Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's the city's fault that we completely lacked the infrastructure to enable people to move throughout the city during an ice storm and the lack of a police presence that enabled a shooting and the complete legal debacle that dealt with that crime after it happened.
In all fairness, city residents have supplied an excellent heavy rail system to enable people to move throughout the city during inclement weather, including ice storms. We can't do much about it for folks who elect not to use it or who have chosen to live far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In all fairness, city residents have supplied an excellent heavy rail system to enable people to move throughout the city during inclement weather, including ice storms. We can't do much about it for folks who elect not to use it or who have chosen to live far away.
Yes, I chose to be born to people who live "far away" from the city, how silly of me to chose that!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In all fairness, Fulton and DeKalb residents have supplied an excellent heavy rail system to enable people to move throughout the city during inclement weather, including ice storms. We can't do much about it for folks who elect not to use it or who have chosen to live far away.
fify

Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yes, I chose to be born to people who live "far away" from the city, how silly of me to chose that!
So, this is a decision that you're locked into for the rest of your life?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So, this is a decision that you're locked into for the rest of your life?
Right, I'll just go off and win the lottery, or have a genie give me a billion dollars so I can instantly move wherever I want!
What IS IT with you people??? Why do you assume that everyone can just instantly change what life has given them? Do all of you sit on your pearl thrones and look down on us poor people who must have chosen to stay poor? Or chosen to live during a bad economy when no one is hiring?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
MattCW - This a a free country. Every adult has the right to choose where they want to live. You will have to make trade offs with that choice, but it is a choice you have.

You do not have a right to have my tax dollars pay for a train to your front door, if you choose to locate near it, good for you.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM

730 posts, read 827,661 times
Cawjr, you are only looking at the revenue earned by the team. I'm talking more about the revenue that an MLS team would generate for the city of atlanta. This revenue would include things like additional sales tax from restaurant and ticket sales. I also think that an MLS team, like all other amentities of a city, would help attract even more people to our city. Of course I could be niave, but I would have to believe that this 200 million dollar investment would easily be recouped within a 10 year period.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
MattCW - This a a free country. Every adult has the right to choose where they want to live. You will have to make trade offs with that choice, but it is a choice you have.

You do not have a right to have my tax dollars pay for a train to your front door, if you choose to locate near it, good for you.
Ok fine, I want to live in your house. Oh? Not gonna happen? Well so much for "free country" then. I didn't choose to become an adult in a city with no jobs and no transportation to other jobs. Did you choose where you were born? I don't want transit to my front door, I'm smart enough to know that's not feasible, but why such resistance to extending transit to the suburban cities??? It works everywhere else, why is Atlanta oh so special?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Ok fine, I want to live in your house. Oh? Not gonna happen? Well so much for "free country" then. I didn't choose to become an adult in a city with no jobs and no transportation to other jobs. Did you choose where you were born? I don't want transit to my front door, I'm smart enough to know that's not feasible, but why such resistance to extending transit to the suburban cities??? It works everywhere else, why is Atlanta oh so special?
MattCW, I think it may be pretty simple: some folks want it, but many more don't want to pay for it. I understand - I, myself, got fed up with Atlanta / Fulton Co. taxes and the low quality of services they purchase. I didn't need to use MARTA, and, frankly, didn't really care to use MARTA. So, like a lot of folks my age, I moved. (Tired of subsidizing folks so much, and I cannot feasibly leave the country, but I could leave Atlanta / Fulton Co.).

This might sound selfish, but at some point, ya just get tired of paying for things that are no longer that important to you. I want to retire someday.

Is this shortsighted? Perhaps so. If everyone had my attitude there would be no one to fund city and county attitudes so I'm glad that everyone doesn't have my attitude. But, hopefully, that sheds some light on your question. I do love the city very much and want it to prosper.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM

477 posts, read 593,803 times
Quote:
Pressure your local government to do their part in getting the regional commuter rail network up and running. That's the only way a passenger train will make it to most of the suburbs in the current political climate, and even THAT'S a steep hill. I'm not sure which suburb you live in, but chances are MARTA will be shouted down every time it's up for discussion in your town. The only way most of these politicians will sign off on the commuter rail network is if it's controlled by the state, and not by MARTA. So until you can relocate to somewhere that has transit, if you want it, that's your only recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta