U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: The big blue yonder...
1,997 posts, read 3,019,753 times
Reputation: 1013

Advertisements

Over many many years, there has been protest after protest after protest to several sports teams for using Native American themes that are actually offensive to many Native Americans...
(Personally, I think the whole Washington Redskins thing is just down right horribly wrong. But Braves, not nearly as much).

I know the Braves were one of those teams, but it seems the protest has died down a lot. Probably because it's been a LONG TIME since I've seen "Chief Noc-a-homa" dancing around his tee-pee at the stadium. I can understand how it can be offensive though...

So, I'm wondering, in the spirit of being progressive and a stand-up human being, what if the Braves made a statement to the other organizations by changing the team theme (NOT the name)?

Braves would still associate with the Tomahawk, but distance itself from depictions of Nativa Americans anywhere, but instead replace it with another, also valid mascot...

A BALD EAGLE.

How valid? Well...
Being that the Braves already wear Red, White & Blue
The Braves namesake is in the national anthem (which, BTW is a major part of baseball as America's pastime) "...and the home of the Brave!!!!"

The Braves could adopt a Bald Eagle (Bravo) and maybe even a Hawk (Tom the Hawk).

Once apon a time, someone tried to rename the team to the Eagles anyway... Why not adopt the Eagle mascot and just keep the name. Have the best of both worlds...

I know many will feel it to be uneccessary, but think of it this way. If the Braves adopt the Bald Eagle main mascot, that puts the Braves inline with the rest of Atlanta's sports teams, sticking to a Bird theme...

Hawks, Falcons, (former Thrashers) and now the Braves (Eagle).


Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM
 
Location: East Atlanta
454 posts, read 444,664 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Over many many years, there has been protest after protest after protest to several sports teams for using Native American themes that are actually offensive to many Native Americans...
(Personally, I think the whole Washington Redskins thing is just down right horribly wrong. But Braves, not nearly as much).

I know the Braves were one of those teams, but it seems the protest has died down a lot. Probably because it's been a LONG TIME since I've seen "Chief Noc-a-homa" dancing around his tee-pee at the stadium. I can understand how it can be offensive though...

So, I'm wondering, in the spirit of being progressive and a stand-up human being, what if the Braves made a statement to the other organizations by changing the team theme (NOT the name)?

Braves would still associate with the Tomahawk, but distance itself from depictions of Nativa Americans anywhere, but instead replace it with another, also valid mascot...

A BALD EAGLE.

How valid? Well...
Being that the Braves already wear Red, White & Blue
The Braves namesake is in the national anthem (which, BTW is a major part of baseball as America's pastime) "...and the home of the Brave!!!!"

The Braves could adopt a Bald Eagle (Bravo) and maybe even a Hawk (Tom the Hawk).

Once apon a time, someone tried to rename the team to the Eagles anyway... Why not adopt the Eagle mascot and just keep the name. Have the best of both worlds...

I know many will feel it to be uneccessary, but think of it this way. If the Braves adopt the Bald Eagle main mascot, that puts the Braves inline with the rest of Atlanta's sports teams, sticking to a Bird theme...

Hawks, Falcons, (former Thrashers) and now the Braves (Eagle).


Any thoughts?
The Washington Nationals already use the Bald Eagle as a mascot. Not a live one, mind you, but a guy in a cartoony foam suit. They've already stolen our color scheme. (Have you SEEN how similar their new hats are to ours?) Stealing their mascot would be tantamount to bringing them up to our level....and that just can't happen. And by the way, C.B. Bucknor is the worst umpire in baseball. Go Braves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: East Atlanta
454 posts, read 444,664 times
Reputation: 423
And another thing...I find it hilarious that the Washington Bullets were pressured into changing their name to the Wizards so as not to be offensive to victims of gun violence, but they have a team called the Redskins in the same town, and they flat out REFUSE to budge on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:14 AM
 
2,571 posts, read 3,708,012 times
Reputation: 2970
The Eagles?

Helllllllllllllllll naw

Why would the Braves want to be anything like other Atlanta teams? They all suck.

The Braves are fine as the Braves, one of the oldest baseball mascots. I don't see why anyone gets offended by their name. It's basically the equivalent of a Japanese baseball team calling itself the Samurai in my opinion. The Redskins are a completely different story and I don't know how they get away with still calling themselves that, especially in such a PC area as DC. That would be like a South African rugby team calling itself the Darkies or something similarly offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
 
29,154 posts, read 26,094,166 times
Reputation: 10162
Bring back Izzy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
 
2,571 posts, read 3,708,012 times
Reputation: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
The Washington Nationals already use the Bald Eagle as a mascot. Not a live one, mind you, but a guy in a cartoony foam suit. They've already stolen our color scheme. (Have you SEEN how similar their new hats are to ours?) Stealing their mascot would be tantamount to bringing them up to our level....and that just can't happen. And by the way, C.B. Bucknor is the worst umpire in baseball. Go Braves.
Heh, this is true and funny. I wore one of the old red Sunday home Braves jerseys(blank back) to the game last night and I think a few people confused it for a Nats jersey based on some comments they made before they saw the front of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Duluth, GA
1,234 posts, read 976,486 times
Reputation: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
And by the way, C.B. Bucknor is the worst umpire in baseball. Go Braves.
Was about to say Angel Hernandez, but after looking up Bucknor, your argument is valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: East Atlanta
454 posts, read 444,664 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Was about to say Angel Hernandez, but after looking up Bucknor, your argument is valid.
The players always rank him dead last in the anonymous player polls. That has to mean something. And you're right about Angel Hernandez. Joe West too. And "Balk-a-day" Bob Davidson. And Sam "225-foot infield fly" Holbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,213 posts, read 9,995,735 times
Reputation: 5829
Seems I remember Ted Turner toying with the idea of changing the name of the Braves to the Eagles back when he first bought the team so it would go with the bird theme of the other pro teams. Thank goodness the natives (pun intended) rose up and tomahawk chopped that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: The big blue yonder...
1,997 posts, read 3,019,753 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
The Washington Nationals already use the Bald Eagle as a mascot. Not a live one, mind you, but a guy in a cartoony foam suit. They've already stolen our color scheme. (Have you SEEN how similar their new hats are to ours?) Stealing their mascot would be tantamount to bringing them up to our level....and that just can't happen. And by the way, C.B. Bucknor is the worst umpire in baseball. Go Braves.
LOL!!! I love your post!
And I see what you mean, however I don't think it matters. (I could be wrong) But I don't think a team's personal mascot has to be ALL THAT unique. The Braves mascot now is "Homer," that a walking baseball head guy. I'm pretty sure I've seen other walking baseball head mascots before. A Bald Eagle is one of those blanket things. I think we could use it and do it a LOT better. OR, maybe scrap the Bald Eagle and have a Hawk... But I think the Eagle and the whole "...and the home of the Brave" America blah blah theme would be cool.
Plus, the Nats have severl mascots. Tell them suck it up, cause we're taking this one. Lol
Tell them, "Flip you for it... Team with most Ws, wins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
And another thing...I find it hilarious that the Washington Bullets were pressured into changing their name to the Wizards so as not to be offensive to victims of gun violence, but they have a team called the Redskins in the same town, and they flat out REFUSE to budge on it.
VERY INTERESTING!!! GOOD POINT.
I personally hate when people argue that the name shouldn't be changed not to offend a group of people. Just cause it doesn't offend you doesn't make it not offensive. That Redskins name is really just a terrible one, and I think it's just dumb to put "keeping things as they are" more important than being a better human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The Eagles?

Helllllllllllllllll naw

Why would the Braves want to be anything like other Atlanta teams? They all suck.

The Braves are fine as the Braves, one of the oldest baseball mascots. I don't see why anyone gets offended by their name. It's basically the equivalent of a Japanese baseball team calling itself the Samurai in my opinion. The Redskins are a completely different story and I don't know how they get away with still calling themselves that, especially in such a PC area as DC. That would be like a South African rugby team calling itself the Darkies or something similarly offensive.
Not change the NAME to "The Eagles"
No... I said keep the name "The Braves" and adopt another new mascot as a bird mascot, because you CAN do both... CAN keep the Braves name AND be in the Bird theme.

There are ways... Bald Eagle or a Hawk. Hawks are important symbols in some Native American tribes, and it goes along with the TomaHAWK thing. etc...

Also, it isn't really the same as Samurai really. Samurai is more like.... An occupation almost. Or a choice of lifestyle.
Being Native American isn't a choice, not an occupation or a lifestyle... NO team should be named after a race. The namesake "Braves" isn't after a race, no... But the old "Chief Noc-a-homer" WAS a depiction of a race... Not a depiction of an choice made. That's just not right, cause no matter what, when you try to depict a RACE, you will never fairly do it justice. It will always fall short...
That goes the same for saying things like "Fighting Irish" and so on... But in the Native American case, the people being depicted (N.A.) are CLEARLY unhappy with it. So just be a better person and just change the d@#% names!!! You know...?

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 09-19-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top