Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Before you talk any further with your foot in your mouth,please read this:

The End of Atlanta's Sprawl | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network

That was in 2008.Imagine what its like today?

And here is more evidence that Atlanta is one of the exceptions as more people are moving to the city than the suburbs.
The Census grossly overestimated the population of Atlanta, so I assume the city/suburb population growth graph would be a bit more even and not favoring the city.

With that said, the general trend in the U.S. is a revitalization of the core city, but the pure number increases in core cities is still far less than the suburbs. For instance, 10% growth in the city would only represent ~40,000 people, while 5% growth in the suburbs would represent well over 100,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta was also only 36 square miles and 9k density for 36 square miles is pathetic. Take the inner 36 square miles of SF and you'll have densities of 25k+. Take Manhattan(26 square miles) and an extra 10 square miles of Brooklyn and you'll have near 50k+. I'm sure the inner 36 square miles of NOLA is somewhere around 15k or so. That doesn't prove anything, but even Atlanta's core wasn't very dense.
The Pro-urban crowd want all 5 million of metro Atlanta's population to live inside the city limits and have a density over 30k per square mile, a grid pattern of medium high rises to fill the masses, limit cars to OTP and have a street car on every street and heavy rail every four blocks. Yes, let's pave over the city in a forest so some 20 somethings living in mom and dads basement can have their utopia.

Am I getting this right?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The Pro-urban crowd want all 5 million of metro Atlanta's population to live inside the city limits and have a density over 30k per square mile, a grid pattern of medium high rises to fill the masses, limit cars to OTP and have a street car on every street and heavy rail every four blocks. Yes, let's pave over the city in a forest so some 20 somethings living in mom and dads basement can have their utopia.

Am I getting this right?
...Pretty much.

But that particular crowd will never get all of what they want in a metro region like Atlanta.

Instead, what they will most likely get is continued denser mixed-use development immediately along major radial nodes (major roads and existing and future high-capacity passenger rail lines) both within and stretching out from the urban core into outlying areas with continued low and lower-density development areas (that are hopefully heavily-wooded) in between the radial nodes.

...Changes in development patterns which will be quite substantial considering Metro Atlanta's history of automobile-oriented development.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Uh, I hope you noticed the irony of your epiphany as you were walking along the Beltline which connects dozens of neighborhoods together.
I was about to say the EXACT same thing!lol

Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindecatur View Post
the locals call the affluent suburb of lake oswego lake no negro.
lol.omg!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:

Am I getting this right?
That put a smile on my face. Great response.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times
But DC and Atlanta are both better cities than Portland. Hell even Charlotte is better than Portland

Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:

Am I getting this right?
All I want is to stop having to pay for the gas and highways for those that choose to live where they have to use them. If people want to pay to live in the suburbs, great. But I think we need to stop forcing people to live there to save money.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
It's sadly the truth. It will take a very long time. It has been entrenched for so long that it will take alot to reverse it. One major problem I've had with metropolitan Atlanta for so long.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's sadly the truth. It will take a very long time. It has been entrenched for so long that it will take alot to reverse it. One major problem I've had with metropolitan Atlanta for so long.
Keep reading the thread, we've discussed at length...

1) metro Atlanta has a lot more people than Portland, and a greater diversity of demands among those people...

and...

B) We ARE actively working to make in-town living less car-dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta