Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM

12 posts, read 23,319 times

Advertisements

We are actually looking forward to buy a home in next few months and trying to find a good location .The fulton coutny Alpheretta areas like windward,johns creek are very high in demand these days and have highly priced homew wheather its a new construction or existing,the price in these areas does not fit in our budget but forsyth county cumming areas on exit 12 and 13 is what we are interested in as we think we can purchase the house that we are looking for in this area in our budget but we have got mixed reviews from the people located here where i live in Marietta in *appartment community.Some people says that its a area that is in fast process of development and in 4-5 years when will be completely developed and would be in high demand.And the schools are of higher rating.
But others says that it is not currently an area where you dream your home,thoiugh school ratings are high but that area is not considered as a posh area but at some places its looks like a village,is it true?
What do you think about these cumming areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
What's "wrong" with living that far north, is that you lose easy access to Atlanta, and that does affect demand. Anybody who needs to commute into town would quickly rue the purchase. If you don't have to worry about that, then just look carefully at the home you want to buy. I've seen some pretty shoddy construction in some new neighborhoods in Forsyth. They look fine, but there is a reason the prices are what they are. I haven't read anything negative about the schools.

And, forgive me if I am assuming too much, but you don't write like a native English speaker. Parts of the northern edges are not exactly diverse.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM

161 posts, read 405,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What's "wrong" with living that far north, is that you lose easy access to Atlanta, and that does affect demand. Anybody who needs to commute into town would quickly rue the purchase. If you don't have to worry about that, then just look carefully at the home you want to buy. I've seen some pretty shoddy construction in some new neighborhoods in Forsyth. They look fine, but there is a reason the prices are what they are. I haven't read anything negative about the schools.

And, forgive me if I am assuming too much, but you don't write like a native English speaker. Parts of the northern edges are not exactly diverse.
All I can say that your post is wrong in all regards:

1) Most people who live in N. Fulton either work in the area, work from home, or work no further than Buckhead, making travel to DT unnecessary. So living far north is not a hindrance, because there is an excellent array of amenities there already.

2) exits 12 & 13 are HIGH demand areas!!!

3)Diversity is very common in the northern suburbs, this isn't 20 years ago anymore with many of the newcomers being educated, upper middle class 1st generation immigrants.

4)btw... The schools are top in state.

5) homes are affordable not due to shoddy construction, but surplus of inventory, and now that is changing... So buy sooner than later.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta28 View Post

1) Most people who live in N. Fulton either work in the area, work from home, or work no further than Buckhead, making travel to DT unnecessary. So living far north is not a hindrance, because there is an excellent array of amenities there already.
I suppose the veracity of this statement depends on what you consider "north Fulton".
Quote:
There has certainly been a lot of construction there in the past 15 years. Too bad that traffic planning and zoning was done so poorly.

Quote:
3)Diversity is very common in the northern suburbs, this isn't 20 years ago anymore with many of the newcomers being educated, upper middle class 1st generation immigrants.
You're being disingenuous. Diversity is certainly common in Gwinnett county, but Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody and Cumming have quite a ways to go if you are comparing them to other areas within 20 miles of Atlanta
Quote:
Which isn't saying much. South Forsyth is a good school. North Forsyth... not so much?
Quote:
5) homes are affordable not due to shoddy construction, but surplus of inventory, and now that is changing... So buy sooner than later.
Ok, this statement is *definitely* disingenuous. are you a realtor?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
If you live in Marrietta, just drive up there on the weekend and spend a day there. You will quickly see if its the right place for you or if its too rural.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta28 View Post

Sorry, I disagree. I live in North Fulton. it is more diverse here than it is in Cumming, for certain. Cumming is NOT North Fulton.

Most of the people in my area commute to both the city and the airport, on a regular basis.

If neither of those is a concern for the OP then the house hunt need not take it into consideration.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 23,368 times
I live just across the line into south Forsyth. Here are a few positives over living in north Fulton...

- Property taxes are lower, about 8-10 mills lower the last time I looked.
- Schools are just as good, if not better. Stick to the South Forsyth and Lambert High School feeders.
- Diversity. Guess it depends on who you ask. In my cul-de-sac I find families from India, China, Romania and Ghana. And two African-American families are on our street. That's pretty diverse.

Downsides... south Forsyth will develop faster than Alpharetta. We're starting to see larger proposed developments, numbering in the hundreds of homes on small lots. North Fulton will largely be limited to in-fill development from here on out.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
It won't be rural for long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta