U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM
bu2

8,979 posts, read 5,679,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Something seriously needs to be done in that direction. It aggrevates the heck out of me that they neglect that corridor with such extremity when it clearly needs attention. I remember when there was talk of adding HOV lanes and the reconstruction of the Lithonia Industrial Blvd & Evens Mill Rd imterchanges and they even widened the new overpasses like they were really going to widen the highway and after that...they upgraded the I-285 / I-20 interchange (which was much needed) and just forgot about I-20... Honestly I-20 seems like the most forsaken interstate in the metro both in terms of lanes and transit options.
I don't remember what they did, but there was a lot of construction outside 285 a couple of years ago. I remember frequently being caught in it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM

4,946 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As was posted in another thread, it appears from this move that extending the Red Line north along GA 400 is dead.

Now there will be some sort of cheap bus, running in HOT Lanes that has to mix with traffic to exit or just simply point-to-point express buses along the corridor.
https://www.myajc.com/blog/commuting...bnEdLAaX65lmN/
Unbelievable. I hope the North Fulton voters see this proposal for what it is--another barrier to rail expansion--and vote down this joke of a proposal in November.

Meanwhile, Perimeter Center and its fully functional rail line continues to boom.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,712,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Unbelievable. I hope the North Fulton voters see this proposal for what it is--another barrier to rail expansion--and vote down this joke of a proposal in November.

Meanwhile, Perimeter Center and its fully functional rail line continues to boom.
PC's rail connection doesn't have much to do with its progress. The vast majority of PC employees are going to be coming down I-75 from Cobb (no real transit), down I-85 from Gwinnett (no real transit) and down GA-400 from N. Fulton. GA-400 does have some form of transit up it, but they're buses that sit in the same traffic, and two miles of rail from North Springs to Dunwoody. Not many people coming down 400 are going to pay $85+ per month to ride a bus to transfer to a train to go 2 more miles. That's like how the State Farm building is advertised as being "transit connected." yes, it's technically true, but realistically, it's not. Maybe a few people come up from in-town to PC, but that number pales in comparison to the number coming down from Cobb, Gwinnett and N. Fulton. Get rail up 400, then get rail out to Cumberland and Doraville from PC, THEN it will be transit connected with transit-fueled growth.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:44 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,562,154 times
Quote:

is it going up to a vote?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:59 AM

4,946 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
PC's rail connection doesn't have much to do with its progress.
Not directly, but transit connection is definitely a selling point for incoming corporations. You should take a look at the upcoming plans for the area--they are impressive. You think it's any coincidence that State Farm simply moved next-door, even closer to the Dunwoody station, and Arby's has its world headquarters right across the street from the Sandy Springs station?

Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 AM

4,909 posts, read 3,712,042 times
Quote:
Not directly, but transit connection is definitely a selling point for incoming corporations. You should take a look at the upcoming plans for the area--they are impressive. You think it's any coincidence that State Farm simply moved next-door, even closer to the Dunwoody station, and Arby's has its world headquarters right across the street from the Sandy Springs station?
Did you even read what I wrote??? PC may technically be "transit connected" but practically speaking, that has a very very small impact.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:28 AM

291 posts, read 91,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Both-managed lanes and Red line extension. Don't believe both happen.
You're probably right, unfortunately. I just hope MARTA can preserve some ROW for the future possibility. I'm tired of the "planners" (and it's usually the politicians rather than the actual civic employees) doing things in a way that intentionally eliminates any possibility of projects that we all know might be needed, even if it is 30-40 years from now.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Something seriously needs to be done in that direction. It aggrevates the heck out of me that they neglect that corridor with such extremity when it clearly needs attention. I remember when there was talk of adding HOV lanes and the reconstruction of the Lithonia Industrial Blvd & Evens Mill Rd imterchanges and they even widened the new overpasses like they were really going to widen the highway and after that...they upgraded the I-285 / I-20 interchange (which was much needed) and just forgot about I-20... Honestly I-20 seems like the most forsaken interstate in the metro both in terms of lanes and transit options.
I-20 East and West are middle income areas, therefore do not have the political pull that the Northern Arc does. Also, I-20 East is majority African American voters and democrats, so the republican led state government is not going to throw them a bone.

Quote:
PC's rail connection doesn't have much to do with its progress. The vast majority of PC employees are going to be coming down I-75 from Cobb (no real transit), down I-85 from Gwinnett (no real transit) and down GA-400 from N. Fulton. GA-400 does have some form of transit up it, but they're buses that sit in the same traffic, and two miles of rail from North Springs to Dunwoody. Not many people coming down 400 are going to pay $85+ per month to ride a bus to transfer to a train to go 2 more miles. That's like how the State Farm building is advertised as being "transit connected." yes, it's technically true, but realistically, it's not. Maybe a few people come up from in-town to PC, but that number pales in comparison to the number coming down from Cobb, Gwinnett and N. Fulton. Get rail up 400, then get rail out to Cumberland and Doraville from PC, THEN it will be transit connected with transit-fueled growth.
Even more reason to build NW and NE transit lines and connect them via Top End.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,674,818 times
Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote??? PC may technically be "transit connected" but practically speaking, that has a very very small impact.
I worked at the Bank of America Plaza in front of North Avenue station, just below Midtown station, and I think I read somewhere that half of the workers at BoA Plaza got to work by train. Certainly, going to and home from work, I would see lots of attorneys for the firm I worked at, lots of coworkers.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,674,818 times
Quote:
PC's rail connection doesn't have much to do with its progress. The vast majority of PC employees are going to be coming down I-75 from Cobb (no real transit), down I-85 from Gwinnett (no real transit) and down GA-400 from N. Fulton.
I couldn't find any hard numbers for Perimeter, but here's some for Midtown.

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...-web-ready.pdf
For people that commute to Midtown, only 61% drive alone. The rest use alternate transportation (12% MARTA rail, 7% bus).

https://www.atlantadowntown.com/_fil...survey-vf1.pdf
For people that commute to Downtown, only 54% drive alone. 11% take MARTA bus, 7% take Marta train, 5% take GRTA/Express, 12% Carpool or Vanpool.

I went to Perimeter yesterday from Buckhead, and Perimeter was a complete mess in the afternoon. Instead of taking a left as expected, Google Maps sent me right and went in a big circle to get to the mall. Perimeter needs all the alternate forms of transportation it can get. Just because things are close or fine now doesn't mean they will stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or