Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,941,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Buses use GPS, easier to translate into data for apps, while trains use Lat/Long as they pass over points on the tracks. MARTA trains are 98% on time, so having the MARTA app will let you know when the next train arrives.
The problem with this is that the times the trains aren't on time, in my experience, is on the weekends. Sometimes they single track, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the Red Line runs south of Lindbergh, sometimes it doesn't. And the headways are 20 minutes on the weekends, so it's a far bigger concern than on the weekdays when it's shorter. This uncertainty, and past times I've been burned with an exceptionally long wait after convincing friends to take MARTA somewhere on the weekends, leads me to generally avoid the system after hours and on weekends. And I'm a big MARTA proponent.

I've also missed a number of trains because they left BEFORE the scheduled time. Which should be a big no-no. They have thankfully gotten better at this, waiting at Five Points for connecting trains and so forth. A year ago they would have just blown through the connection and left everyone to wait 20 minutes. But they really ought to avoid being early under any circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,709,235 times
Quote:
The problem with this is that the times the trains aren't on time, in my experience, is on the weekends. Sometimes they single track, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the Red Line runs south of Lindbergh, sometimes it doesn't.
All that info is published on the website. Also, it gets pushed to the See and Say App.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM

7,341 posts, read 6,473,169 times
But it should be on the main app. Not everyone has bought in to the post-September 11 paranoia and I refuse to do anything that supports that kind of crap. Plus, why should you need TWO apps to show you what one could easily provide?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,203,635 times
Their apps certainly need a lot of work.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,941,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
All that info is published on the website. Also, it gets pushed to the See and Say App.
Couldn't we just have a train locator instead?

Having to look up schedules then verify via service alert that the schedule is actually valid today is kind of a hassle. Especially if you're two blocks away from the train station on foot and trying to know if you should hustle or not to catch the train--real world situations, in other words. It just seems like a train locator function on that app wouldn't be very difficult to implement.

I will say, the latest version of the app is pretty good. The bus locator is the best feature on it, and it works way better than the old one.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM

725 posts, read 1,274,075 times
Has anybody updated their app? the new screan shows you minutes untill the next train (and what that train is) rather than just the schedule.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,071,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Has anybody updated their app? the new screan shows you minutes untill the next train (and what that train is) rather than just the schedule.
App is much improved from previous versions.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,473,169 times
Quote:
I updated it last night, I don't have any screen that looks remotely like that.

Last edited by MattCW; 09-20-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,203,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I updated it last night, I don't any screen that looks remotely like that.
I just re-downloaded it too and mine looks nothing like what you guys are posting. I'm on android btw

Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,709,235 times
Quote:
which app is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta