Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 18,488 times

Advertisements

There is no easy or quick fix to your problem. You'll find the same in many other "nice" areas. We've gained several good friends that have different ethnic backgrounds. Between their schools, our church, and the children of some of my sorority sisters, my kids have a great mix of friends.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmpopo View Post
Well, its probably because of all the confederate flag wielding natives,hoping their presence with send a message to any future non-white resident, they are not welcome. Most forward thinking would be residents pay no attention to them and continue to move to the area. Don't adopt a defeatist stance and move out of the area. Having seen more and more african-americans move to the area in recent times tells me,your continued stay in B'Mill would continue to draw more of your kind to the area. If its any comfort to you I live in B'Mill,have been for the past 3yrs and am not going anywhere. Love it too much here. My little ones love it too.
To be honest, I live in Cherokee County, and I haven't seen any "Confederate flag-waving natives", not that there is anything wrong with the Confederate flag.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
Damn AtlantaGreg.. I guess you may not be so ignorant after all... Come on everyone, lets sing:

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya O Lord, kumbaya

(getting out the wet fish to slap you with, Monty Python style)

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp4180 View Post
Thank you for your post. I am not trying to be racist, but if I sound that way that was not the intent. What I am saying is that with all Canton has to offer rmany other races and cultures do not come this way. I can relate to anyone, thats how I survived 25 years working on Wall Street. In the long run we all want the same thing. A nice, safe environment where we can learn and grow and be successful.
You didn't sound racist. I was just asking for the clarification because down here you sometimes DO see white AND black people do the "self segregation" bit where either/or of them only want to be around "their own kind" (even if they're not originally from here). You will run across white racists here, and you will also run across black racists here. It's not as common as some would have you thing though - but it does still exist here and there.

Only you know what's right for you and your family. Personally if I found a community to live in where 9 out of 10 pieces fit into place so well, I'd find a way to make up for that one missing piece with activities, and at every opportunity just going places and attending events that will give your kids the broadest range of exposure to other people. You'll find the more you live here that at best most people only find places that fit 5 out of 10 "wants" - you sound like you did very well on your first try and that's EXTREMELY rare here. Don't toss it out unless you feel you have to, and weigh any moving decisions carefully.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
....see last month's thread on this!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:45 PM

43 posts, read 258,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Perhaps we can ask some of the realtors on this board to chime in:

Is it steering or otherwise unethical to recommend a diverse neighborhood as opposed to a homogenous one?

Steering is a very unethical practice and its goal is to maintain an area's homogeneity. Even if a buyer says, " exclude all areas with minorities" a responsible agent is breaking Fair Housing laws by honoring that request. An agent is to fulfill her fiduciary responsibililties by showing properties that meet her clients needs/wants without regard to the makeup of an area. So if an agent finds a house in a diverse area that meets the needs of the client there won't be a problem.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 PM

18 posts, read 99,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmaican View Post
I think this is an interesting topic. Many black parents (my sister included- I really had to school her on this topic) don't realize that thier black children can be just ostracized by other black children if they are not at the same socioeconomic level. In many cases even more so than white children in areas that would be considered to be lacking diversity.

Even in my own family my siblings and I had VERY different experiences. My siblings went to majority black schools since they were school age when my parents just got to this country. When I came around years later my parents were at a different economic level which meant we lived in a higher income community with whiter schools.

Until I discussed this with my sister she never took socioeconomic class into account, only race. She was never exposed to it so she didn't think of it.

The original poster should keep this in mind, and find a diverse area with black families of similar economic levels. Though I'm sure if they try hard enough they can find other black families in a similar situation right in their own neighborhood.

This issue was actually a major part of our house search, and one of the main reasons we live where we do. If I can help it I would like spare my kids the trouble of having to deal with what I did.
Thank you for the post. That is my issue I am looking for people just like me, Having more diversity should not mean that the area is poorer. My question was that Bmill is a upscale great community. All I wan to know is why other races that can afford to be here are not. Most African Americans who are well off tend to migrate towards Cascade. There is no diversity there either it is an all black community. Not that ther is anything wrong with that I just want to have a mixture of all.

Not in anyway am I saying I do not want to be around white people, but it seems the best things that are offered are in the white communities. Schools tend to be better, crime lower, houses and communities better. I find the closer to the city the more exspensive.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

43 posts, read 258,307 times
Quote:
Thank you for the post. That is my issue I am looking for people just like me, Having more diversity should not mean that the area is poorer. My question was that Bmill is a upscale great community. All I wan to know is why other races that can afford to be here are not. Most African Americans who are well off tend to migrate towards Cascade. There is no diversity there either it is an all black community. Not that ther is anything wrong with that I just want to have a mixture of all.

Not in anyway am I saying I do not want to be around white people, but it seems the best things that are offered are in the white communities. Schools tend to be better, crime lower, houses and communities better. I find the closer to the city the more exspensive.
Try Peachtree City. It is a diverse community with great schools. Marietta may be another option but I'm sure the traffic is terrible. There are quite a few diverse country club communities near Peachtree Industrial such as St. Ives and Country Club of the South, but here again traffic on hwy 141(?) is terrible.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrfly414 View Post
Try Peachtree City. It is a diverse community with great schools. Marietta may be another option but I'm sure the traffic is terrible. There are quite a few diverse country club communities near Peachtree Industrial such as St. Ives and Country Club of the South, but here again traffic on hwy 141(?) is terrible.
Peachtree City isn't diverse, and why would you want it to be? Is there something wrong with it being predominately white? Why don't you mention predominately black areas that "need to diversify". Why is it always white communities, in the "diversity-for-diversity-sakes" crowd?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:

I'll tell you why there are few blacks in Cherokee County.

Point 1: Cherokee County is roughly 90% white. Ten years ago, it was about 98% white. If police would crack-down on the illegal alien problem, Cherokee County would easily be 96% white, even today. With few numbers of minorities, they're not as easily seeking out the place. After all, they want to be around their own. While minorities generally are attracted to majority white areas, they're not attracted to overwhelmingly white areas. Hence, they don't want to feel isolated, much like you claim that you feel.

Point 2: Cherokee County is at a minimum 30 miles from downtown Atlanta (Woodstock), and roughly 35 miles from downtown at Bridgemille. Parts of Canton are 40-43 miles from downtown Atlanta. With the distance being so great (let's be real here. Cherokee County is the farthest out-from the core area in metro Atlanta that is actually developed or developing (Henry, Newton, Coweta, and Fayette are close seconds). Most of the area between downtown Atlanta to Cherokee County is majority white. It is the whitest quadrant in metro Atlanta (The Northwest Quadrant). Thus, with such a distance from metro Atlanta, coupled with it being the highest white percentage quadrant of metro Atlanta, few minorities are making their way up there.

Point 3: Cherokee County wasn't developed very much ten to fifteen years ago. Only a few parts of Woodstock even looked suburban. However, characteristic of suburban growth, the county has exploded, all the way up to exit 20 (Riverstone Pkwy) on I-575. As usual with new suburban growth, much of it comes from whites who are fleeing diversifying areas closer to the city, or from whites who are moving from other areas of the country and who want to live in a nearly all-white area. It's completely natural and acceptable.

These are your namely three reasons why there are few blacks in Cherokee County. There are a few more than there used to be, but I wouldn't count on any large black population for at least thirty or forty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta