Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buckhead Nightlife:Better than ever or the same or worse than before?
Better than ever 7 22.58%
Worse than before 19 61.29%
The same 3 9.68%
other 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's true, Buckhead has a bunch of bars over there. It always did.

What you're failing to realize is that Buckhead used to also have a lot of bars in Buckhead Village....but what it REALLY had there were CLUBS. There's a difference, you know. If you want to just go out and have a few drinks in a chill environment, then yeah, bars are fine.

But if you want to go out and really party, Buckhead used to have actual clubs. You could go dance to disco at Bellbottoms. You could go hear some pretty decent dance music at Paradox or Uranus. You could go check out the dirty wet t-shirt contest Girls Gone Wild style flashing at Mako's or the sleazy dry humping at Bar Atlanta. You could go get your Latin on the Havana Club. You could go get crunk at Fluid. I can't remember the name of the reggae place, but you could go hear singer/songwriter type music at the Elbow Room or chill with a fishbowl on the roof at Lulu's Bait Shack. And you could do all this in about a 3 or 4 square block area, stumbling through the streets that had been cordoned off for cars and only allowed pedestrian traffic. And when it was all over, you could quite easily just catch one of the hundreds of cabs that were always around waiting to take drunk people home. If you wanted to do all of this on a random Tuesday or Wednesday night, there were generally enough college kids and conventioneers to keep the place at least mildly crowded. On weekends it was a madhouse.

It's definitely a shell of its former self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Wish I could rep you bro. You summed up the old vibe perfectly.

This only makes me cling even more tightly to my crackpot conspiracy theory that it was nothing more than a land grab orchestrated by the powers-that-be for a developer buddy that blew up in their faces. Can you imagine the revenue the city lost from alcohol licenses and sales taxes in the 7+ years since Buckhead Village fell apart? And think of the damage to Atlanta's "reputation" amongst conventioneers.
Two great posts. Very true and I totally agree.

Don't know what you got until it's gone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM

148 posts, read 232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

I mean yes the bars in the area are packed but it's just a bunch of people standing around drinking and talking with DJ's playing crappy Top 40 music. For me personally, that's not my idea of a great nightlife.
Or go to a club and hear crappy Top 40 music, just louder and with fancy lighting. Now that's what I call nightlife. Bottomline, if you are into bars, there isn't another area in Atlanta that offers the density of Buckhead. If you're into the hipster vibe, you have to go to East Atlanta, and if you're into clubs, they're all spread out over the city. The old Buckhead had a high density of clubs and bars and all types of people. It was a place for everyone. Times were different, and even if it was still here, there is no guarantee that it would have the same vibe. A nightlife area is only as good as it's patrons.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
I think the city regrouped and now its definitely better than before.Not Buckhead but Atlanta's nightlife has become more diverse and eclectic.
Can we all agree that all the areas mentioned will probably keep growing.?After all,none of them are getting smaller.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Buckhead ins't walkable and there is no transit access.
Which makes for an awful experience.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Atlanta's club scene will never recover from the loss of Backstreet and 112.

The end.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The only way to get there is to drive.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
MARTA stops running at 1am.

That makes it a moot point for night life even in areas that have transit access.

Which Buckhead actually does because the Buckhead MARTA station isn't that long of a walk to the bars.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
MARTA stops running at 1am.
Folks should be home in bed way before then!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If a man can't get his drinking done by 1 am he might want to take a little look in the mirror.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM

221 posts, read 431,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If a man can't get his drinking done by 1 am he might want to take a little look in the mirror.
I don't start drinking until 1am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta