U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Reputation: 2647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And all North Fulton will get is buses, then they can point and say 'see transit doesn't work.'
My sympathy for North Fulton's transportation mess is at rock bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,004 posts, read 16,139,085 times
Reputation: 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And all North Fulton will get is buses, then they can point and say 'see transit doesn't work.'
And they will continue to pay the MARTA Sales Tax that has been paid almost 50 years that get slow buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
And they will continue to pay the MARTA Sales Tax that has been paid almost 50 years that get slow buses.
Fulton County leaders had the opportunity this year to put forth a referendum and include it on the list. Elected leadership chose a bus system instead. This is not MARTA's fault in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Fulton County leaders had the opportunity this year to put forth a referendum and include it on the list. Elected leadership chose a bus system instead. This is not MARTA's fault in the least.
I would bet a month's paycheck that Sen. Albers is just fine having the state spend $1.8 billion on these lanes despite his "fiscal conservatism."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM
bu2
 
8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And all North Fulton will get is buses, then they can point and say 'see transit doesn't work.'
It would probably be the best solution IF the lanes went all the way to town. But they don't. They stop at 285 and its doubtful they go any further because of how 400 is squeezed through Buckhead. So they either force a transfer at Dunwoody to MARTA, have the bus detour all the way to the 85 toll lanes or have the bus sit in 400 traffic inside 285. All of those probably make it noncompetitive with cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It would probably be the best solution IF the lanes went all the way to town. But they don't. They stop at 285 and its doubtful they go any further because of how 400 is squeezed through Buckhead. So they either force a transfer at Dunwoody to MARTA, have the bus detour all the way to the 85 toll lanes or have the bus sit in 400 traffic inside 285. All of those probably make it noncompetitive with cars.
The buses will merge back into the general traffic lanes and use the existing ramps at North Springs. MARTA already has BRT in managed lanes plan.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfile...idor/BRTML.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,942 posts, read 2,909,809 times
Reputation: 3178
Ironically the fact that it's a BRT will probably make the service even worse than it would be otherwise.

I mean, right now you can get on a bus at Windward P&R that will take you directly to North Springs, with no stops. Already that's pretty useful. If they just simply had the existing MARTA express bus services from Mansell and Windward (and other routes), be able to use the new managed lanes to bypass rush hour congestion, that would be a huge improvement vs what exists now.

But making it into a BRT with 5 stops or whatever... that's adding in unnecessary intermediate stops for people who are going to North Springs or going to their destination from North Springs.

Buses have one advantage over trains- it's easier to run express service. So why take that one advantage away? Just have the express bus be frequent, and improve the ramps to directly access the managed lanes, and directly access the parking lots without having to navigate surface roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 01:56 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Ironically the fact that it's a BRT will probably make the service even worse than it would be otherwise.

I mean, right now you can get on a bus at Windward P&R that will take you directly to North Springs, with no stops. Already that's pretty useful. If they just simply had the existing MARTA express bus services from Mansell and Windward (and other routes), be able to use the new managed lanes to bypass rush hour congestion, that would be a huge improvement vs what exists now.

But making it into a BRT with 5 stops or whatever... that's adding in unnecessary intermediate stops for people who are going to North Springs or going to their destination from North Springs.

Buses have one advantage over trains- it's easier to run express service. So why take that one advantage away? Just have the express bus be frequent, and improve the ramps to directly access the managed lanes, and directly access the parking lots without having to navigate surface roads.
That's exactly what this plan will get watered down to when all is said and done, and it will be nearly impossible to construct a rail extension to boot.

We're getting a lot for nearly $2 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM
 
291 posts, read 91,120 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As was posted in another thread, it appears from this move that extending the Red Line north along GA 400 is dead.

Now there will be some sort of cheap bus, running in HOT Lanes that has to mix with traffic to exit or just simply point-to-point express buses along the corridor.
https://www.myajc.com/blog/commuting...bnEdLAaX65lmN/
I'm trying to source a good answer on this question, but there doesn't seem to be one one out there right now. MARTA has known about the managed lanes for at least a couple years but was still pushing for/hoping for a Red Line extension. And the Fulton TMP and North Fulton Comprehensive Transportation Plan both considered implementation of both the Red Line extension and the managed lanes. I'm still hoping they are both possible, but HRT expansion is very unlikely right now, regardless of the managed lanes project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I'm trying to source a good answer on this question, but there doesn't seem to be one one out there right now. MARTA has known about the managed lanes for at least a couple years but was still pushing for/hoping for a Red Line extension. And the Fulton TMP and North Fulton Comprehensive Transportation Plan both considered implementation of both the Red Line extension and the managed lanes. I'm still hoping they are both possible, but HRT expansion is very unlikely right now, regardless of the managed lanes project.
This is what happens when your state's constitution hamstrings GDOT from using motor fuel tax revenue on mass transit projects. Instead, we're getting half-ass "BRT" which will do very little, especially for the monstrous price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top