Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,657,302 times

Advertisements

The 2014 US News World Report rankings were released this morning. Tech and UGA tie for 27th best undergraduate business program, Tech maintains its position at 5th best undergraduate engineering education. UGA rises in overall rankings and Tech maintains.

UGA went up from 63rd to 60th best university and from 21st to 20th best public school. Terry School of business rose from 31st to 27 best undergraduate business program with insurance and risk management specialty ranked as 1st in the nation, Its real estate program tied for third with UC-Berk

U.S. News ranks UGA in top 20 public universities | UGA Today

Tech maintains its position at 36th best university in the nation, 5th for undergrad engineering and 27th for best undergrad education.

GT | Newsroom - National Rankings Show Consistency

Emory is ranked 20th in the nation. Undergrad business was ranked 13th in the nation.

U.S. News ranks Emory among top national universities | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

GSU was still unranked, BUT they were naked 14th most "up-and-coming" school in the nation. High school counselor ranking fell from 183 to 195.

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 09-10-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,823,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
GSU was still unranked, BUT they were naked 14th most "up-and-coming" school in the nation. High school counselor ranking fell from 183 to 195.
Is this what it takes to increase in the rankings these days?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for the updates, heard this as a snippet on the news but glad to have the links.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,111,691 times
So GSU was "naked" and "up-and-coming"?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Whoops. Typo.

Well I mean, we were named the biggest & fastest growing "sugar baby" college in the nation...

named*

But all in all, good + for higher ed in GA.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM

According to GSU's press release,

Georgia State University Sets Records for Diversity and Size of Freshman Class - Georgia State University News

GSU's Robinson College of Business undergraduate program rose from 56th to 47th. That's good as I think GSU's undergraduate business program was always just short of cracking the top 50. Getting past that cutoff gains you national recognition so this is a good thing. And GSU's undergrad Insurance is #4, undergrad CIS #8, and undergrad Real Estate #10.

Enrollment is also up from 32,092 to 32,374, freshman applications are up 9% to over 13,000. And for those that care, GSU is considered the 12th most diverse institution.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM

"The academic preparation of the group also improved, with the average high school grade-point average of the entering students rising to 3.4."

I'm dying. hahahaha

They're being serious you know. That's an all time high. Go look at USG figures from the 80s till now.. Although I'm sure the actual average was actually a 3.36 or something.

See I told you... all GSU cares about is money. They keep increasing class sizes. There is a physical limitation to how many people can fit on such a small campus. Campus is 50 acres GSU. We literally don't have enough chairs in the library to accommodate JUST the faculty population never-mind graduate and undergraduate students or visitors. This is going to be one crowded year..

Good to see the business boost. It may never compete with Tech or UGA, but we're not expecting that. I wonder if KSU made any progress. They were named 4th most up and coming school actually.. for regional schools. Not bad KSU. Sucks to suck GA Southern.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...erall-rankings

Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
"The academic preparation of the group also improved, with the average high school grade-point average of the entering students rising to 3.4."

I'm dying. hahahaha

They're being serious you know. That's an all time high. Go look at USG figures from the 80s till now.. Although I'm sure the actual average was actually a 3.36 or something.
GSU will be taking students from the "fat" part of the bell-curve. The high achievers will be going to GT and UGA and that's not likely to change anytime soon. What that GPA figure does suggest is that GSU is getting more Hope Scholars, however, GPA quality varies from school to school so I'm more interested in SAT and ACT scores.

Quote:
See I told you... all GSU cares about is money. They keep increasing class sizes. There is a physical limitation to how many people can fit on such a small campus. Campus is 50 acres GSU. We literally don't have enough chairs in the library to accommodate JUST the faculty population never-mind graduate and undergraduate students or visitors. This is going to be one crowded year..
First of all, faculty don't generally go to the library that much. Much of what they do is from on-line databases, and librarians are going to the faculty these days. And last I've heard, I believe Veteran's/Dahlberg Hall will be converted to a Learning Space which is the trend these days. GT opened theirs a couple of years ago and UGA has one too.

GSU is expanding as it recently acquired 55 Park Place and both the Business and Law schools will be building their classroom space on that block. And GSU is gradually moving into the former SunTrust building. That should free up a lot more space on campus.

As for money, pffffft....you think UGA and GT aren't the same way?

Quote:
Good to see the business boost. It may never compete with Tech or UGA, but we're not expecting that. I wonder if KSU made any progress. They were named 4th most up and coming school actually.. for regional schools. Not bad KSU. Sucks to suck GA Southern.
I've never really understood the "up-and-coming" rankings, but for what it's worth, KSU's #4 ranking is among Southern Regional Universities

Up and Coming Schools | Top Regional Universities South | US News Best Colleges

GSU's is among National Universities and tied with Carnegie Mellon. Again, I don't really get those "Up-and-Coming" rankings.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,823,037 times
My alma mater, Samford University, is ranked #3 among southern regional universities. Not bad!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 PM

I don't really understand it either, but hey, they're there. UGA was ranked 11th most up-and-coming a few years back. Ohio State is also on the list.

Mathman. Dahlberg hall is an ant. That's not going to free up enough spaces for students to use. I don't think you understand, people literally can't sit anywhere on campus at peak hours. The class sizes keep getting bigger and bigger.

UGA and Tech are probably going to maintain class sizes. UGA's class size only went up this year by 200 due to the new housing. The year before their class size was 200 less because Rutherford was closed down. Even so, those schools don't sacrifice quality for quantity. I don't think GSU is the same for grad or undergrad programs. I'm hearing a lot more that president Becker is more of a CEO kind of guy like Mike Adams. Not good.

Samford is a pretty solid regional university. I don't hear much about it, but it's a solid pick for an in-state student.

On a second note, dat GSU football team. Nice investment.. Football is the only thing I regret Patton doing. What a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: