U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 AM
 
513 posts, read 1,399,822 times
Reputation: 207

Advertisements

I don't think the OP sounds ridiculous. I'd rarely ever venture downtown if I didn't work there. I go to Midtown for specific events and Buckhead probably only for shopping (not the ritzy places). This city is so much different as a place to live compared to tourist activities, although we know how to make guests have a really good time and fall in love with Atlanta. Midtown would be a wonderful place to live. Buckhead probably as well. I'm not offended by people only spending a couple of days here and not understanding why some of us really love this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,966 posts, read 4,561,023 times
Reputation: 3211
that's a major problem that people think five points and places like underground are the places to be when they come to town, and then they think atlanta sucks. the fact that cool places like piedmont park, little five points, west midtown, etc. are not accessible by transit and are not as easy for outsiders to find makes atlanta seem boring; you could say it is the fault of the OP for not researching the city before coming here, but if thousands of people are having the same issue (which it appears is what's happening), then isn't the problem one we need to fix?

to the OP: yes, most of the stuff going on in atlanta occurs just to the east and west of midtown, in neighbourhoods like west midtown, virginia-highland, and the old fourth ward along the beltline, and then further south in places like little five points, grant park, cabbagetown, and east atlanta village. if you really want to see what makes atlanta unique, you have to see those places.

we are working on our urban core as fast as we can— just a 50 years ago midtown looked like this:


and today it looks like this:



so we're trying to catch up as fast as we can. are we as urban as cities in the northeast yet? of course not. but we hope to be at the level of about baltimore or philly in the next 30 years, and that's what we're going for. by looking at the above photo you can tell that we're a good portion of the way there— we've just got to get land values high enough that parking lot and parking deck owners would make more money selling the land to apartment and condo builders than they would continuing to operate lots. that will be the tipping point, and in some crucial corridors such as in midtown between 7th and 15th, that is happening right now.

but most of all, be patient. we weren't a big internationally known city until like 20 years ago. you guys have had an 100 year headstart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Duluth, GA
1,139 posts, read 881,679 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Also, you have to keep in mind that Atlanta metro is not very pedestrian-friendly so things are going to be a little different than maybe what you're used to.
This is worth keeping in mind when setting expectations of what Atlanta will be like, especially for visitors from northeastern cities. This is not Philly or Boston, where you can easily walk from Cheers to Fenway. We're rather decentralized, and a car will be a necessity to see it all. I'll admit; I was a lot like the original poster when I first moved here from Up North [by way of Philly, I might add] in that I was confounded by how spread out things in town were ["Buckhead is way up there?!?" I asked from Midtown, having been pointed to high-rises many miles away].

As has been getting discussed in the Coca Cola Museum thread, Atlanta easily has the means to entertain almost any demographic of tourist. Some people might have to re-calibrate their urban entertainment compass, if you will, to find what suits them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,057,830 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ GUY View Post
I would give weather, nightlife and women to Philadelphia. Everyone has their opinion though.

And no, it is a proven fact more overseas travelers visit Philly.
Philly last call is at 1:30, they dont have one megaclub, etc. Atlanta has more visitors than Vegas and we also have more than Philly. Any straight man who has been to both cities know Atlanta women has way more attractive women. Fact is killadelphia is extremely poor, violent, horrible topography, weak nightlife, majority hootrat women, no AA professional nightlife band they are forced to drive to DC to party, horrible taxes, over 40k abandoned buildings, etc

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 10-01-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,057,830 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Opinion, opinion, opinion, not sure, opinion, fact, fact, fact, opinion, fact, fact.

5/11 on the facts there.

Why do many Atlantans dismiss criticism about the area and boast other nonsense instead of addressing the points raised by the OP? I understand they're opinions too, but the views of outsiders should be recognized and not shunned. Whenever someone says something not 100% positive about Atlanta, it is written off as another 'Atlanta basher.' It gets old.

