Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM

104 posts, read 141,182 times

Advertisements

I haven't ridden it but standing under it, it looks huge. The size against the skyline is deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times
Apparently, the people who run the ferris wheel said it's here until December 2014 if the revenue cannot justify keeping it here longer.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,720,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Apparently, the people who run the ferris wheel said it's here until December 2014 if the revenue cannot justify keeping it here longer.
I KNEW it would be temporary...
I'm willing to bet it WILL leave

Atlanta is TOO fad driven to have something like that be permanent.
People in Atlanta like "New" and "Next up"
Just the culture of the city... We move on, and keep it moving.

I saw it go up, and the structure at the bottom just LOOKED so temporary. No where near as permanent of a structure as some other large wheels (like the London Eye, the one in Yokohama or the 2 going up in Vegas)... Just LOOKS like they planned on not hanging around to become a part of the city-scape.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

I saw it go up, and the structure at the bottom just LOOKED so temporary. No where near as permanent of a structure as some other large wheels (like the London Eye, the one in Yokohama or the 2 going up in Vegas)... Just LOOKS like they planned on not hanging around to become a part of the city-scape.
The whole bold section completely misses the point of what purpose the ferris wheel serves. The ferris wheel is not really FOR Atlantans. It is for tourists.

Like every other business that has ever existed, the ferris wheel is as permanent as profits allow it to be.

It's a bit early for the "told you so's".

Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,028,760 times
Exactly. Thats why it is in the middle of one of the largest convention districts in the country that happens to have a ton of tourist attractions with 2 more opening next year.

Compared to its previous home on the Florida Panhandle I would bet it will do very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The whole bold section completely misses the point of what purpose the ferris wheel serves. The ferris wheel is not really FOR Atlantans. It is for tourists.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,620,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Like every other business that has ever existed, the ferris wheel is as permanent as profits allow it to be.

It's a bit early for the "told you so's".
We have to keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again

If it was only for locals they would not have put it where it is now

Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM

104 posts, read 141,182 times
Quote:
Interesting way of spinning their statement. They made a commitment through AT LEAST the end of 2014 and you see it as evidence that they're getting ready to leave. Considering the relative ease with which they can move, making a commitment through the end of next year is pretty good. It's amazing how much hate springs from the desire to be able to say "I told you so".

Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
Quote:

Dude ... it's a FERRIS WHEEL for crying out loud! OMG isn't there something else about Atlanta you can complain about?

LET IT GO! Sheesh ... some people ...

Old 05-26-2015, 10:24 AM

687 posts, read 740,260 times
Finally got a chance to check out the Skyview wheel on Sunday afternoon.

Gotta say that me and the wife really enjoyed it (way more than we thought actually).

We headed straight to Centennial Olympic Park straight after the Braves game finished and judging by the amount of Braves fans waiting in line at Skyview many others had exactly the same idea.

There were around 50 people in line and it probably took us 15 minutes before we boarded. Took full advantage of the make-shift bar as you enter ($6 for a small bottle of wine - bargain!) and then enjoyed sharing our own capsule on the 20 minute journey.

We took advantage of a Groupon deal that covered 2 tickets and box of chocolates for $23 and I thought it was well worth it.

Its an excellent addition to the existing downtown tourist attractions and judging by the amount of people riding it I'd say its here to stay.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Finally got a chance to check out the Skyview wheel on Sunday afternoon.

Gotta say that me and the wife really enjoyed it (way more than we thought actually).

We headed straight to Centennial Olympic Park straight after the Braves game finished and judging by the amount of Braves fans waiting in line at Skyview many others had exactly the same idea.

There were around 50 people in line and it probably took us 15 minutes before we boarded. Took full advantage of the make-shift bar as you enter ($6 for a small bottle of wine - bargain!) and then enjoyed sharing our own capsule on the 20 minute journey.

We took advantage of a Groupon deal that covered 2 tickets and box of chocolates for $23 and I thought it was well worth it.

Its an excellent addition to the existing downtown tourist attractions and judging by the amount of people riding it I'd say its here to stay.
I think they signed a 15 year lease on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: