Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 01:07 PM

183 posts, read 352,912 times

Advertisements

Wondering if you locals/natives have some insight. I've been getting randomly bitten by something. I suspected mosquitoes, but realized I didn't see any in the house and I haven't been outside (bites show up in the morning or afternoon when I haven't been out at all). The bites look like big mosquito bites, but they itch more and last longer....not the same minor reaction I usually get from mosquito bites (no bruising/and go away after a day). I don't see insects in the house, and have searched the bed and bedding and don't see anything.

I'm suspecting chiggers? But don't know enough about them. Does this sound like them? Can they live indoors? Maybe we're bringing them in (or the dog). Ugh...any suggestions? I really don't want to wear DEET 24/7 even in the house and in bed...and am hesitant in fogging the house. Options? Advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Sounds like mosquitoes to me. They can be sneaky some times.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
You only get chiggers from grass, trees and the like. Where are the bites? Chiggers are going to go around your ankles, groin(worst place).
Sounds like fleas or bed bugs.
My Momma always told me, "if you sleep with dogs, you will wake up with fleas." I think she was trying to make a point.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM

183 posts, read 352,912 times
Ankle and lower leg bites mostly. I don't see fleas on the dog and we crate her at night (no dog in my bed unless you count hubby! lol) Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure not mosquitoes because I'm having reactions to these bites. I'm ok with mosquito bites Maybe they chigger bites that aren't showing up until later...? I hope they're not bedbugs...we did return from travel a month ago....i'll check the mattresses...grrr.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
Ankle and lower leg bites mostly. I don't see fleas on the dog and we crate her at night (no dog in my bed unless you count hubby! lol) Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure not mosquitoes because I'm having reactions to these bites. I'm ok with mosquito bites Maybe they chigger bites that aren't showing up until later...? I hope they're not bedbugs...we did return from travel a month ago....i'll check the mattresses...grrr.
You can pickup the fleas yourself and bring them into the house - simply by walking through the grass and not on the side walk.

Typically, if there are no pets in the house - the fleas will die on their own. But if you pick up the fleas and there are pets in the house they will continue to thrive.

One year I had a horrible flea problem and I never noticed a problem with my cats.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Check out Thermacell. They work great on keeping those things away. For outdoor use, btw.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM

284 posts, read 590,585 times
They could be ant bites too. You may have get one on your shoe and it bites your ankle and you don't notice it until it starts to itch! (Not a fire ant...you'd KNOW if you got bit right away!)

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I get plenty of mosquito bites merely by opening the door long enough for the dogs to go in and out. The tiny, hard to spot ones are the worst. Hurry up fall!

Btw, I never had a reaction to mosquito bites either, but there is something about those little buggers in GA that makes me itch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta