Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 AM

8 posts, read 77,797 times

Advertisements

Can anybody help me with information about CCOS. We are a European family with 3 children age ½, 5 and 8. We are moving to ATL in 2008 and I have been to CCOS and was very impressed with this community, but how is life there? Is it mainly older people living there? Will there be kids same age as ours to play with? Is Barnwell Elementary a good school?

We have also considered to find a house in East Cobb, but I haven't be able to find a guarded community there, only gated communities without guard.

I will mainly work from home so commute is not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
CCOS is one of the premier communities in the metro Atlanta area. There is a fairly good cross-section of members/ Homeowners. Top exec's, CEO's, Pro athletes, music artists, actors, etc. So there are plenty of kids of all ages (my youngest plays soccer[Newtown Recreation] with some of the kids)Homes range in price from the high $500k to over $3mil.
The community does have very stringent restrictions/policies (my personal favorite- no motorcyles can be riden in the development; if you own, you must trailor them in/out of the community). The club is exceptional- great golf course(personal exp.), and tennis facilities.
Barnwell is an excellent elementary school. Has a very strong PTA.

FYI- there is talk about the widening of Old Alabama Rd ( the main enterance is located on this road)

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 11-15-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 AM

8 posts, read 77,797 times
Thank you very much, It's good to hear that it is possible for my kids to find new friends within the community.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 19,598 times
Default Country Club of The South

Country Club of The South is considered by most in the know Atlantan's and persons of influence or fame to be the only gaurded community in the Atlanta area to reside (especially if you have children). The schools are top rated, both public and private. Most celebrities allow their children to attend public schools in this area now called Johns Creek.

The homes are considered the most majestic and glamorous of anywhere in atlanta excluding Buckhead, which is equally sought after. Many families, especially generational "old money" families, reside in either area. Many residents commonly say that they don't even like to leave the gates of the community because it is like living in a palatial old world European Community.

I know that presently the word is that Whitney Houston recently sold her home but plans to return. Recording artist Usher, NFL, NBA and other major professional athletes own homes as well at Country Club of The South. Also many famous actors, actresses, playrights, authors, top level corporate executives and heirs/heiresses own their homes there too. More and more families are moving there even from equally prestigious Buckhead.

I attended a private party there last week at the residence of a major CEO and overheard during conversations amoungst the attendees that one of the most sought after gorgeous residences on the 7th fairway on (I think) Fairway Mansions Drive is for sale and also another neighbor with a beautiful home a few properties down is for sale as well on Cherberry. I think one is owned by a major music manager and the other by a restaurant heir. Just a few ideas for you of apparently the most beautiful of all that are for sale at present. Apparently it is common (which I found odd) that residents in Country Club of The South tend to move from one home to another still within the gates and therefore they are constantly viewing each others homes and know which are the best.

Oh and after reading on this site, I inquired about the supposed cat burglar and according to the head of security that is totally a rumor. There were 2 petty thefts in the community in the last 5 years and it was basically a teenage dare/prank that was uncovered, solved, items returned and the matter closed.

Apparently the top real estate agent at Country Club of The South is Jackie Spooda (she sold Whitney Houston's home). I am looking to relocate there as well which is how I came upon your post. Hope my inside info helps.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,745 times
CCOS is nice, but 75-90% of the homes were built in the 80s and 90s and need updating. There are other options like Sugarloaf, St Marlo and The River Club. In fact, The River Club is more exclusive than CCOS with homes starting at $1.5M up to $9 MM. CCOS homes start at $500k. CCOS is popular due to athletes and stars who live there. My point is keep your options open.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Today there are 68 homes for sale in CCOS, from $550,000 (3 of them) to $6,495,000. Personally, I thought the subdivision was considered to be in Alpharetta, a better address than John's Creek. Alpharetta is extremely convenient, and close to the North Point Mall and the many stores and restaurants around it. I have heard that some of the homes in CCOS were not well built, so be sure to get a good inspection.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Today there are 68 homes for sale in CCOS, from $550,000 (3 of them) to $6,495,000. Personally, I thought the subdivision was considered to be in Alpharetta, a better address than John's Creek. Alpharetta is extremely convenient, and close to the North Point Mall and the many stores and restaurants around it. I have heard that some of the homes in CCOS were not well built, so be sure to get a good inspection.
Alpharetta is not a better address than John's Creek. Alpharetta DOES not have a community that can compete with CCOS in John's Creek. Do some research, John's Creek IS more exclusive than Alpharetta. The boundary lines of Alpharetta confuses people now that unicorporated fulton county is Johns Creek and the western part of what used to be considered Alpharetta is now Milton. John's Creek zip codes 30097, 30005 and 30022 (CCOS) have the highest median incomes of all the Northern zip codes. 90% of the guard gated communities in the North fall within these zip codes.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
KWR
Zip code is 30022 is an Alpharetta zip code also. And part of zip code 30005 is Alpharetta . Alpharetta as a whole has a more well known upscale reputation in the Atlanta area, in spite of John's Creeks expensive neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
KWR
Zip code is 30022 is an Alpharetta zip code also. And part of zip code 30005 is Alpharetta . Alpharetta as a whole has a more well known upscale reputation in the Atlanta area, in spite of John's Creeks expensive neighborhoods.
John's Creek hasn't been a city long enough to have a reputation. Most of it was called "Alpharetta" just a few months ago.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:02 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennes View Post
Can anybody help me with information about CCOS. We are a European family with 3 children age ½, 5 and 8. We are moving to ATL in 2008 and I have been to CCOS and was very impressed with this community, but how is life there? Is it mainly older people living there? Will there be kids same age as ours to play with? Is Barnwell Elementary a good school?

We have also considered to find a house in East Cobb, but I haven't be able to find a guarded community there, only gated communities without guard.

I will mainly work from home so commute is not a problem.
If you are European you may find it better to live in Buckhead or other nice areas in the city where a lot more Europeans live and send their kids to school. CCOS is stuck in the middle of nowhere in comparison (cannot walk anywhere) and is not in a cosmopolitan area. A guarded community is not necessary for safety and the most expensive neighbourhoods in Atlanta are in fact just regular areas not guarded communities. Take a look at areas such as Chastain park or Capital City (Brookhaven) and of course Buckhead and see what you get for similar money.

I would also agree with the other poster who stated a lot of the homes in CCOS are starting to show their age and there is a surprising amount of defaults going on there. A friend who is a developer drove me there a few weeks ago and pointed out some pre foreclosures and houses subsiding etc. Also of note CCOS houses have not appreciated nearly as much as intown homes in Buckhead etc so you may finder in harder to sell when you move on.

In Atlanta CCOS is well know for being where all the "new money" Atlantans live. People with high earnings but generally low net worth. Sports stars etc. Buckhead, Druid Hills and similar areas intown are generally the opposite (old money) and more stable.

Last edited by blackrabbit; 02-04-2008 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta