U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM

1,297 posts, read 799,614 times
Default Walmart SuperCenter Being Developed in East Point

This is great news for that area because East Point is definitely lacking in terms of major retail services.

"A new $35 million shopping center anchored by a Walmart Supercenter is being planned for East Point ó one of the first signs South Fulton is starting to recover from the downturn..."

Full Story: $35M shopping center planned for East Point - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM

3,824 posts, read 2,796,225 times
Won't this destroy the walkability and charm of East Point?

Shouldn't we require the use of greenspace, underground parking, and street level pedestrian access on new developments to ensure they never occur and the residents of East Point continue to be limited to Wayfield Foods and Maxway?

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM

6,153 posts, read 2,810,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Shouldn't we require the use of greenspace, underground parking, and street level pedestrian access on new developments to ensure they never occur and the residents of East Point continue to be limited to Wayfield Foods and Maxway?
If the residents want that type of development, then they should fight for it. The residents of Glenwood, Grant Park, Lindbergh wants the type of development you speak of, so they fought the developer via City Hall.

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

8,287 posts, read 634,809 times
Quote:

Greenspace, or whitespace?

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
If the residents want that type of development, then they should fight for it.
They can if they want to, but I think the residents of East Point are smart enough to know that if they fight for this type of development and get it, what they will actually get is no development at all.

That's exactly what happened in Duluth. Residents didn't want another Wal-Mart, so they fought against it and failed. So they went to plan B, which was "if you're going to build it, it's at least going to be attractive." So they instituted so many architectural standards that Wal-Mart finally just said "it's not worth it" and the store was never built.

Of course, the situation in Duluth was very different. There was already a Wal-Mart nearby in unincorporated Gwinnett county, and another in Suwanee, so this Wal-Mart would have been less than 5 miles from 2 other stores. Residents didn't want a Wal-Mart nestled in a highly residential area, including Sugarloaf Country Club.

But I think East Point is in a slightly different situation where they don't have as immediate access to discounted items and groceries. In this situation, a Wal-Mart is probably not a bad idea. In fact, even if Wal-Mart builds its ugliest most sprawling store, it still looks like a vast improvement to what's on the property now.

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM

12,329 posts, read 7,041,651 times
Quote:
Of course, the situation in Duluth was very different. There was already a Wal-Mart nearby in unincorporated Gwinnett county, and another in Suwanee, so this Wal-Mart would have been less than 5 miles from 2 other stores. Residents didn't want a Wal-Mart nestled in a highly residential area, including Sugarloaf Country Club.

But I think East Point is in a slightly different situation where they don't have as immediate access to discounted items and groceries. In this situation, a Wal-Mart is probably not a bad idea. In fact, even if Wal-Mart builds its ugliest most sprawling store, it still looks like a vast improvement to what's on the property now.
I think that's the key. Duluth is wealthy and loaded with all kinds of retail, so it could afford to say no.

By contrast, this is East Pointís first major retail project in 10 years. The developer is also able to take advantage of the TAD incentives that have been sitting there unused for 7 years.

Unread 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM

You're definitely right.

The original point I was trying to make is that on this board, people do nothing but tout densely packed retail with no parking or inconvenient parking, street level access, and smaller stores.

That may make sense in certain areas, but for places like East Point, I'd go so far to say that just about any development is an improvement over what is there now.

Unread 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM

1,648 posts, read 705,697 times
Dunno how to feel about this. I hate the WalMart experience but I can see the need in the area. Personally, Ill keep shopping at Wayfield regardless of a supercenter nearby . I'll stick with the good service I get at Wayfield vs the consumer nightmare that is WalMart.

Is this going to be right near I85? I hope it is no closer to downtown East Point.

HOWEVER - If Fuqua is involved, I'm against it.

Unread 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM

196 posts, read 67,956 times
The site in question is at the southeast corner of Cleveland and Sylvan, between Sylvan and Springdale, behind the Shell station. Those abandoned duplexes have been a great place to get stabbed for a long time. The Kroger just down the street is always packed, so having another big grocery store option will be good for the residents and will employ a bunch of people in an area that desperately needs some jobs. I don't particularly care for the Wal-Mart business model, but it's good news for Cleveland Ave.

Unread 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM

1,648 posts, read 705,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
The site in question is at the southeast corner of Cleveland and Sylvan, between Sylvan and Springdale, behind the Shell station. Those abandoned duplexes have been a great place to get stabbed for a long time. The Kroger just down the street is always packed, so having another big grocery store option will be good for the residents and will employ a bunch of people in an area that desperately needs some jobs. I don't particularly care for the Wal-Mart business model, but it's good news for Cleveland Ave.
Thanks!

This looks like one of the few times building a walmart may actually improve the surrounding area! I think a suburban style monstrosity with huge parking lots will be a welcome change to abandoned hood apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta