U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM

927 posts, read 1,909,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You will get that in Atlanta for sure.
Since what is generally the highest concern with moving to a new city, job prospects, is out of the picture, it looks like you really just want to know if Atlanta is a good fit for your lifestyle and cultural tastes.

Since you're interested in art Autumn, you can *definitely* find a scene here. Granted, it's not going to be like most of the aforementioned cities, but you can still be happy here and might find yourself appreciating the change better overall, since you'd have money to actually travel, save, and enjoy living more.

What I like about the city too is that it's great for enterprising spirits. It is fertile ground for people who see a niche and work to make it grow, and that includes the art scene. While we may not have as many huge museums, we've got a pretty active grassroots arts community including a vibrant group of street artists. In addition to checking out the cultural events in our alt-weekly, Creative Loafing (available online as well here:Atlanta Art Galleries, Atlanta Visual Arts, Atlanta Theater, Atlanta Comedy | A&E | Creative Loafing Atlanta), look into the following:

-The Goat Farm
Goat Farm Leads Atlanta's Arts Scene - Business Insider

- Living Walls- street art coalition
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jaime-...b_3787662.html

-Various art strolls; mostly free:
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...ks-in-atlanta/

- Wonderoot:
The rise of WonderRoot and Atlanta's new grassroots art movement | A&E Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta

And, to give us a little more credit, we certainly beat out San Diego as a "city." I just had a conversation yesterday with a friend about how I think SD is overrated; but that's just me, not starting any fights here haha.

In addition, I think most folks who really get to experience Atlanta find it's not what the expect, and in a good way. We have got far more festivals and vibrant restaurant/food scene than you're probably aware of. I do get frustrated by our transit system, but if you choose your neighborhood wisely, you can find yourself much less reliant on a car than you may have imagined.

I love D.C., and my friends get annoyed to pieces because whenever I go there I talk about how cute every little thing is. At the same time, I've travelled all over the country and have spent significant time in most of the cities you mentioned. I currently live in the cultural epicenter that is New York City, yet I find myself realizing that culture does not necessarily lead to overall quality of life. Though there is much room for Atlanta to improve culturally and in its urban planning/transit, Atlanta has such a better balance overall in *living* that I would easily move back.

Finally, and most important, a lot of folks who complain about Atlanta's cultural offerings do not actually live there. They live in the burbs. They get pulled into the outskirts by the low cost of living, and then wind up complaining about how much Atlanta sucks. If a super cheap apartment ends up drawing you outside of the city limits, you will regret it. Look into the Old 4th Ward, Inman Park, Midtown, and Va-Hi neighborhoods of the city to get the closest to what you're looking for.

Last edited by bizchick86; 08-24-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:53 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,649,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn_Leaves12345 View Post
Ok let's be honest, DC has far better festivals, restaurants and shopping than ATL. Who are you trying to kid? It's hard to get good Sushi in Atlanta. My sister and I stopped at a trendy little spot in Midtown called Ra Sushi Bar for lunch, but the sushi wasn't anything to write home about. You know something is wrong when you're more impressed with the ambiance than the food.

I'll never lie about Atlanta as a city when comparing it to other places, just to make myself feel good about my relocation decision.
I'm not going to make an argument one way about DC vs ATL...

But I am merely going to say you haven't lived here yet...

Don't come here with this attitude or you will set yourself up for disappointment. Ok, do you didn't like one sushi place? So what?

From what you've told us you still have yet to really explore and experience Atlanta outside visiting your sister.

You still need to live here day in and day out for awhile, explore neighborhoods, find your niche, try various restaurants. We're actually pretty good on the dining experiences, but you have to learn this city and learn how to find your way around. We also have a ton of neighborhood festivals, many of which I'm sure you haven't experienced yet either. You may or may not like them. We do have more than our fair share of folksy/craft festivals compared to an older northern city, but we do much much more than that.

But if you tell yourself different up front your not really looking for it....

Good luck on your decision

Old 08-24-2013, 03:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,909,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm not going to make an argument one way about DC vs ATL...

But I am merely going to say you haven't lived here yet...

Don't come here with this attitude or you will set yourself up for disappointment. Ok, do you didn't like one sushi place? So what?

From what you've told us you still have yet to really explore and experience Atlanta outside visiting your sister.

You still need to live here day in and day out for awhile, explore neighborhoods, find your niche, try various restaurants. We're actually pretty good on the dining experiences, but you have to learn this city and learn how to find your way around. We also have a ton of neighborhood festivals, many of which I'm sure you haven't experienced yet either. You may or may not like them. We do have more than our fair share of folksy/craft festivals compared to an older northern city, but we do much much more than that.

But if you tell yourself different up front your not really looking for it....

Good luck on your decision
This.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,129,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn_Leaves12345 View Post
Ok let's be honest, DC has far better festivals, restaurants and shopping than ATL. Who are you trying to kid? It's hard to get good Sushi in Atlanta. My sister and I stopped at a trendy little spot in Midtown called Ra Sushi Bar for lunch, but the sushi wasn't anything to write home about. You know something is wrong when you're more impressed with the ambiance than the food.

I'll never lie about Atlanta as a city when comparing it to other places, just to make myself feel good about my relocation decision.
Most of DC's festivals are on the National Mall generally on a large flat space generally. Nothing in DC compares to our festivals such as the Atlanta Jazz Festival, Inman Park Festival, Dogwood Festival, Decatur Arts Festivals, etc. Atlanta restaurant scene is more diverse and better than DC. We have better farm to table restaurants and our restaurants scene is way more diverse than DC. DC has better seafood since it is near the Chesapeake Bay. Our restaurants in Decatur, Roswell area, Inman Park, Buford Hwy, etc kills DC food scene. We will pass DC by a mile next year when the restaurants at KSM, PCM and BA opens. Atlanta shopping is better. We have more luxury stores, more outlets, better boutiques, etc. Again we will pass DC by a mile in shopping next year when PCM and BA opens. Don't feel bad because DC has better museums, transit, it is closer to NYC and DC has better jobs . As far as music festivals DC has nothing similar to ours. Unless a poster has lived in both cities at least 3 years they can't give a honest opinion on this topic. They are just giving opinions based on their sensitive feelings.

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 08-24-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,926,206 times
I have lived in both for several years as an adult and grew up in the Atlanta area also. I think Dc is better for young people and single people because there are more bar/partyhop areas than in Atlanta. There is nothing in Atlanta like U street, Adams morgan, georgetown, etc. Yes Dc also has a lot of tourist type stuff, a million musueums, and also it's near the water so you can do dinner, lunch, and party cruises on the Potomac which is something I really enjoy.

But Atlanta does have a great cost of living and outside of missing my family that's the main thing that I miss about it. The amount of money I was able to save while living there was insane. Plus the housing stock is newer and bigger.

It's hard to say if you'll like Atlanta. I had quite a few friends leave Ga that also got jobs in DC. Some ended up leaving DC because they hated it mainly because of the cost of living, some love it and have said they will never return to Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I have lived in both for several years as an adult and grew up in the Atlanta area also. I think Dc is better for young people and single people because there are more bar/partyhop areas than in Atlanta. There is nothing in Atlanta like U street, Adams morgan, georgetown, etc. Yes Dc also has a lot of tourist type stuff, a million musueums, and also it's near the water so you can do dinner, lunch, and party cruises on the Potomac which is something I really enjoy.

But Atlanta does have a great cost of living and outside of missing my family that's the main thing that I miss about it. The amount of money I was able to save while living there was insane. Plus the housing stock is newer and bigger.

It's hard to say if you'll like Atlanta. I had quite a few friends leave Ga that also got jobs in DC. Some ended up leaving DC because they hated it mainly because of the cost of living, some love it and have said they will never return to Atlanta.
I disagree about the nightlife. I think DC has a few more venues but I think Atlanta as more quality variety. My issue with DC nightlife was that nobody dances and have fun except at the ghetto Go Go's. All of the places I went to in DC during my time theire will filled with people just standing around looking at each other. The main thing I hated is all the promoters catered to people between 21-25 so everyone over that age is forced to party with the younger crowd. This also ment that you see the same people all the time. In Atlanta all you have to do is party with a different promoter to see new faces. In DC you can only party either with the ghetto Go Go crowd or with the young professionals that all hang in the same social circles. In Atlanta it is divided up into several subgroups that do not never mix together which is good. The major difference is all of DC nightlife is there and easy to find. In Atlanta outside of the obvious places to party in Atlanta you have to look for the good parties in Atlanta. DC does have a better happy hour scene And bar scene and Atlanta has a better party scene. Buckhead bar district=Georgetown, Adams Morgan=Midtown, U st=Edgewood, etc. Events like Old School Saturday, Mjq, Atl live in the park, wind down Wednesdays, our house music scene, etc cant be found In DC but I did enjoy going to Dream and Vip club back in the day. On the surface DC is better but once you figure out all of the non mainstream stuff locally Atlanta wins easily especially if you are black and over 30

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 08-26-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,135,460 times
Lived in DC in my youth. Lived here in Atlanta since college.

It would not be a bad move, but the warning that your supervisor is giving you is related to your future employment. The economy in Atlanta is on the poor side compared to other metropolitan areas of a similar size. Although your current job with the goverment is secure, will you be content working the same position at the same salary 5 years on?

If the main purpose is to save money, then yes... you can save every month on rent by moving to Atlanta... but you could also save on rent by moving in with a roomate/boyfriend/girlfriend in D.C.

Atlanta is not as cosmopolitan as D.C. (few cities in the world are). Unlike D.C., as soon as you travel 45 minutes out of Atlanta you are in much more sparsely developed exurbs among many folks who just don't bother going into the city due to the traffic and lack of rapid transit options.

D.C. puts you 4 hours out of NYC and a slew of other large cities up the east coast (Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc).

Atlanta puts you 4 hours out of Savannah, 5 hours out of Nashville, 1.5 hours from Chattanooga, 2 hours from Augusta and about 3 hours from Charlotte. I think that you have to travel to Miami (over 12 hours) or D.C. (12 hours) to reach the next city of comparable size to Atlanta. It is a different pace of life, and it will take a lot of adjusting and time to build a new social network.

Would I do it in your place? Maybe not as a single person, unless I had concrete plans for the additional money that would be saved. Is rent in one of the more desirable sections of town (VaHi, etc) *that* far off from what you're probably paying in D.C.?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,926,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I disagree about the nightlife. I think DC has a few more venues but I think Atlanta as more quality variety. My issue with DC nightlife was that nobody dances and have fun except at the ghetto Go Go's. All of the places I went to in DC during my time theire will filled with people just standing around looking at each other. The main thing I hated is all the promoters catered to people between 21-25 so everyone over that age is forced to party with the younger crowd. This also ment that you see the same people all the time. In Atlanta all you have to do is party with a different promoter to see new faces. In DC you can only party either with the ghetto Go Go crowd or with the young professionals that all hang in the same social circles. In Atlanta it is divided up into several subgroups that do not never mix together which is good. The major difference is all of DC nightlife is there and easy to find. In Atlanta outside of the obvious places to party in Atlanta you have to look for the good parties in Atlanta. DC does have a better happy hour scene And bar scene and Atlanta has a better party scene. Buckhead bar district=Georgetown, Adams Morgan=Midtown, U st=Edgewood, etc. Events like Old School Saturday, Mjq, Atl live in the park, wind down Wednesdays, our house music scene, etc cant be found In DC but I did enjoy going to Dream and Vip club back in the day. On the surface DC is better but once you figure out all of the non mainstream stuff locally Atlanta wins easily especially if you are black and over 30
None of those areas remotely compare. U st to Edgewood???? When was the last time you went to U street cause that's a far stretch. It's too bad Buckhead was torn down but that was probably the only thing that was somewhat equivalent to what they have in DC. I've been to many clubs in Atlanta where there was no dancing and many clubs in DC where was plenty of dancing. It depends on the crowd. Some people go to clubs to be seen and have no interest in dancing and that's true in both cities. I love Atlanta and plan to move back to be near my family, but to me it's just a more boring place to live honestly. I can always find something to do in both, but it's much easier in DC.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,981,450 times
Quote:
Some people go to clubs to be seen and have no interest in dancing and that's true in both cities. I love Atlanta and plan to move back to be near my family, but to me it's just a more boring place to live honestly. I can always find something to do in both, but it's much easier in DC.
That was something I learned when I first moved here. A lot of people don't go out here to dance, they go out to stand around, drink and talk. I thought that was rather odd for nightlife because where I came from, the purpose of going out was to dance. I've gone out a few times in Atlanta where they played music good enough for me to dance to, but they mostly play hip-hip and Top 40 and I don't listen to either.

Atlanta doesn't have a good dance club scene (just my opinion). You gotta get connected to find good underground parties and events where they play good music and you can actually dance to.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
None of those areas remotely compare. U st to Edgewood???? When was the last time you went to U street cause that's a far stretch. It's too bad Buckhead was torn down but that was probably the only thing that was somewhat equivalent to what they have in DC. I've been to many clubs in Atlanta where there was no dancing and many clubs in DC where was plenty of dancing. It depends on the crowd. Some people go to clubs to be seen and have no interest in dancing and that's true in both cities. I love Atlanta and plan to move back to be near my family, but to me it's just a more boring place to live honestly. I can always find something to do in both, but it's much easier in DC.

I can see your point especially if you are not know of what is going on here. I DJ part time so I have to know everything that is going on. To me DC was boring nightlife wise unless you just like standing around. I'm more of a partying type verses just standing around type. Plenty of venues but no energy in none of them. DC has no Old School Saturday type party, no MJQ, no real day parties, no after hour spots, no real Old School spots, etc. DC is kinda like South Beach in the sense that the nightlife is right in the open though. Atlanta is more like NYC where you have to really know people that knows what is going on to direct you in the right direction. Most of the good events here are only advertised via email so if you are your friends are not on the email listing you will never know about most of the good events here are not advertised on the radio. I actually think this is better for Atlanta because it keeps out the riff raff. If you are ever back home and really want to know what is going on PM me and I will let you know the real spots and not the mainstream stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or