Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Stopping at 1am is perfectly reasonable. It's a rave, it could go on to 7am if it wanted to.

If they want to be jerks, the organizers should simply offer a free set of ear plugs to anybody who requests them.

I agree, for an event that draws so many people from around the world and gives Atlanta so much international credibility and pumps millions of dollars into the economy, they can suck it up for 3 nights once a year.

Why don't they try buying tickets and supporting the event instead of complaining?

Honestly, I hate to be unsympathetic, but with the amount of dense tree growth in that area, I believe that in order to hear anything, you'd have to stand outside and be very quiet and you might here some quiet thumps off in the distance. These people are just being dramatic trying to get a payout, that's what I think.
Yes. Especially the bolded parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM

262 posts, read 637,582 times
Yeah, I have seen some gnashing of teeth from Douglas County peeps on Facebook today. One of them claimed that in addition to the loud noise (which some claim to be hearing 8-60 miles away) that the entire event was for worshipping Satan. Lol.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
These people are just being dramatic trying to get a payout, that's what I think.
Well, maybe they should get a little compensation, seeing as how they didn't have any notice or say-so in the scheduling or setup arrangements. A lot of those folks probably moved out in the country so they could have some elbow room and not have to put up with huge events.

If the attendees are paying $250 or so to get in and there are 150,000 of them, the promoter is pulling in $37.5 million. So why not cut the folks in Douglas a $10,000 check for a new playground or something like that?

Being a good neighbor can smooth over a lot of complaints. A few years ago we had an outdoor party at our place with a live band, and I knew it was going to be fairly loud and that the party would go until midnight or so. So I talked to all the nearby neighbors about it and sent them a little gift to show I appreciated them putting up with things. In my opinion that helped forestall any complaints.

By the way, there was a good article in this week's New Yorker about EDM in Vegas. Apparently the dance clubs at the Encore are now pulling in $180 million a year, which more than the slots. ... “Half of Steve Wynn’s profit comes from the night clubs,” Andrew Sasson, a rival club owner, told me. “Gambling is an amenity now.” The most popular DJs make $250K a show and the big customers often have a half million dollar bar tab for one night.

Quite an amazing phenomenon! More at Josh Eells: How Electronic Dance Music Conquered Las Vegas : The New Yorker

Last edited by arjay57; 09-29-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
Yeah, I have seen some gnashing of teeth from Douglas County peeps on Facebook today. One of them claimed that in addition to the loud noise (which some claim to be hearing 8-60 miles away) that the entire event was for worshipping Satan. Lol.
I would have responded with, "So what if someone wants to worship Satan, it's a free country".

Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Tomorrowland (festival) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I just want to say that the reason why I think all the sets are prerecorded is because if you watch, the lights and fireworks are just way too coordinated. There's no way someobody could be syncing everything like that so well on the fly.

BTW, what's the "surprise" that the organizer promised?

Old 09-29-2013, 11:49 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I'm sure Delta airlines international routes to and from Europe, Brazil, and Asia into Atlanta really appreciated this event.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 AM

Does anyone (bigstick, etc) know for sure if this is planned to return to Atlanta/Chattahoochee Hills year after year, or is TomorrowWorld--the international edition of Tomorrowland--poised to rotate countries?

I know they supposedly have a 8-10 year lease of that Belgian-owned farm in South Fulton, but is this Atlanta's thing for the foreseeable future, or will it be like TomorrowWorld 2017--in Tulum?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
real EDM people who are sophisticated want a festival go to ULTRA in Miami and not some cow field in the suburbs of Atlanta!
Dining options afterwards in Atlanta?
McDonald's or the nearest Waffle House
Save your money and come on down for the real deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta