Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hey, Portland mayor: Mind your own business, fugstick.
If you bothered to read the article you'd realize he WAS "minding his own business". He was addressing people in PORTLAND, and one asked him if places like Atlanta and Washington, DC (known for their horrid urban sprawl issues) could replicate Portland. He didn't make it a point to bash Atlanta unprovoked, and if you think Atlanta COULD be overhauled any sooner than "generations", then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Title should be "it will take generations to fix Portland"

Portland is the armpit of the West Coast

Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Title should be "it will take generations to fix Portland"

Portland is the armpit of the West Coast
How so? I've known Portland to be lush, verdant, attractive, clean, transit-friendly, ecologically-conservative, etc. I would think the "Armpit" of the West Coast would be some city in the Inland Empire of California---Bakersfield, perhaps?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've seen this critique before that "rewards" Atlanta's urban sprawl because it has kept housing price in-check and, therefore, has permitted more lower-income minorities and immigrants to thrive. Portland is indeed a rather non-diverse metropolitan area. Guess what? So is my current home of Pittsburgh, and our cost-of-living is on par with Atlanta, if not even a bit less expensive. Pittsburgh has sprawl (even Portland does), but much of our new metropolitan growth in the suburbs is now being built via "Smart Growth" while urban neighborhoods are becoming even denser. Promoting sprawl will not necessarily keep an area "affordable" in the long-term, either. I moved to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia, which was mile after mile of low-density urban sprawl that was ludicrously-priced.

What do I want to see more of in Atlanta? Atlantic Station-esque developments where people can live, work, shop, play, dine, etc. within walking distance (you know, the way people used to do only a few generations ago before cheap gasoline was all the rage?!) While some on this sub-forum balk at city neighborhoods like Lindbergh I foresee areas like that being "red hot" in about another decade due to their accessibility to transit and proximity to the urban core.

Widening every freeway to 16 lanes isn't going to solve Atlanta's traffic woes if that temporary "easy commute" just encourages another massive wave of further-out urban sprawl to creep up and eventually clog all 16 of those lanes.

I wonder who made this argument in the Atlanta forum? It surely wasn't the guy you quoted, so nice try at taking a shot at Atlanta from another city.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You do realize that residents of MANY other cities admire Portland's commitment to environmental sustainability via its urban growth boundaries, right? You do realize that elected officials in MANY other cities tour Portland to learn more about how to better incorporate cycling infrastructure into their cities, right? You do realize that Portland continues to win many urban planning awards that cities like Atlanta will never win, right?
Who cares? Why not go post on their forum and congratulate them?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
The terrain around cities like Pittsburgh and Portland have a HUGE impact on where development can go. Cities like Atlanta and Dallas that are situated on relatively flat (much flatter in Dallas, lol) with no mountain ranges, large bodies of water, major rivers, deserts, swamps, etc, etc, nearby are able to grow in all directions of the compass point. This is one of the reasons these two cities get mentioned in the sprawl debates.

I find it laughable that building freeways in and of itself encourages growth. If that were the case, all a city would have to do to become the next Atlanta is start adding lanes, and VOILA! next major growth city in America! How simple!

There are many factors that cause a region to boom. Booming cities do have headaches that growth in and of itself will bring. I think our fair city has done a rather nice job of managing its growth. The Portland mayor can stay up in his minor league sized city and cast aspersions all day long. For me, I'll stick with Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Guys, looks like we attracted a troll from another city coming in here to "teach Atlanta a lesson". Like people can't believe anyone could be happy living here that they have to "show us the light" lol.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM

35 posts, read 47,026 times
Quote:
I've seen this critique before that "rewards" Atlanta's urban sprawl because it has kept housing price in-check and, therefore, has permitted more lower-income minorities and immigrants to thrive. Portland is indeed a rather non-diverse metropolitan area. Guess what? So is my current home of Pittsburgh, and our cost-of-living is on par with Atlanta, if not even a bit less expensive. Pittsburgh has sprawl (even Portland does), but much of our new metropolitan growth in the suburbs is now being built via "Smart Growth" while urban neighborhoods are becoming even denser. Promoting sprawl will not necessarily keep an area "affordable" in the long-term, either. I moved to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia, which was mile after mile of low-density urban sprawl that was ludicrously-priced.

What do I want to see more of in Atlanta? Atlantic Station-esque developments where people can live, work, shop, play, dine, etc. within walking distance (you know, the way people used to do only a few generations ago before cheap gasoline was all the rage?!) While some on this sub-forum balk at city neighborhoods like Lindbergh I foresee areas like that being "red hot" in about another decade due to their accessibility to transit and proximity to the urban core.

Widening every freeway to 16 lanes isn't going to solve Atlanta's traffic woes if that temporary "easy commute" just encourages another massive wave of further-out urban sprawl to creep up and eventually clog all 16 of those lanes.
Not sure on how long it's been since you've visited Atlanta, but there is a great deal of smart growth and urban repopulation going on here. It seems like you're going on hearsay and "telephone game-style word of mouth".

Just because we don't have big splashy headline-grabbing progress doesn't mean we're not making progress. The beautiful thing about cities is that they're living, changing entities.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Quote:
How so? I've known Portland to be lush, verdant, attractive, clean, transit-friendly, ecologically-conservative, etc. I would think the "Armpit" of the West Coast would be some city in the Inland Empire of California---Bakersfield, perhaps?
We do not care about Portland. GO to the Portland forum if you want to talk with them

Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I wonder who made this argument in the Atlanta forum? It surely wasn't the guy you quoted, so nice try at taking a shot at Atlanta from another city.
I didn't single out any individual in particular, by I HAVE heard supporters of urban sprawl cite "keeping housing prices in-check" on numerous occasions to defend themselves. I pointed to Northern Virginia, where the middle-class is by-and-large priced out of buying a home in mile after mile of sprawl, as one fine example as to how urban sprawl doesn't necessarily encourage cheaper housing prices.

Quote:
Who cares? Why not go post on their forum and congratulate them?
Maybe I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The terrain around cities like Pittsburgh and Portland have a HUGE impact on where development can go. Cities like Atlanta and Dallas that are situated on relatively flat (much flatter in Dallas, lol) with no mountain ranges, large bodies of water, major rivers, deserts, swamps, etc, etc, nearby are able to grow in all directions of the compass point. This is one of the reasons these two cities get mentioned in the sprawl debates.

I find it laughable that building freeways in and of itself encourages growth. If that were the case, all a city would have to do to become the next Atlanta is start adding lanes, and VOILA! next major growth city in America! How simple!

There are many factors that cause a region to boom. Booming cities do have headaches that growth in and of itself will bring. I think our fair city has done a rather nice job of managing its growth. The Portland mayor can stay up in his minor league sized city and cast aspersions all day long. For me, I'll stick with Atlanta.
The more difficult you make it for exurbanites/suburbanites to commute into town, the more likely they'll be to move closer to work (reducing traffic congestion from further out). Make someone's exurban/suburban commute even smoother, and more will follow to live further out until you once again overwhelm the added capacity of the new lanes on the highway networks.

I've noticed many of you Atlantans (and Texans) have this overwhelming "we're bigger, so we're better" mentality. Bigger doesn't always mean better. I'd take Pittsburgh or Portland anyday over Atlanta.

Quote:
Guys, looks like we attracted a troll from another city coming in here to "teach Atlanta a lesson". Like people can't believe anyone could be happy living here that they have to "show us the light" lol.
Why am I troll? One of your own native Atlantans posted this thread, not me. If you only want to bash Portland's sustainability through efficient land use planning while championing Atlanta's unchecked urban sprawl, then be prepared to have someone else play "Devil's Advocate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta