Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And now that poor girl is scarred for life! I personally hate the sorority / fraternity system and think kids who base their entire college life around it are selling themselves out. I was a G.D.I. and proud of it!
I know, seems superficial. My college didn't have sororities, but instead had "eating houses" and you could join whichever you wish. I'm guessing it's probably a bigger deal to the mother and grandmother, who've put lots of time (committee/charity work) and money (donations) into the sorority than to the girl herself. My mom was a big sorority person, so I'm sure she was disappointed when I didn't go the Big SEC school route, but she never said a word to me about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
As always, Aries is a wise poster. I would also suggest looking at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and the University of South Carolina in Columbia. My daughter is a sophomore at UGA and had a high B - low A mix of grades at one of Atlanta's private schools. Even though she had great SAT scores, she still was waitlisted for UGA. Her backup was Alabama.
My cousin's daughter graduated from an exclusive prep school in Virginia. Good grades. She was still waitlisted at UGA. My cousin, her mother, marched her into the Admissions Office,
and introduced her to the entire staff.
One week later, the Acceptance Letter arrived.
It pays to be creative.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,105 times
All are good schools and if your child can get into UNC I would say to go there. If not really Auburn and UGA are much closer academically than most people in Georgia will admit. The incoming student stats at Georgia have gotten better because of Hope but both of the schools offer similar opportunities for good students. Auburn is a bit easier to get into but not as much as you might think because Auburn has capped enrollment the last few years so it is getting much tougher.

Looking at that specific major it is in the College of Engineering at Auburn so if it generally is closer to the engineering side the program may be stronger at Auburn than it is at UGA. UGA doesn't have nearly the engineering background that Auburn has. I am saying this just looking quickly though because I wasn't very familiar with the major before seeing what colleges it fell under at both schools.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

221 posts, read 247,757 times
UNC is overhyped, you basically will pay the price because of the phony "prestigious" aura associated with UNC.

UNC is obviously closer to the northeast and more of those students are willing to go there than farther south to a small town like Auburn. Their "selectivity" is more about their location than being a superior college.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
With a high B, low A average, Auburn seems like a good choice and attainable. But with this type of GPA (even though it is a good one!), UGA will be a reach for your daughter as well.

Everyone I know that has attended Auburn loved it. Great school, good quality of life, and very convenient to Atlanta--and only like 2.5 hours (maybe 3) from the Florida Panhandle beaches!

Also--Auburn has large out-of-state population (though most of the out-of-state pop is Georgia/Southeastern U.S. centered)...which will help your daughter feel less out of place.

Have y'all also looked into Clemson University? Or the University of Tennessee? These schools are excellent options that could be appealing to your daughter as well.

UT-Knox is a sun grant school, def recommend. That being said, UGA's agricultural science and environmental science program is probably one of the strongest in the south. UGA gets more research dollars from the FDA, EPA and USDA more than any other area of study I bet. The EPA has a research office up there. GA Tech is also good for environmental engineering, but you'll need the grades of course. UT-Knox is also fairly easy to get into in comparison to UGA and UNC..maybe Auburn as well. Greek life is big at all schools mentioned.

List of colleges and universities in Georgia (U.S. state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Southeastern Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, UNC has real prestidge. People who graduate from UNC are more intelligent than their peers that come from other schools. Their programs are ranked globally, they get tons of research dollars, they have a massive endowment, a great alumni network, excellent facilities and they're a public school. If you live in North Carolina, get your kid to get into UNC.

UGA is not equal to Auburn. roflmao. Georgia>Auburn.

Being OOS(out of state) makes no difference for UGA admissions, they've noted that on their admission blog by Dr. Graves. Many public schools do tend to favor OOS kids for money, but UGA isn't doing that, not yet at least.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM

UNC is easy to get into if you do ok in high school in NC. So unless you believe that somehow high school kids in NC are more intelligent than high school kids in other states, there is no basis in fact they are more intelligent than their peers.

UNC has no engineering programs, which is pretty lame for a large flagship state university. I think any state university with engineering has more intelligent students than UNC does. UNC is a big liberal arts and business school.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM

"UNC is easy to get into"

You are either way removed from the college application process or royally confused.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...at-chapel-hill

28% acceptance rate. 28k applications. 96% have a 3.75+ GPA. 1300 avg SAT score. Ranked 30th in the nation. 2.1 billion endowment.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...apel-hill-2974

You don't need engineers to have an above and beyond student body and alumni network.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM

What do you get paid for gushing over UNC on here? Do they pay you to do PR for them?

I think most engineering students are more intelligent than your average UNC student majoring in easy stuff like sociology and political science and marketing.

The research dollars thing is an empty calories stat that has nothing to do with the majority of undergrad students who won't be doing research. Most of the research UNC does outside of their science programs is useless.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Too much misinformation on the internet already. Don't mind me, I'm just looking out for the curious high school senior who may read your post and believe it. Yikes.

UNC is NOT easy to get into.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM

UNC isn't easy to get into, out of state. I never denied that, but you act like UNC students are little Einsteins in waiting which is hilarious. I couldn't gush over college kids like you do.

If you took AP classes in high school in NC, and did ok, you will get in to UNC if that is your goal. Given they have no engineering programs, a lot of the smarter kids in the state don't even apply there, going to NC State or UNC-Charlotte instead.

I think UNC's "selectivity" out of state is only a function of it being in the south but not too far from the northeast so they get more interest from students up north than schools farthur south will like Auburn. Given the higher demand to go to UNC b/c of location, they can take students with higher GPAs than other colleges farther south. They then use this stat to argue they are just a notch above but the quality of the education isn't even being measured here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta