U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM
 
1,809 posts, read 1,547,624 times
Reputation: 1626

Advertisements

The Perimeter Mall area is so desirable because it is at the center of the most prosperous part of the metro, is at the junction of 285 and 400, and has rail access. Employers know that their workers can get to the office from the most likely residential areas using whatever mode they want. That leads to less trouble filling openings and lower payroll costs.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
4,908 posts, read 3,704,919 times
Reputation: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The Perimeter Mall area is so desirable because it is at the center of the most prosperous part of the metro, is at the junction of 285 and 400, and has rail access. Employers know that their workers can get to the office from the most likely residential areas using whatever mode they want. That leads to less trouble filling openings and lower payroll costs.
Except as I stated just a few posts ago, THEY CAN'T! How exactly are people in Cobb and Gwinnet, AKA the most likely residential areas, supposed to get to PC by anything but a car? There are a few token Xpress routes to PC, but only from a few select areas, and at very limited times. The three buses each from Cobb and Cumming, and the 4 from Gwinnett add to a grand total capacity of 600 people. That's tiny.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Except as I stated just a few posts ago, THEY CAN'T! How exactly are people in Cobb and Gwinnet, AKA the most likely residential areas, supposed to get to PC by anything but a car? There are a few token Xpress routes to PC, but only from a few select areas, and at very limited times. The three buses each from Cobb and Cumming, and the 4 from Gwinnett add to a grand total capacity of 600 people. That's tiny.
That's for the state to fund and get serious about transit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Reputation: 2148
I really hope MARTA could use it’s private partners to help fund 400 North rail since our state is too blind to realize the need. At the end of the day, it’s all about the private sector, and I’m sure they’re not gonna be happy about the loss of productivity due to traffic and the costs associated with maintaining huge amounts of parking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM
 
291 posts, read 90,443 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I really hope MARTA could use itís private partners to help fund 400 North rail since our state is too blind to realize the need. At the end of the day, itís all about the private sector, and Iím sure theyíre not gonna be happy about the loss of productivity due to traffic and the costs associated with maintaining huge amounts of parking.
The state should really look at implementing a Tax Increment Financing system to support MARTA expansion. It seems like a somewhat easy win-win.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Reputation: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Did you even read what I wrote??? PC may technically be "transit connected" but practically speaking, that has a very very small impact.
Calm down--we're talking past each other. You're probably referring to the number of people who actually get on the train, but the presence of transit itself is a positive for attracting businesses. Examples:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...REE/904089982/ (They are now located very close to a New York Subway station)
Amazon wants mass transit. Are Triangle cities out of luck? | News & Observer

I repeat--consider the major offices of all the corporations in the Perimeter area:
-Arby's (world HQ)
-Mercedes-Benz (North American HQ)
-Airwatch
-COX
-State Farm (regional HQ; their move was simply a consolidation right next to a transit station...which they helped expand)

Etc. And Perimeter isn't done yet!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
4,908 posts, read 3,704,919 times
Reputation: 2460
Yes, that's my point, the businesses in PC are just short of lying about being "transit connected" to attract people and put on a good public face. But who cares about that when only a tiny fraction of people can actually use it? Any business from the airport through Buckhead/Lenox is indeed transit connected from both a technical and practical perspective. People from many major residential areas can actually realistically get to those places by using transit as other than a token gesture.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 04:00 PM
 
1,809 posts, read 1,547,624 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Except as I stated just a few posts ago, THEY CAN'T! How exactly are people in Cobb and Gwinnet, AKA the most likely residential areas, supposed to get to PC by anything but a car? There are a few token Xpress routes to PC, but only from a few select areas, and at very limited times. The three buses each from Cobb and Cumming, and the 4 from Gwinnett add to a grand total capacity of 600 people. That's tiny.
Someone who lives in Cobb or Gwinnett decided to live a carcentric lifestyle when they moved to those counties.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 PM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Reputation: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Someone who lives in Cobb or Gwinnett decided to live a carcentric lifestyle when they moved to those counties.
Yeah, Suburban cul-de-sacs are never going to have viable high-capacity transit options.

The best businesses can do is locate near transit stops and their workers can follow to transit connected area. Or they can just get new workers as is happening in many of these cases. The companies are just fine losing car-dependant suburban workers in favor of transit connected folks in town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, Suburban cul-de-sacs are never going to have viable high-capacity transit options.

The best businesses can do is locate near transit stops and their workers can follow to transit connected area. Or they can just get new workers as is happening in many of these cases. The companies are just fine losing car-dependant suburban workers in favor of transit connected folks in town.
I think BRT becomes more viable in the close-in suburbs. Most subdivisions are located somewhere near a major road. Where I live, people already walk from their subdivisions to the bus, but the wait times are atrocious, especially for such busy corridors (In my case that would be Flat Shoals Rd and Roosevelt Hwy in South Fulton). For further out suburbs buses are too slow, you need commuter rail in the far suburbs and exurbs.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top