U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 PM

47 posts, read 54,359 times

Advertisements

Downloadable versions:

Removed - as a new member, you are not able to post URLs or links to non-major sites. You must have an established posting history to do so.

For comparison, here is the system as it exists today:

Rationale

With expanded rapid transit connecting its widely-spaced neighborhoods inside the perimeter and its far-flung suburbs outside the Perimeter, Atlanta would be a better, more easily-traveled city:

Removed - as a new member, you are not able to post URLs or links to non-major sites. You must have an established posting history to do so.

I tried to incorporate the following currently-documented MARTA expansion plans into the map:

* I-20 East Corridor: http://www.itsmarta.com/I20-east-corr.aspx
* West Line Corridor: http://www.itsmarta.com/west-line-corr.aspx
* Georgia-400 Corridor: http://www.itsmarta.com/north-line-400-corr.aspx

Train Lines

The Burgundy Line is a new line extending south from Five Points Station; it connects Five Points with new stations at Turner Field and Grant Park (Zoo Atlanta), then continues south a few miles east of I-75, terminating at a new station near Fort Gillem.

The Red Line changes only to extend further north (from North Springs station) and further south (from Airport station). In the south, the extension connects to new stations in Riverdale and Jonesboro, with the latter serving as the new southern terminus of the line. In the north, the extended line continues to parallel GA-400, adding new stations near the intersection of Northridge Road and Highway 9, at Holcomb Bridge Road just east of GA-400, at Mansell Road and North Point Parkway, at North Point Mall, Alpharetta Square (Old Milton Parkway and Highway 9), then terminates near Windward Parkway. The new rail station at Windward Parkway would probably replace the existing Windward Park-and-Ride bus terminal.

The Orange Line could provide some value and traffic relief to the northern suburbs, forming a far-northern arc across the "top" of the metro area. Its western terminus is located near the Woodstock city center; the line extends east to Sandy Plains (near the intersection with Highway 92), then to Roswell (likely somewhere along Highway 9 between Marietta Highway and Holcomb Bridge Road). From there, the line continues east to North Point Mall (with transfers to the Red Line), then to Milton / State Bridge Road and John's Creek, turning southeast toward an eastern terminus at Gwinnett Place Mall.

The Gold Line, like the Red Line, builds on an existing line, extending further both to the north and the south. In the south, the line extends around the perimeter of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport to connect to the International Terminal; this extension provides Terminal F air passengers an outside-security alternative to the Plane Train, and adds normal rail service to the city of Hapeville. From there, the line continues to Forest Park, then terminates at Southlake station near Southlake Mall. In the north, the line extends east from Doraville station to a new station in Pleasantdale, continuing from there to a station near the intersection of Jimmy Carter Boulevard and I-85. The line then continues northeast, with new stations near Gwinnett Place Mall, Sugarloaf Parkway, and a terminus near the Lawrenceville city center.

The Lime Line is a short spur branching off from the Burgundy Line at Grant Park; it serves the southeastern sector of the city inside the perimeter, just south of I-20, terminating close to where the eastern part of I-20 intersects with I-285.

The Green Line transforms from its current state -- a subset of the Blue Line plus a short, one-station spur to Bankhead -- into a loop serving the central Midtown-Downtown area. The western spur to Bankhead is curved back to the east to a new Georgia Tech station located at the southwestern corner of campus (near the intersection of North Avenue with Marietta Street), then the line continues to the existing North Avenue Station, then to a new Ponce de Leon station (somewhere along Ponce de Leon Road between the intersection with Charles Allen and the intersection with the Beltline). From there, the line continues to new stations Fourth Ward (near the Historic Fourth Ward Park) and Freedom Park (Freedom Park / Little Five Points), before completing the loop at the existing Candler Park station.

The Emerald Line cuts west-to-east across the northern part of the inside-Perimeter metro area. The western terminus Silver Comet station serves the eastern end of the Silver Comet Trail (at the Silver Comet Connector), near the intersection of South Cobb Drive and Cumberland Parkway. From there, the line continues east to a Paces Ferry station at the West Paces Ferry exit on I-75 (intersection of Northside Parkway and West Paces Ferry), then to a Chastain station at the eastern side of Chastain Park (somewhere between Lake Forest Drive and Roswell Road on West Weiuca Road). The line then turns south, briefly, to a Powers Ferry station (intersection of Powers Ferry Road and Roswell Road). It then resumes toward the east, first integrating into the existing Buckhead station, then into Lenox station (thus bridging the Red and Gold lines in the Lenox Mall area). The Emerald Line then briefly parallels the Gold Line to Brookhaven station before diverging to the east to a Dresden station (near the intersection of Buford Highway and Clairmont Road). It then crosses I-85 to serve a station near Northlake Mall (near the eastern Perimeter), crosses I-285 to serve a station located in downtown Tucker, then turns southeast to an eastern terminus station in the city of Stone Mountain, serving Stone Mountain Park.

The Teal Line connects Marietta, Roswell, and Norcross in an arc across the northern metro area outside the Perimeter. It begins in the west at a Big Chicken station (near the Big Chicken on Cobb Parkway), then proceeds eastward to a Morgan Falls station near the intersection of Roswell and Johnson Ferry Roads. It veers northeast to a station near Roswell City Center (also served by the Orange Line), then back east to Holcomb Bridge station (on the Red Line), then southeast along Holcomb Bridge Road to station near the intersections with Nesbit Ferry Road and Spalding Drive. From there, the line continues to a Norcross station near the intersection of Buford Highway and Jimmy Carter Boulevard, subsequently terminating in the east at Jimmy Carter station (on the Gold Line).

The Cerulean Line forms a loop encompassing most of the inner-Perimeter metro area north of I-20, plus some additional land area in the west. Beginning in the north at the existing Medical Center Station, the line proceeds eastward to an Ashford Station (near Ashford Dunwoody Road just south of the northern Perimeter), then to Doraville station, thus bridging the gap between the Red and Gold Lines along the northern arc of I-285. From there, the line curves to the southeast to stations at Shallowford (intersection of Buford Highway and Shallowford Road) and Mercer (serving Mercer University campus), then to the south to serve the Northlake station (on the Emerald Line). The line next connects to a Valley Brook station at the intersection of North Druid Hills Road and Lawrenceville Highway, then to Decatur station, then back to the southeast to a Belvedere station at the intersection of South Columbia Drive and Memorial Drive. The line then curves to the west along Memorial Drive, to a Kirkwood station east of the East Lake Golf Club, to a Memorial Drive station just west of the Villages of East Lake, and an Ormewood Park station on Moreland Avenue just south of I-20, before connecting to Grant Park station near Zoo Atlanta. From there, the line connects to a Capitol View station along University Avenue near I-75/85, then to Lakewood station (served by both the Red and Gold Lines), then to a station Greenbriar close to the western end of Langford Parkway near the southwestern Perimeter. The line then makes a long jump northwest to Kingsbridge station (serving Six Flags Over Georgia), then another long jump north to the Silver Comet station at the western terminus of the Emerald Line (and the eastern end of the Silver Comet Trail). The line then curves back to the east to Galleria station, serving Cobb Galleria and Cumberland Mall. To complete the loop, the line then continues east to Glenridge station (along Roswell Road just inside of I-285, near the intersection with Glenridge Drive) before connecting back to Medical Center station.

The Blue Line retains its current form, but extends further both to the east and to the west. In the west, the line extends westward from Holmes station to a new Oakcliff station just south of the western I-20/I-285 interchange, then to Wisteria Gardens station near the intersection of MLK Jr. Drive and I-20, then terminates in the west at Kingsbridge station (serving Six Flags Over Georgia and the Fulton County Brown Field Airport). In the east, the line extends southward along I-285 just outside the Perimeter, to new stations Glenwood and Wesley Chapel. At the eastern I-285/I-20 interchange, the line turns eastward along I-20 (just north of the highway) toward a new station Panola, then to a station near the Lithonia city center. The new eastern terminus of the Blue Line is Stonecrest station near Stonecrest Mall.

The Purple Line is an in-town loop bounded (roughly) by Peachtree Street in the west, Emory University in the east, Lenox Mall in the north, and the new northern arc of the Green Line loop (serving Midtown / Ponce de Leon Avenue) in the south. In the south, the Purple Line shares stations Georgia Tech, North Avenue, Ponce de Leon, Fourth Ward, and Freedom Park with the Green Line. From Freedom Park station, the line turns northward to Briarcliff station at the western edge of Emory University (near the intersection of Briarcliff Road and Clifton Road), then turns east to Emory station at the eastern edge of campus (near the intersection of Clairmont Road and North Decatur Road). From there, the line turns north to Lavista station (at the intersection of Lavista Road and North Druid Hills Road), then runs west along North Druid Hills Road to Druid Hills station near the I-85 interchange. Proceeding northward, the line continues to Briarwood station near Briarwood Park, then turns westward to serve Lenox station. The line then turns west across GA-400 to Garden Hills station (near where Peachtree Street branches to Peachtree Road and Roswell Road / Highway-9), before turning southward to Haynes Manor station (Peachtree and Wesley Road), Ardmore station (north of Piedmont Hospital), and Brookwood station (on Peachtree Street just north of the northern I-75/I-85 split). From there, the line continues southward to Loring Heights station, serving the mall at Atlantic Station, then to Hemphill station at the northwestern corner of Georgia Tech campus (near Northside Drive and 10th Street), before completing the loop at Georgia Tech station.

The Magenta Line terminates in the east at Decatur station, then runs westward through northern Midtown before turning northwest to run through Cobb along I-75. From the eastern terminus of Decatur station, the line proceeds westward to a new Fernbank station near the Fernbank Science Museum, then to East Highlands station (Briarcliff Road and Virginia Avenue) and West Highlands station (along Virginia Avenue between Monroe Drive and Ponce de Leon Place). The line turns north from there to Piedmont Park station, located at the northern edge of the park, in the vicinity of Ansley Mall. It continues southwest from there to Arts Center station, then towards Loring Heights station (and the shopping center at Atlantic Station). From there, the line turns northwest to Howell Mill station (on Howell Mill Road near the I-75 interchange), then along I-75 to Paces Ferry station (at the interchange of I-75 and West Paces Ferry Road / Northside Drive). The line breaks away from I-75 to the west to serve Vinings Station (near the intersection of Cumberland Parkway and Paces Ferry Road), then turns northward to Galleria station, serving the Cobb Galleria and Cumberland Mall. The line resumes along I-75 to Dobbins station (serving Dobbins Air Reserve Base), then veers briefly to the west to Smyrna station near Smyrna city center, before returning east to Wildwood station at the northern edge of Southern Polytechnic State University. The line again diverges from I-75 to the west to serve Marietta station (located near Marietta Square), then proceeds north to Town Center station (serving Town Center Mall). The line terminates in the northwest at Kennesaw Station, located within walking distance of Kennesaw State University.

----

Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-02-2013 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Giving up on getting the links to work; looks like people will just have to copy/paste. Just updating the formatting so it looks okay...
Rate this post positively

Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM

402 posts, read 637,189 times
Only 27 years away. Can't wait!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,968,819 times
It's a shame how little the current system covers

Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,486,089 times
That is beautiful and nice, lets hope at least half gets done.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 2,139,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
It's a shame how little the current system covers
Blame it on Cobb and Gwinnett counties back when they voted NO because they did not want "bad" people in their county, now they are the 2 of the most diverse counties in the USA, lol.... Hell if I am not dead, I will be 80 in 2040..........

Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,687,269 times
While I think your concept would really help traffic in the ever growing MSA, I would offer a more basic proposal.

First: Extend the green bankhead line north along existing rail to the Cumberland Mall then connect it to I-75 and have it roll northwest stopping at the Town Center Mall.

Second: Extend the gold line from the northeast along existing rail to Gwinnett County, there is a clearing for transformers that goes all the way to I-85. From there I would have it roll along I-85 to the Mall of Georgia and from the airport south along I-75 to the Southlake Mall.

Third: Extend the blue line from the east to the Stonecrest Mall and west to Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville.

Fourth: Extend red line north to the North Point Mall and south from the airport to Fairburn.

Fifth: Create a Perimeter line from Cumberland to Perimeter Center to Doraville.

Sixth: Create a line from Buckhead to Druid Hills to blue line.

This would cover almost all sectors of the area. I used malls as termination points because they offer ample parking and entertaining, plus if you live in the suburbs it's easy to drive to a mall 10 minutes from your house then driving an hour and a half to work.

A map will be posted soon.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM

402 posts, read 637,189 times
Ok, I think I finally have a legitmate question. Why not create more MARTA stations (with no parking) in the downtown, midtown, and Buckhead core?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Attached is the map.
Attached Thumbnails
MARTA 2040: A vision for Atlanta's future rail map-north.png   MARTA 2040: A vision for Atlanta's future rail map-south.png  

Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM

This is the overall map.
Attached Thumbnails
MARTA 2040: A vision for Atlanta's future rail map-overall-marta.png  

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 12,336,844 times
It saddens me to say that I think a 27 year time horizon for this is far, far too aggressive.

Maybe in 2100!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>