U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,765,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, maybe it's because I'm from Atlanta, but I never go to ANY city looking to be entertained downtown. If it has a great downtown, HOORAY! But that's not gonna be my first place to look!

Would anybody actually think to go to downtown Miami? NO! Downtown Orlando? NO! Downtown LA? NO! Downtown (CBD) New Orleans? NO! Downtown Vegas? HELL TO THE NO!
Maybe it's because you are used to your city not having all the entertainment and such concentrated downtown. And not that all cities have everything in their downtown either, but still I think people expect more out of Atlanta's downtown. It should be better than what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,057,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Go to Birmingham or Huntsville. Those are terrible downtowns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Downtown is pretty walkable. I worked there for eight years. I just think that for a city of this scale people expect more out of it.
I do agree with this especially since we have a large skyline. Hopefully in the next 10 years I would be able to walk from CNN to 17th st and not see anyparking lots and dead areas

Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM
JPD

11,869 posts, read 14,477,354 times
Quote:
But given that downtowns are usually the place to be in most major cities, how would a vsistor know that?

If you are planning a trip and know nothing about the city, how would you know to ask what places other than downtown to see? From a tourist/visitor perspective, how would you know that a major citiy's downtown isn't bustling and that the city is not pedestrian friendly? How would you know that if you don't know anyone in the city already? Why would a major city not be pedestrian frienldy? When you are used to sidewalks everywhere, it wouldn't occur to you the another major city doesn't have everywhere because you think sidewalks are "normal." Atlantans expect visitors to assume thingsouldn't assume normally.

Yes for northerners from other major cities, these just aren't questions you would think the ask because we are used to everything being right there. Sure it's fine that Atlanta's not like northern cities. The thing is, you don't know that until you actually get here.
They would know by asking. The OP, with 343 posts, obviously knows about this forum, so why didn't they come here and ask us? Sounds like they wasted their money on a trip to Atlanta all because they didn't do their homework. Why would anyone travel in the first place if they think everyplace is just like home?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They would know by asking. The OP, with 343 posts, obviously knows about this forum, so why didn't they come here and ask us? Sounds like they wasted their money on a trip to Atlanta all because they didn't do their homework. Why would anyone travel in the first place if they think everyplace is just like home?
Why would anyone expect a city of this scale to not have a good downtown?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM

13,129 posts, read 15,932,791 times
Quote:
Are you serious? There are DOZENS of major American cities that have less-than-stellar downtowns. Anybody who travels even occasionally and knows anything about ... hell, ANYTHING would know that!

But despite all that, the fact is that Downtown Atlanta is not nearly as bad as you (or the OP) is making it out to be. It manages to entertain thousands of visitors every day ... even if one person from Philly failed to see it.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 AM

3,208 posts, read 4,510,069 times
I'm guessing Tampa isn't among the cities OP has been to.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM
JPD

11,869 posts, read 14,477,354 times
Quote:
Traveling to places based on uninformed expectations is a good way to lose a lot of money and have a bad time.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM

22,170 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'm guessing Tampa isn't among the cities OP has been to.
Any city in Florida for that manner.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,057,830 times
I said the same about LA and every TX city but I did prior research on those cities b4 I went

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Traveling to places based on uninformed expectations is a good way to lose a lot of money and have a bad time.
It's not an uninformed expectation. It's a normal one. But you don't know that about Atlanta if you don't already know the right questions to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or