U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,659,543 times

Advertisements

"There are several apartment projects being developed in Buckhead, but some residents are concerned that the new housing units will put thousands of additional cars on the road each day..."

Full Story: North Buckhead residents fear apartment traffic - Reporter Newspapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM

23,381 posts, read 17,555,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
"There are several apartment projects being developed in Buckhead, but some residents are concerned that the new housing units will put thousands of additional cars on the road each day..."

Full Story: North Buckhead residents fear apartment traffic - Reporter Newspapers
Some of the projects are close to the new Buckhead station pedestrian bridge over 400. Being that convenient to transit will entice some to ride.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

29,361 posts, read 26,311,861 times
I'd be very surprised if all of those apartments are actually built. The invisible hand of the market will control.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,166,359 times
I see this story in two lights:

1.) (Taken at face value) Having lived in North Buckhead for the last 8 years, I can say without a doubt traffic can be horrendous during peak commuting hours and during holidays. Since the neighborhood is centered on Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza (and all of the various shopping centers around those two locations), we have a lot of traffic from around the region packing the streets. Since Peachtree is the only north-south avenue through the entire district, bottlenecks happen on a daily basis.

For those of us who live in the area, simple tasks like driving home from work or to the grocery store can be a frustrating act. I personally do not drive at all during the week and take the train in to work. Luckily, I live within close walking distance of a grocery store too. For those who are a little of the beaten path or, because it's North Buckhead, have no desire to use transit the traffic situation seemingly has no end. It's not as if at this point, because of the densification of the area that occurred in the 90s and 00s, another north-south avenue could be built.

With several huge apartment projects on the horizon, and no plans for any road or transit expansion in the area, I can see why there would be people in the district who would be oppossed to this happening so quickly. There would have to be a way to mitigate the increased traffic and, as far as I know, the city doesn't have any immediate plans to do so.

If the original plan for the Peachtree Streetcar had been built (it was supposed to go all the way to Brookhaven), this would be less of an issue. It seems though that there is no streetcar line planned for this segment of Peachtree for quite some time, if ever.

2.) (Irrational point of view) Another thing I have noticed in the 8 years I have lived in this neighborhood is that there is a strong dislike for "renters" in the area. In my building, and in every building in my immediate neighborhood, the HOAs have very strict controls on how many units can be rented. Some even do not even allow it. It's the classic let's keep "them" out of "our" neighborhood.

Personally, if feel the reasoning behind that view is mixed between both economic (North Buckhead has one of the highest media incomes in the State) and racial (North Buckhead is one of the "whitest" neighborhoods in the City) undertones. To which the radical part of me says "Bring on the apartments!"

I do find this reasoning flawed though given all of these projects are high end luxury apartments, so it won't change anything in that regard.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,133,788 times
Stupid.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,356,411 times
Of course somebody has to bring race into it.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM
fzx

381 posts, read 387,462 times
Wait until the elephant in the room: the old citypace site. If the 16-acre land becomes an apt. complex, that would double the the est. population growth in the area and add more traffic problem.

I feel it is interesting that Councilman Shook takes two different attitudes towards the approved apt. and the old citypace site. In one sentence: general development in the area is good but not in my backyard.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Of course somebody has to bring race into it.
Are you saying that isn't a factor in some of the opposition to this? If so, I would say that is rather naive.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Wait until the elephant in the room: the old citypace site. If the 16-acre land becomes an apt. complex, that would double the the est. population growth in the area and add more traffic problem.

I feel it is interesting that Councilman Shook takes two different attitudes towards the approved apt. and the old citypace site. In one sentence: general development in the area is good but not in my backyard.
From what I understand, there is a push to have the proposed CityPlace site turned in to a park. Even though I was a fan of the development, I'm all for the new plan being floated since North Buckhead sorely lacks public green space.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM

29,361 posts, read 26,311,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
(Irrational point of view) Another thing I have noticed in the 8 years I have lived in this neighborhood is that there is a strong dislike for "renters" in the area. In my building, and in every building in my immediate neighborhood, the HOAs have very strict controls on how many units can be rented. Some even do not even allow it. It's the classic let's keep "them" out of "our" neighborhood.
Hm, aren't limitations like that pretty common in condo buildings everywhere, waronxmas?

If it's about race that would be ultra-illegal. However, I think it has to do with ensuring that operating expenses and maintenance will be paid. In a condo building the owners have not only made a big capital investment, they remain on the hook for maintenance and upkeep.

The heavy traffic in that area isn't coming from local residents. The vast majority of the cars come from other areas -- people coming to shop, work, go to the movies or dinner, or just cutting through en route to somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or