U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,355,412 times

Advertisements

What blackrabbit said,

Plus maybe Druid Hills....more graceful homes and an older, more prestigious country club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 AM

8 posts, read 70,154 times
Thank you very much everybody. We are also looking at Windward the Enclave, basically my wife would prefer a guard gated community, she would feel more secure while I'm travelling.

Do any of you have information on Windward?

or other guard gated communities in Alpharetta or East Cobb?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 136,476 times
Does anyone have any info and recommendations to cayennes' last questions?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 AM
kwr

138 posts, read 322,054 times
Windward is OK. The issues I have are three fold:

1) The community lacks cohesiveness. It is split into several smaller communities. Some areas of the community are gated and others are not.

2) There are quite a few cheap houses ($200k -$500k) in the community.

3) It is located in the 30005 zip code which doesn't compare favorably with the 30004, 30022 and 30097 zip codes. My point is Windward is really the only nice community in the 30005 zip code.

For those reasons, I passed on Windward. CCOS is a much nicer community with significantly larger homes; though, most require updating.

There are several gated communities in close proximity to Alpharetta. Each community has its pros and cons. Here is a list of the GUARD gated communities by area and zip code:

Alpharetta 30005
1) Windward

Milton 30004 (Previously was Alpharetta)
1) The Manor Golf & Country Club

Johns Creek 30022 (Previously was Alpharetta)
1) CCOS
2) St Ives Country Club
3) Grand Estates of the South

Johns Creek/Duluth 30097
1) St Marlo Country Club

Duluth 30097
1) Sugarloaf Country Club

Duluth 30096
1) Sweet Bottom Plantation

Suwanee
1)The River Club
2) Edinburgh

I may be missing a couple.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 AM

13,125 posts, read 20,658,416 times
Providence at Atlanta National is guard gated in 30004.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 AM

32 posts, read 136,476 times
Thanks. Great info. Do you know if any of these have lakes?

What about gated communities in Cobb?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
kwr

138 posts, read 322,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic girl View Post
Thanks. Great info. Do you know if any of these have lakes?

What about gated communities in Cobb?
There are some gated communities in Cobb, but not many guard gated. Not too familiar with Cobb.

St Marlo, Windward, and Sugar Loaf definitely have lakes (man-made of course). I believe The River Club does as well. Sweet Bottom and CCOS are on the Chattahoochee. You should research the other communities.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:39 AM

8 posts, read 70,154 times
Everybody, thank you so much for your help, I'll fly over this weekend and do some driving around.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 14,512 times
Default obligation to reply

Well, as someone who is related to and has resided in CCOS, I feel an obligation to reply. In this GREAT Country of ours, we do have freedom of speech, so I will exercise mine...

I am an independent consultant who subcontracts for my 9 year old son's grandfather, my EX-father-in-law (long story--great man) who has been a construction consultant for over 45 years and has a very reputable company and is looking to retire...He was the consultant for the sitework infrastructure of the building of CCOS and it was well built @20 years ago, but none of us are perfect...as well he was in on the building of his own home of which he is planning on putting on the market. Again, so he and his lovely wife (my son's grandmother) can retire...it is true that some of the houses have not been kept up and are dated, but I can assure you that this house has all the Upgrades and a few more to come (not that it needs it, but want to compete and sell the house) and our/their friends have been upgrading and are upgrading as we speak...some houses are selling for a song same as the rest of the world, some people have fallen on hard times/divorce or the Owner is so wealthy and lives out West or up North and just wants to get rid of the house, which hurts those who have put alot of work into their home and alot of pride...

I have lived in this home off and on in between renting when I was pregnant and lived here in Georgia and when I moved back here from Florida with my son after my messy divorce and looking to restart my life, so here is the good stuff--
---The Swim Team is awesome---2nd in Division last year and great for fellowship and great for the kids and family---u name it
---always some activities in summer at the pool/field---parties for the family to go to, etc.
---playground/tennis/basketball/pool and golf of course and many more--personal trainer Glen is great and all very reasonable
---Barnwell is the best Public school around--right now I live in Dolvin district right around the corner but my son is at Barnwell for 3rd year now thanks to Childcare hardship since I "work" in CCOS location/address and the kids in my neighborhood have behavior issues and do not have all the activities Barnwell has--Barnwell kids are well behaved/manners, just good kids, we are looking to buy a house in CCOS by the fall as we are now financially secure after the messy divorce--(my new fiance and I---TMI, I know)
---I have walked to Barnwell from this house (1.3 miles) and everything else is short distance by car or bike/walk if you are brave/healthy as sidewalks are sporadic
---this is long enough, but we have "city income" in "suburb atmosphere--deer, foxes, birds, rabbits, u name it" and the people are not snobs or criminals like you might expect which is what I have found in Buckhead, again, my opinion...and we have multi-ethnic people in CCOS and it is fascinating to talk to them and hear about their cultures...
---Take care and hope to see some new friends here in CCOS

Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 14,512 times
Default P.S. on CCOS

The reason the residents move around within the community is because they don't want to leave the community and the are either upgrading or downsizing specific to their needs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or