Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 19,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I live in Lithonia also. Honestly, your best bet is to wake up and leave extra early to beat the traffic. If you make it to I-20 early enough (like between 6am and 6:30am) traffic is relatively light. Although you'll likely get to work pretty early, at least you're not spending the morning sitting in traffic. Plus, it may impress your boss. You may have to test it out a few times to get it just right. You may also want to try taking 285 (north) to Hwy 78 (west) and ride N. Druid Hills to Buckhead. But I'm not sure if that will be a whole lot better.
That's the route I took on Thursday. I do not want to go on 75. I know I will regret that move! I was planning to leave around 7 but I'm not sure if I can do 6! Lol I wonder if my new boss would be open to me coming in early. May be worth me trying! Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Well OP you are SOL lol
Thanks! Lol I'm not so sure I could be so dependent on public transportation anyway. I don't like relying on someone else to get me there. But thank you for the advice anyway.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_girl_moving_to_Ga View Post
Thanks! Lol I'm not so sure I could be so dependent on public transportation anyway. I don't like relying on someone else to get me there. But thank you for the advice anyway.
I would still try it. The commuter bus goes directly into downtown. It doesnt make a million stops. If you are going to be in traffic anyways Id rather be on a commuter bus reading or taking a nap

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Take the express bus into downtown and then take Marta to Buckhead

Xpress...commuting made easy. Operated by the GA Regional Transportation Authority
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
N Druid Hills is just as bad as the Interstates. Its the only way to get from the East Side into Buckhead directly.

This is just a suggestion but what about taking the 428 Panola to Perimeter Center Xpress bus then taking MARTA down to Buckhead. B'head is only two stops south from Dunwoody where that bus lets off at.
Quote:
I would still try it. The commuter bus goes directly into downtown. It doesnt make a million stops. If you are going to be in traffic anyways Id rather be on a commuter bus reading or taking a nap
Unfortunately, taking the commuter bus into Downtown Atlanta to connect with MARTA heavy rail service to Buckhead as gerrythesnake suggested, or taking the 428 GRTA Xpress commuter bus from West Conyers/Panola Road to Perimeter Center as Mgyeldell suggested are probably your 2 best options for avoiding a grueling rush hour drive between the Browns Mill Road area of far-east Lithonia/DeKalb County and Buckhead.

Atlanta's road network is just not developed enough (and will never be developed enough) to handle the crush of cars that it must carry at rush hour (it's like the road network was only built to handle the rush hour vehicular movements of a metro region of 2.5 million, NOT the rush hour vehicular movements of a metro region with a population of over 6 million people, which is the current population of the Greater Atlanta region).

With a rush hour commute between Lithonia and Buckhead, you're probably either going to have to be willing to leave for work much earlier or make full use of one of the limited transit options that exists between Lithonia and Buckhead.

In addition to using GRTA Xpress commuter buses into the city or leaving more than 2 hours early for work, some other options for getting between Lithonia and Buckhead include:

...Using I-285 Northbound to get to the Indian Creek MARTA Station (there's an exit ramp that runs directly off of I-285 Northbound and directly into the parking lot of the Indian Creek MARTA Station) and catching the Green/Blue (East-West) MARTA heavy rail line into Downtown Atlanta where at Five Points Station you can transfer to the Red/Gold (North/Northeast-South) MARTA heavy rail line and ride to Buckhead.

...Or following GA Hwy 155 Northbound to North Druid Hills Road, turning left on North Druid Hills Road and using North Druid Hills Road/East Roxboro Road/Roxboro Road Westbound.

Using MARTA and/or GRTA Xpress will minimize the amount of driving that you will have to do during rush hour.

Following GA Hwy 155 Northbound (Flat Shoals Parkway/Flat Shoals Road/Candler Road/South Candler Street/East College Avenue/Clairemont Avenue/Clairemont Road) to North Druid Hills Road/East Roxboro Road/Roxboro Road Westbound will be a route that is chock full of both stoplights and heavy rush hour traffic, but at least it will keep you off of the Interstates.

Either way, with such a LIMITED and CONFUSING road network and with such a notable lack of alternative routes (along with having a freeway network that has likely reached the limits to which it can be expanded...meaning the freeway network is likely to be expanded very little, if any in the future beyond this point despite the increasing traffic, Metro Atlanta has been judged to have the WORST arterial road network of any major metro region in the country by most transportation experts) you might want to SERIOUSLY consider using transit on most days...SERIOUSLY.

Otherwise, outside of using transit, your only other option is to leave for work before 6:30 AM like equinox63 and PKCorey suggested.

Oh and Welcome to Atlanta!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
How about driving to Indian Creek Marta, parking and taking the train to Buckhead. This would be less stressful than driving since there are no good alternative routes. Is your workplace close to the Buckhead or Lenox stations?

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
How about driving to Indian Creek Marta, parking and taking the train to Buckhead. This would be less stressful than driving since there are no good alternative routes. Is your workplace close to the Buckhead or Lenox stations?

This might be the best advice given

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

I think I saw the exit for that stop when I was making my trial run the other day. I don't have a clue where the stations are in Buckhead or Lenox, however I can tell you that my job is near Lenox Square. I'm from a small town where we didn't have any type of public transportation (no taxis, nothing), you either drove or you walked or rode a bike! So, sad as I am to admit, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to using things like this. I could learn, don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid, it's just not something I've ever been exposed to. But moving to Atlanta there are a lot of things I'm learning for the first time!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_girl_moving_to_Ga View Post
I think I saw the exit for that stop when I was making my trial run the other day. I don't have a clue where the stations are in Buckhead or Lenox, however I can tell you that my job is near Lenox Square. I'm from a small town where we didn't have any type of public transportation (no taxis, nothing), you either drove or you walked or rode a bike! So, sad as I am to admit, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to using things like this. I could learn, don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid, it's just not something I've ever been exposed to. But moving to Atlanta there are a lot of things I'm learning for the first time!
You should just try all 4 options and see which one works best. On your day off you should pratice using the train so you can get used to it. You should consider moving closer to your job

Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You should just try all 4 options and see which one works best. On your day off you should pratice using the train so you can get used to it. You should consider moving closer to your job
Agree on your first 2 points but I'm stuck in this lease for a year so I'm here for another 51 weeks. So if I got on at Indian Creek, is there only one train that departs from there? Then I just get off at whichever stop I need to get off at to switch over? I wish I knew somebody local that could teach me!! Lol I feel silly!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
I would avoid 285 North to hit Marta. Usually slows down prior to the exit. It be easier to just take Wesley Chapel to N. Hairston. Make the left at umm, Redan Road, follow the signs and you will run into Indian Creek Station.

Use Google maps to help with directions for the train and commuting. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta