U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 AM

6,379 posts, read 4,531,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

In my opinion, MARTA needs to focus on continued improvements to its current service area, including the addition of WiFi, improved train frequencies, introducing limited retail services to stations (such as the food stands project), fixing the old information screens in many stations, building a new website (the current one is horribly outdated), and continuing work on TODs at existing stations, with planned rail expansions as a secondary goal dependent on funding.

- skbl17
Which is basically what Ive been saying. Everything you just said Ive been saying. More at existing stations. Not too interested in adding stations yet, especially when the people cant find a place to sit at Peachtree Center and Omni Station.

And just to be a little more clear, with the Cobb vs Marta conversation. People keep saying Marta sucks because it doesnt come here to Cobb when its the exact opposite. Cobb is terrible for not joining Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton. Thats the simple point I am making with that statement. Metro Atl is not shrinking, its growing. Cobb being anti Marta and anti Atlanta hurts all of us in the region, but it seems Im the only one who sees it as so. I have to stand on my own.

Last edited by 0nyxStation; 06-27-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,491,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Which is basically what Ive been saying. Everything you just said Ive been saying. More at existing stations. Not too interested in adding stations yet, especially when the people cant find a place to sit at Peachtree Center and Omni Station.

And just to be a little more clear, with the Cobb vs Marta conversation. People keep saying Marta sucks because it doesnt come here to Cobb when its the exact opposite. Cobb is terrible for not joining Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton. Thats the simple point I am making with that statement. Metro Atl is not shrinking, its growing. Cobb being anti Marta and anti Atlanta hurts all of us in the region, but it seems Im the only one who sees it as so. I have to stand on my own.
The good news is a lot of what skb mentioned, MARTA is actively working on, like wi-fi in stations and trains, retail in stations, fixing the info displays and reatime train data, and developing the TOD projects. I haven't heard anything about a new website but agree both the website and their apps are pretty janky. I think they could probably do a lot better if they outsourced that work (if they don't already; and if they do, yikes, time for a new contract)

MARTA actually did the research on every single station's transit oriented development potential. Go here and click on any station on the map: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. It explains a lot about why MARTA has been developing the stations it has, and which might be next.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:17 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,310,560 times
I think all stations should have restrooms and either water fountains or vending machines where you can get a drink. That would seem to be some basic improvements that could be made.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The good news is a lot of what skb mentioned, MARTA is actively working on, like wi-fi in stations and trains, retail in stations, fixing the info displays and reatime train data, and developing the TOD projects. I haven't heard anything about a new website but agree both the website and their apps are pretty janky. I think they could probably do a lot better if they outsourced that work (if they don't already; and if they do, yikes, time for a new contract)

MARTA actually did the research on every single station's transit oriented development potential. Go here and click on any station on the map: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. It explains a lot about why MARTA has been developing the stations it has, and which might be next.
Interesting, ill have to check out the link. I see articles here and there in bizjournal. I definitely want to see more.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think all stations should have restrooms and either water fountains or vending machines where you can get a drink. That would seem to be some basic improvements that could be made.
Most of them already do (and all have restrooms)

Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Most of them already do (and all have restrooms)
This is true. I dont think all of the rest rooms need to be open though. The top 14 stations should unlock the restrooms and lock the other half based on tap numbers. Im assuming when they count ridership they count both the tap on (entering tap) and the tap off (exiting tap). The station with the most taps should open their restrooms. They should also use this method when it comes to Wifi. No point in installing wifi routers at stations with low ridership. It would be better use of resources to enhance the more used stations. What do you think Gulch?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:11 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Quote:
Completely agree that many of the stations, particularly the busy ones, need a lot more benches.

Quote:
Not having MARTA is Cobb's loss. Clayton is coming online, and there's a real chance that Gwinnett could follow soon. Just wait 'til Cobb continues to grow, the new Braves stadium comes in, and the demographics of Cobb continue to shift to less and less white. Then I think the pro-transit voices will start to rise up.

That being said, if Cobb could politically figure out a way to just get a rail line up to Cumberland and Smyrna, I think that could get the ball rolling. All they would have to do is make it possible so that, in such a scenario, only Cumberland and Smyrna would pay the 1% sales tax, and they couldn't be double-taxed if, say, MARTA were to extend to the entire county.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:55 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
This is true. I dont think all of the rest rooms need to be open though. The top 14 stations should unlock the restrooms and lock the other half based on tap numbers. Im assuming when they count ridership they count both the tap on (entering tap) and the tap off (exiting tap). The station with the most taps should open their restrooms. They should also use this method when it comes to Wifi. No point in installing wifi routers at stations with low ridership. It would be better use of resources to enhance the more used stations. What do you think Gulch?
I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 PM

349 posts, read 758,431 times
Rail stations in Roswell/Alpharetta. Are we there yet?

Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
Rail stations in Roswell/Alpharetta. Are we there yet?
What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or