U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,134,581 times

Advertisements

Which type of street system do you prefer? The Grid system or do you like the curves that are in our streets in the Metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,951,909 times
Grid by far. Much easier to follow and develop on. It's not like it's London where the curves are extremely dense.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,555,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Which type of street system do you prefer? The Grid system or do you like the curves that are in our streets in the Metro area?
Interesting question.

Which type of street system I prefer depends on the topography of the area that a city sits on.

Generally, I prefer a grid system of surface roads(parallel major roads on a grid network spaced anywhere from 1-2 blocks apart at the urban core of a metro region up to 1 mile apart in outlying areas with a handful of diagonal roads radiating out from the core) in areas with generally flat topography (...like in generally flat metro regions like Dallas, Houston, Miami/South Florida, Chicago, Toronto, the valley floor of the Valley of the Sun in the Phoenix region, the flatter areas of the Los Angeles Basin, Minneapolis-St. Paul, etc).

...And I prefer a much more curvy and/or non-grid system of surface streets and roads in areas with rolling-to-hilly and/or mountainous topography so that the surface road network (and some freeways) more reflects the natural topographical contours of the area (...like here in the Atlanta region, the large population centers of the Northeastern U.S., etc).

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,170,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Grid by far. Much easier to follow and develop on. It's not like it's London where the curves are extremely dense.
It's a false notion that grids lend themselves to higher density development. Just look Houston (or Dallas or Phoenix or Miami or dozens of other low density "new" cities) with it's grids for dozens of miles in every direction and compare it to Boston's crazy maze that make Atlanta streets look sane. Dense development in most instances occurs because it has to, the era in which a city experienced it's high growth, or by design (which has rarely occurred).

I'll grant you grids are easier to navigate, but curves are more fun to drive on.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
What a person's preference is doesn't matter ... Metro Atlanta roads are winding and hilly BECAUSE OF GEOGRAPHY AND TERRAIN! Why must this always be brought up as some negative? Do people actually wish that the hills be leveled, trees cut down and granite ridges blasted away?!?

Atlanta's street network is one of it's best qualities. Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills etc among the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the world!

Savannah, on the other hand, is flat as a pancake and built almost entirely on a grid --- which makes perfect sense. Savannah is also beautiful of course!

What's really a shame are city's built on grids that are painfully ugly (Los Angeles, etc).

Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Actually, I should have said ...

Savannah is built on the most BRILLIANT and FAMOUS street grid IN THE NATION (and quite possibly the world!) ... And is BEAUTIFUL! Point being that the layout of a city should be logical to its terrain.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,555,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What a person's preference is doesn't matter ... Metro Atlanta roads are winding and hilly BECAUSE OF GEOGRAPHY AND TERRAIN! Why must this always be brought up as some negative? Do people actually wish that the hills be leveled, trees cut down and granite ridges blasted away?!?

Atlanta's street network is one of it's best qualities. Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills etc among the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the world!

Savannah, on the other hand, is flat as a pancake and built almost entirely on a grid --- which makes perfect sense. Savannah is also beautiful of course!

What's really a shame are city's built on grids that are painfully ugly (Los Angeles, etc).
Great comments, but how do you come to the assessment that Los Angeles' street grid is ugly?

I've never really thought about the visual beauty of L.A.'s street grid design and I don't have an opinion about L.A.'s street grid either way (...though I have thought about the sheer massiveness of the area that is covered by development in L.A. and Southern California, and I do have a not-so-positive opinion about L.A.'s notorious traffic congestion, overcrowding, pollution, high crime and ridiculously high cost-of-living compared to most places not on one of the coasts).

Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,979,524 times
I think grid systems only fit waterfront cities. Examples in Georgia Downtown Savannah,Augusta & Columbus.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,816,815 times
Grid, and I also prefer the street names not changing half way down the street.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 AM

3,330 posts, read 3,996,968 times
I prefer the grid system because it's easy to find your way and not get lost. I don't know if it's because Atlanta's streets are hilly that the names don't stay the same and aren't numbered outside of Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or