Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times

Advertisements

Just curious about what specific factors makes schools in the northern suburbs so much better than schools in the rest of Metro Atlanta? Is there something that a student would miss out on if they went to an intown private school instead? And lastly, what are some "bad" intown private schools. Do they exist? Conversely, are there any really, really great intown public schools in your opinions? What is your criteria for judging/rating them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
I would not say they are "better" necessarily, but scores (and other factors) are higher due to:

Relative socio-economic wealth.

*The same can be said for Fayette, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cherokee, City of Decatur, etc.

Last edited by aries4118; 09-29-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
MONEY!

For instance, I went to a Cobb HS and it was magnet in math and science. Right behind the school is a subdivision with million-dollar homes and a golf club another subdivision is a country club.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM

30 posts, read 54,285 times
My experience is that many consider a school "bad" when they think their children would be going to school with what they consider to be "undesirable," poor, transient children (or too many of those children) or children of a race/ethnicity they are not familiar with. Many would never articulate or admit that. When I talk to people who talk about what they consider "good" schools, they've never met the principal and they can't tell you all of the teachers that will be teaching their children (and having a great, effective teacher is the main factor that will determine if your child will be a contender for Harvard or not). They have spent more time looking for homes in their target area, and walking in and out of those, than in sitting down with the potential teachers of their children and really understanding the climate and environment of their target school.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now...

Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
MONEY!

For instance, I went to a Cobb HS and it was magnet in math and science. Right behind the school is a subdivision with million-dollar homes and a golf club another subdivision is a country club.

Kennesaw Mountain High School, ba-by! (I assume. )

Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 PM

30 posts, read 54,285 times
As far as criteria, I want to know what teachers will be teaching my child. I would meet them and ask them about their teaching philosophy and what they do to challenge students. I would ask to see lesson plans and see what they plan to cover per unit/per semester. I would want to know how they meet the learning needs of different types of students. Then, I might try to meet teachers at the other schools I am considering and compare notes. I would create a notebook of pros/cons, etc. Also, soon there may be data available (if it's not already) on student "growth" at the school level, which can provide some data about how much growth students experience at a particular school. You can get raw "achievement" data (what did they score on the CRCT), but I would also look at that in conjunction with growth. For example, you can have an excellent student, but you still want them not just to be breezing through making easy "A's" - you want them to continuing growing academically based on their needs. I would have conversations with teachers and principals about this kind of stuff. Often, you can veto a teacher or school pretty quickly based on how staff answer these questions.

Even non-educators can visit classrooms (and I would do that) and see how a teacher is teaching and get some sense about the environment. Are the children engaged? Is the teacher asking easy questions (as in too easy)? Do the kids look confused? Is the teacher leaving obvious confusion unaddressed? Are they doing a lot of different things to reach every student (are they only lecturing, or are they doing activities, showing videos, breaking off into groups, etc.)? What opportunities does the school have for gifted students? For struggling students?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
$$$$$$$

Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscd71 View Post
My experience is that many consider a school "bad" when they think their children would be going to school with what they consider to be "undesirable," poor, transient children (or too many of those children) or children of a race/ethnicity they are not familiar with. Many would never articulate or admit that. When I talk to people who talk about what they consider "good" schools, they've never met the principal and they can't tell you all of the teachers that will be teaching their children (and having a great, effective teacher is the main factor that will determine if your child will be a contender for Harvard or not). They have spent more time looking for homes in their target area, and walking in and out of those, than in sitting down with the potential teachers of their children and really understanding the climate and environment of their target school.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now...

The rest of your post is spot-on, but the bolded part is not true.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Thanks for the swift and thorough replies. Now how do the intown private schools stack up? Is it worth the investment?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
No disrespect to the OP, but I find it rather shocking that anybody would seriously have to ask this question.

The relation between socioeconomic status and educational achievement is well documented and universally understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta