Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buckhead Nightlife:Better than ever or the same or worse than before?
Better than ever 7 22.58%
Worse than before 19 61.29%
The same 3 9.68%
other 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
ATLTJL, you should work to get something like this set up in your neighborhood.

You have to wonder why more neighborhoods don't seek out late night mega-cruising, stereo-blasting, street-trashing, drug-dealing, gun-shooting bar districts of their own.
Depends which came first. IE the midtown folks should not be complaining about the clubs/lounges since they knew those places were there and most of them prob moved down there to take advantage of those establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
I don't know whether you did or didn't. The post I was referring to (and which I quoted) said:
"If you really want to be angered over people using the deaths of people as an excuse to deny club permits and enforce early closures that cost tax payer millions in Alcohol revenue,then those Buckhead business owner who were subsequently involved in enriching themselves in the ensuing years with development deals,should infuriate you more so than her statements."
You're the one who took issue with my skepticism about claims that the alleged loss of alcohol revenue is somehow a cause for outrage and a justification for maintaining the absurdity that descended on Buckhead.
Its not just about the alcohol revenue.Its about the image of a city like Atlanta that is not a destination city.If we are simply going to be a "nice" place to live,then we might as well be Charlotte.
Charlotte is a great city,but you dont go to Charlotte for its nightlife.

A world class city has to have a world class nightlife.Right now at best Atlanta is good not great.Its used to be great.
Buckhead residents maybe better off but the city is not.My issue is more with the affect on the whole city.Not Just Buckhead.
If they had just done what they did in BV ONLY, I believe things today would be much better in terms of nightlife options and the cities allure would be on another scale,In some regards its past image might be what has kept it busy today.
.They tried to force people to go to Underground by making and acception there as far as closing times.

By no means am I suggesting we return to the old days of mayhem as some of you suggest.Even though I actually DID live in Buckhead back then.Not in the village but not far.
I also worked security at nights on the weekend at where ESPN Zone was.I saw everything including the police cars and mayhem the night of the Ray Lewis Case in 2000.

You mentioned earlier about how people lost money.Initially they did not,They only lost money as a consequence of the markert going South.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
A world class city has to have a world class nightlife.Right now at best Atlanta is good not great.Its used to be great.
afone, I love cities with good nightlife.

However, the ridiculous chaos that descended on Buckhead was not "world class nightlife." In fact it was anything but.

World class nightlife doesn't involve hundreds of people driving down the street in the wee hours with horns blaring and stereos booming, public urinating and puking, street trashing, gunplay, etc. That is total yahoo conduct and an embarrassment to any city that aims to be top rank.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I agree, Arjay. I live near the Buckhead Village area and don't want to see the club scene return. But I'm wondering about those arguing that that scene was a good thing. I could see the club owners themselves and their employees would be upset about the changes, but it seems those who live elsewhere but just liked to party here could move on. There are plenty of clubs to choose from in Atlanta, so I'm wondering what the motivation is to worry about what Buckhead used to be?
OMG!Nobody is worried about anything accept the direction the city is going.And no one said that chaos was a good thing either.Please quote someone who said that.I don't remember it.

You cannot tell me that you never heard people saying how much fun they USED to have in BV.At least I hear it all the time.
In fact until I started reading some of the other post I started to remember that it was better then than now.
In my business I own , I host a lot of international young professionals and Ithey want to go out.
m not a clubber at all!.
Ive been going out lately because to be honest I was able to loose 80ibs and I am fit and single.
I feel good about how I look again and going out and showing my new self is rewarding for me. Im not ashamed to admit that.
I like to dance but I was so out of shape and I could not do that for more than 5min without feeling like I was going to die!I dont even drink alcohol.I think beer is disgusting.

As I have been more active lately I can tell you there are a lot of BARS but there are not many dance clubs and lounges like there used to be.It looks like its changing finally for the better but its no way a good thing for a city that I think is world class should have just an slightly better than average nightlife.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
afone, I love cities with good nightlife.

However, the ridiculous chaos that descended on Buckhead was not "world class nightlife." In fact it was anything but.

World class nightlife doesn't involve hundreds of people driving down the street in the wee hours with horns blaring and stereos booming, public urinating and puking, street trashing, gunplay, etc. That is total yahoo conduct and an embarrassment to any city that aims to be top rank.
WHY do you keep saying this?!!!Is that all you are getting out of my words even though I repeatedly stated that is unwelcome d behavior?
Even though what you said happens in most places that do have world class nightlife.Its just contained in better.Buckhead is somewhat suburban its density level is the problem.The layput is not made for that type of environment.
Downtown is a much perfect fit.Eventually I believe in decades to come(5-20)more and more will move downtown.Edgewood is Downtown in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM

I'm not fussing at you, afone!

I'm just pointing at the moaning we often read on this board about the supposed nightlife Nirvana of old Buckhead and how it was all taken away unfairly -- by the city, by greedy real estate developers, by intolerant Buckheadians, name-your-meanie -- is nonsense.

What killed the nightlife in Buckhead was too many obnoxious and out of control patrons. No, of course that doesn't include everyone but there were enough to ruin things. Very few lived in the area or had any stake in it. If they had, they wouldn't have treated it so shabbily.

Those are the facts pure and simple. If people insist acting like rude idiots then eventually they will wear out their welcome. That is as true in any part of town as it is in Buckhead.

I fully agree that the hard partying nightlife scene should move to Edgewood or downtown.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not fussing at you, afone!

I'm just pointing at the moaning we often read on this board about the supposed nightlife Nirvana of old Buckhead and how it was all taken away unfairly -- by the city, by greedy real estate developers, by intolerant Buckheadians, name-your-meanie -- is nonsense.

What killed the nightlife in Buckhead was too many obnoxious and out of control patrons. No, of course that doesn't include everyone but there were enough to ruin things. Very few lived in the area or had any stake in it. If they had, they wouldn't have treated it so shabbily.

Those are the facts pure and simple. If people insist acting like rude idiots then eventually they will wear out their welcome. That is as true in any part of town as it is in Buckhead.

I fully agree that the hard partying nightlife scene should move to Edgewood or downtown.
im cool.
Do you think that Atlanta's nightlife image needs improving?Or is it good enough?Or do you know enough to say either way?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Quote:
Charlotte is a great city,but you dont go to Charlotte for its nightlife.
Actually, uptown Charlotte has a much better night life district than anything Atlanta currently has.

Many smaller cities do. I've even started to hear a little buzz that Birmingham is starting to develop a neat little scene of its own....even though that's hard for me to believe!

I can tell you that I went to Asheville recently and their scene slaughters ours. We may have places that are better than any of theirs, but they figured out how to put a lot of it in a central district.

I actually think midtown is the best venue because it has the physical space to allow for it. I don't know if Edgewood has enough buildings to support a critical mass of night establishments to create a fun district.

Buckhead is dead and gone, but it's interesting to hear arjay with his NIMBY attitude say maybe I should have it in my backyard. Actually, this is precisely what Duluth is trying to do. With the addition of Eddie Owen Presents, the city has recognized the need to have a place people can go after shows, so they have tried to encourage anyone who wants to open bars or pubs. The trouble is, little Duluth so far has been too far out or lacks the space to attract development, but the laws have been made amenable to it if anyone wants to try to start it up. Of course, we also have a police force that is proactive and will never let things get the way Buckhead did. I, for one, welcome vitality to our downtown even though I know it will probably never happen.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
im cool.
Do you think that Atlanta's nightlife image needs improving?Or is it good enough?Or do you know enough to say either way?
Well, I'm a local so it's hard to say what out of town people think.

However, based no my own friends and guests, and some acquaintances in the hospitality business, it's my impression that most people see our town as a very lively place. These days we have lots of nightlife areas -- yes, Buckhead is one of them but people can also visit Atlantic Station, Midtown, downtown, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Edgewood, L5P, Castleberry Hill, and a slew of other places. New places are popping up all the time.

We're a big city and it's not necessary for everybody to trek to one "party district."

In my opinion that's in line with other major cities I've visited over the years.

Could things be better? Sure, that's always the case. Personally I miss places like Backstreet and the Limelight where you could find a huge dance floor with great music and sound. Rupert's was a blast too. They were safe and accessible and you could dance till you dropped and take a cab home. Maybe there are still places like that but I don't know.

I'm also a huge fan of live music and I'm always anxious to see more places like that.

One other category of places I like are cool, quiet bars where you can have a drink or two and carry on a conversation.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
<Shrug> Buckhead circa 1990-1998ish was a blast. I have many, many fond memories of East Village Grill/Raccoon Lodge, CJ's, Pat Hurley's, Lulu's, Orchestra Pit; even "Bar." I went to New Orleans for a year and then came back and it was totally different. The cruising, catcalls, and just overall vibe was not fun anymore and seemed way seedier. I'm not getting into the argument you guys are having, but just remember the good ol' days. I don't think they could be successfully recreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta