U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM

10,615 posts, read 7,541,774 times

Advertisements

And why do you think developers are willing to pay so much for the land to build apartments in Buckhead? Because people want to live near where they work / play.

People coming in from out of town are more likely to take transit or get a hotel near Lenox / Phipps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM

29,422 posts, read 26,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep, because why would you pay the extra cost to live near where you work and play like people have done for millennia when you can use free super highways, parking, subsidized gas and transit to come in from far away. This apartment complex is just one sign of many that people are starting to shift back and be "locals" again instead of commuters.
I'm okay with the new apartments as long as they are well done. Even if they were all built they won't add that much traffic.

What's clobbering the Lenox area isn't the locals, however, but the hordes of people coming in from other areas. Unfortunately most of these out-of-area drivers simply refuse to take transit, even though it's sitting right there.

But that's Atlanta (and most other US cities) for you. People holler for transit but they don't want to mess with it themselves.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,073,749 times
Quote:
And why do you think developers are willing to pay so much for the land to build apartments in Buckhead? Because people want to live near where they work / play.

People coming in from out of town are more likely to take transit or get a hotel near Lenox / Phipps.
I wonder how many apartment renters work in Buckhead (no doiubt many play there) It would be an interesting data point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm okay with the new apartments as long as they are well done. Even if they were all built they won't add that much traffic.

What's clobbering the Lenox area isn't the locals, however, but the hordes of people coming in from other areas. Unfortunately most of these out-of-area drivers simply refuse to take transit, even though it's sitting right there.

But that's Atlanta (and most other US cities) for you. People holler for transit but they don't want to mess with it themselves.

Why do you think that 2500 apartments won't add that much traffic? Atlanta (and its residents) are pretty car centric and I am guessing that with the high rents will come car owners. If they can easily walk to work or take MARTA, then they might, but I am guessing they will use their cars plenty.

I also wonder why you think so many folks are hollering for transit. Part of the reason T-SPLOST failed, I think, was the number of voters who thought to much was being spent on transit and not enough on road projects. Most people don't envision using MARTA on a daily basis, even if it was available for their commute.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I wonder how many apartment renters work in Buckhead (no doiubt many play there) It would be an interesting data point.
Not very many!
Quote:
Why do you think that 2500 apartments won't add that much traffic? Atlanta (and its residents) are pretty car centric and I am guessing that with the high rents will come car owners. If they can easily walk to work or take MARTA, then they might, but I am guessing they will use their cars plenty.
Oh, there will be some impact but not an Armageddon. For one thing, it's unlikely that all 2500 apartments will actually be built.

Even if they are built there would still be very low residential density in that area. What's creating their traffic headaches is all the shoppers and commuters from outside. They simply won't take transit even though it's staring them in the face.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not very many!
Source? I lived in a couple apartments in Buckhead when I worked there. Most people in the building seemed to work around the area. A few I know took the train to Midtown or Downtown. One guy worked in perimeter but they all were always was out around Buckhead so that is why they choose to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom

I also wonder why you think so many folks are hollering for transit. Part of the reason T-SPLOST failed, I think, was the number of voters who thought to much was being spent on transit and not enough on road projects. Most people don't envision using MARTA on a daily basis, even if it was available for their commute.
Here is the thing, if you make roads free people will come and fill them up until the time spent in traffic "costs" too much. This is why we need more HOT and toll roads. You want less traffic, make people pay for the roads they drive on and price it higher during congestion. Use that money to pay for bottle neck improvements. Do the same thing with transit.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,663,755 times
Official: Apartment Tsunami Will Agitate Buckhead Traffic - Development du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM

I think that is just the author of the original article being cited as an "Official".

Quote:
Gordon Certain, the president of the North Buckhead Civic Association, is also an engineer—not a traffic engineer he is quick to say...

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Source? I lived in a couple apartments in Buckhead when I worked there. Most people in the building seemed to work around the area. A few I know took the train to Midtown or Downtown. One guy worked in perimeter but they all were always was out around Buckhead so that is why they choose to live there.
I'm using the census data, which indicates that around 8-9% of the people who live in the area work there.

That's not unusual -- I think the number is about 10% for Midtown, 13% for downtown, and about 8% for Perimeter. We're just a spread out town.

Of course this is just for work. Local residents still go to grocery stores, restaurants, schools, churches, etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I think that is just the author of the original article being cited as an "Official".
That is a pretty low density residential area compared to many other 'hoods around town.

East Cobb it is not, but to be smack dab in the middle of town it is not bad.

Last edited by arjay57; 08-28-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM
fzx

385 posts, read 389,377 times

Can anybody tell me what is ACA school on the map?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or