The aforementioned rant is applicable to multiple threads, not just this one.
The truth is the truth. The bible says "let the truth set you free" and that is what I'm doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,315 posts, read 3,765,049 times
Reputation: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
This is worth keeping in mind when setting expectations of what Atlanta will be like, especially for visitors from northeastern cities. This is not Philly or Boston, where you can easily walk from Cheers to Fenway. We're rather decentralized, and a car will be a necessity to see it all. I'll admit; I was a lot like the original poster when I first moved here from Up North [by way of Philly, I might add] in that I was confounded by how spread out things in town were ["Buckhead is way up there?!?" I asked from Midtown, having been pointed to high-rises many miles away].

As has been getting discussed in the Coca Cola Museum thread, Atlanta easily has the means to entertain almost any demographic of tourist. Some people might have to re-calibrate their urban entertainment compass, if you will, to find what suits them.

But given that downtowns are usually the place to be in most major cities, how would a vsistor know that?

If you are planning a trip and know nothing about the city, how would you know to ask what places other than downtown to see? From a tourist/visitor perspective, how would you know that a major citiy's downtown isn't bustling and that the city is not pedestrian friendly? How would you know that if you don't know anyone in the city already? Why would a major city not be pedestrian frienldy? When you are used to sidewalks everywhere, it wouldn't occur to you the another major city doesn't have everywhere because you think sidewalks are "normal." Atlantans expect visitors to assume thingsouldn't assume normally.

Yes for northerners from other major cities, these just aren't questions you would think the ask because we are used to everything being right there. Sure it's fine that Atlanta's not like northern cities. The thing is, you don't know that until you actually get here.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-01-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Limbo
6,458 posts, read 5,912,441 times
Reputation: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
The truth is the truth. The bible says "let the truth set you free" and that is what I'm doing
I'm sure it does. That applies to the truth, though, not opinions. If you find a way to objectively quantify that Atlanta has the best topography or even better topography than Philadelphia, then I'll believe your preaching. Until then, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,381,247 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Does Atlanta Have the worst big city downtown in the South?

NO.
Best answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,057,830 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'm sure it does. That applies to the truth, though, not opinions. If you find a way to objectively quantify that Atlanta has the best topography or even better topography than Philadelphia, then I'll believe your preaching. Until then, no.
Whatever that makes you sleep better at night

The end/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,541 posts, read 1,788,551 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
that's a major problem that people think five points and places like underground are the places to be when they come to town, and then they think atlanta sucks. the fact that cool places like piedmont park, little five points, west midtown, etc. are not accessible by transit and are not as easy for outsiders to find makes atlanta seem boring; you could say it is the fault of the OP for not researching the city before coming here, but if thousands of people are having the same issue (which it appears is what's happening), then isn't the problem one we need to fix?

to the OP: yes, most of the stuff going on in atlanta occurs just to the east and west of midtown, in neighbourhoods like west midtown, virginia-highland, and the old fourth ward along the beltline, and then further south in places like little five points, grant park, cabbagetown, and east atlanta village. if you really want to see what makes atlanta unique, you have to see those places.

we are working on our urban core as fast as we can— just a 50 years ago midtown looked like this:


and today it looks like this:



so we're trying to catch up as fast as we can. are we as urban as cities in the northeast yet? of course not. but we hope to be at the level of about baltimore or philly in the next 30 years, and that's what we're going for. by looking at the above photo you can tell that we're a good portion of the way there— we've just got to get land values high enough that parking lot and parking deck owners would make more money selling the land to apartment and condo builders than they would continuing to operate lots. that will be the tipping point, and in some crucial corridors such as in midtown between 7th and 15th, that is happening right now.

but most of all, be patient. we weren't a big internationally known city until like 20 years ago. you guys have had an 100 year headstart.
Plus, you have to remember that Atlanta was burned to the ground by that arehole Sherman. He knew Atlanta was an important center even back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top