Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
It's a thing of beauty its called a real city with real density, something Savannah residents know nothing about.
lol... pathetic...

cities are about much more than that regardless of how dense they are. You need to figure that out.

I'm sorry if you can't appreciate a small city that is an historic jewel and feel the need to malign them on an internet thread to help out your own insecurity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 AM

437 posts, read 629,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
lol... pathetic...

cities are about much more than that regardless of how dense they are. You need to figure that out.

I'm sorry if you can't appreciate a small city that is an historic jewel and feel the need to malign them on an internet thread to help out your own insecurity
Savannah is small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, its not a city its a town that lacks diversity and culture (other than southern), no hustle and bustle, sorry but residents from Savannah have no right to talk smack about a city much more significant/worldly and 1000X larger, it has its ugly parts and parts that would blow Savannah's beauty out the water, clearly an ignorant person who's probably never set foot outside of Georgia.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What a person's preference is doesn't matter ... Metro Atlanta roads are winding and hilly BECAUSE OF GEOGRAPHY AND TERRAIN! Why must this always be brought up as some negative? Do people actually wish that the hills be leveled, trees cut down and granite ridges blasted away?!?

Atlanta's street network is one of it's best qualities. Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills etc among the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the world!

Savannah, on the other hand, is flat as a pancake and built almost entirely on a grid --- which makes perfect sense. Savannah is also beautiful of course!

What's really a shame are city's built on grids that are painfully ugly (Los Angeles, etc).
You basically said everything I wanted to say. I know several gridded cities that I find quite dull.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Cincinnati is very hilly and is basically a grid. Atlanta is just dysfunctional. Arterials should be mostly on a grid.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Cincinnati is very hilly and is basically a grid. Atlanta is just dysfunctional. Arterials should be mostly on a grid.
Just wanted to say LOVE the "nati" lol. It is probably my favorite Ohio city due to its beauty and situation on the Ohio River. And yes, they do have grid streets there and even in other smaller cities in southern Ohio that have huge hills and mountains.

I personally just think, as stated that people here just decided to cut a road and really didn't think about connecting specific neighborhoods and such in a more strategic and cohesive fashion.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to say LOVE the "nati" lol. It is probably my favorite Ohio city due to its beauty and situation on the Ohio River. And yes, they do have grid streets there and even in other smaller cities in southern Ohio that have huge hills and mountains.

I personally just think, as stated that people here just decided to cut a road and really didn't think about connecting specific neighborhoods and such in a more strategic and cohesive fashion.
It seems to be a bunch of villages all with roads to downtown Atlanta and not connecting each other.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The vast majority of name changes are aligning older country roads into arterials. One stretch I know of in Cobb goes from Wigley Road to Jamerson to Shallowford to Shiloh as it cuts across north Cobb from Sandy Plains Road to Kennesaw. These were formerly not aligned. As the area developed, the county aligned these to make this roadway a minor arterial connecting major arterials like Sandy Plains Road, Canton Road, Bells Ferry Road and Wade Green Road. The people living on the inidividual stretches probably appreciated that their street address didn't have to change everytime the county reworked this network.

On your second assumption, give me some proof. I think the inverse is responsible for more name changes. As black leadership came to the COA, many streets have been re-named to honor African American leaders. Sometimes, this has been only for a certain stretch. Sometimes this street carries over into a neighboring jurisdiction where that entity saw no need to change the name.

I understand that there is a place to honor leaders of the past, but it is confusing for a street to change names. And for old timers, it isn't easy to change something you've always known. I still call Metropolitan Parkway Stewart Avenue for instance. And I can remember when Andrew Young Boulevard was Cain Street before it became International Boulevard. Three name changes on that one alone in my lifetime.
Old post, but since it was directed to me, will respond. My comments were based on information I received from older neighbors of mine in the Vine City area. They stated that Simpson Rd (now Boone Blvd) has always had a different name from the section now called Ivan Allen and further down Ralph McGill. Also, Moreland and Briarcliff has always had separate names too amongst other streets.

Street names have been changed here since "black leadership" came to COA but many of the changes were not in specific black neighborhoods and many times they were done in order to try to re-brand a neighborhood like Bankhead changing to Donald Lee Hollowell.

I personally feel they should have just left it Bankhead. Once you get past Veterans Memorial in Cobb County, it changes back into Bankhead. It is just silly.

There is a street in my hometown called "Detroit Ave" and Detroit Ave runs from another town, through the city and all the way up to Detroit, hence it being called "Detroit Ave." Some stretches are good some bad, but that is the name of the street and it is expensive and silly to keep changing the names of streets. I remember they wanted to change the name of a street in my hometown from Dorr St to some black person's name too, and that part of Dorr St is in a traditional black neighborhood but residents fought against changing it because the Dorr family was a prestigious family in the area and people were used to having it called Dorr. They changed the name of a park instead, which people aren't all that attached to. I am still upset about them changing Ashby street here in Atlanta to Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. Nothing against Reverend Lowery, but I liked it as Ashby, it flows off the tongue easier lol.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
dispo
Have you even even been to Savannah to see the old colonial style density of develoment that they have in their central core that features blocks & blocks of row after row of old townhouses, many of which are built around public squares?
It's not the LA style of 20th century density at all but it predates that & is absolutely valid as a dense development style on a smaller scale. It's actually reminiscent of the density type found in similar old townhouse areas of D.C. & it is gorgeous!
There's no need for hating between cities on this thread.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What a person's preference is doesn't matter ... Metro Atlanta roads are winding and hilly BECAUSE OF GEOGRAPHY AND TERRAIN! Why must this always be brought up as some negative? Do people actually wish that the hills be leveled, trees cut down and granite ridges blasted away?!?
Sometimes the reason can be as simple as "it follows a cow path".

Quote:
Atlanta's street network is one of it's best qualities. Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills etc among the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the world!
Atlanta neighborhoods are all they talk about in London, Paris, ...

Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Atlanta neighborhoods are all they talk about in London, Paris, ...
That's certainly not all they talk about, but folks who have visited here love our beautiful neighborhoods.

Ask my neighbor -- he's married to a French woman and they have a home in Paris as well as here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta