U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,062,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
downtown MIAMI?: YES (come see how many charter tours we have from Brazil to shop in downtown daily)

downtown ORLANDO?: NO

downtown LA : YES (Quite vibrant)

downtown NO? : include the French Quarter? YES

downtown VEGAS? : NO

downtown ATLANTA? : Where are the strip clubs?
Hello hater

Tomorrowworld>>>>> Ultra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 931,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
WOWWOWOWWWOW... I just started this thread yesterday and it already has 7 pages.

A couple of points.

1) I did do my research and knew there were alot of tourist things to do in downtown ATL. But i also like walking the streets like i do in every city i visit. I could have guessed the response i would have gotten on Citydata from people pushing neighborhoods outside downtown. I didnt have a car and didnt want to mess with the bus system.
2) Bashing Philly and me does not make downtown ATL better. Philly has loads of problems but its downtown is its strength, something to be showed off with pride.
3) Downtown ATL was built before the car just like Philly but Philly didnt bull doze so much after WWII (just wasnt as prosperous i guess).
4) Saying that Atlanta is great because its has some good neighborhoods, a strong economy, and lots of tourist attractions does not mean it has a good downtown.
5) People visit Philly with lower expectations and are blown away by downtown (called Center City) and other neighborhoods. ATL boosts alot which leads to high expectations that are really let down when visiting.
6) Clearly i struck a nerve to be getting this much attention. If you guys just admit Dowtown ATL has real problems that need addressing, i think the downtown could be better. Philly did this 25 years ago with the creation of Center City District and putting the pedestrian fist over the car.
7) Maybe it was a mistake of phrasing the topic as Is ATL the worst. I will be visiting Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami shortly and from my research (given the size of the regions and their reputations) i should be pleasantly surprised by their downtowns.

1. You mean you didn't visit those places and yet you want to say ATLs downtown is the worst?

2. Who or where did you see Atlanta being boosted and give examples please?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,824,947 times
Have you seen downtown Jackson,Mississippi?

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 10-01-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM

6,929 posts, read 9,626,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why do questions on this board always seem to be posted in the negative - "Does Atlanta have the worst..." Why can't we phrase things a bit more positively - "Which city in the Southeast has the best big city downtown?" Just sayin'
Exactly!

In my 6 years of contributing to this site, I have only twice gone to a forum where I don't have a stake and started a thread commenting on their area. Both situations were from visits and both were appreciating what I found positive about the area, the first a trip to Colorado Springs to visit my brother and the second on the NW Arkansas area after visiting on several occasions due to my daughter being enrolled at the Universtiy of Arkansas.

Maybe it is the southerner in me, but I was taught that if I didn't have anything good to say, then I shouldn't say anything at all. To come onto a forum that is not your own home town or current place of residence and start critiquing is a very high from of arrogance IMHO.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM

27,897 posts, read 24,945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Have you seen downtown Jacksonville,Mississippi?
I'm pretty sure nobody (outside of other parts of MS) is calling Jackson a "big city."

As it regards the question at hand, no, Atlanta doesn't have the worst big city downtown in the South.

That said, it has the potential to be so much more than what it is.

Outside of the tourist attractions and special events, Atlanta is more of a livable city in the day-to-day sense, which is why the real essence of the city is to be found in our neighborhood commercial districts. Midtown, Buckhead, Edgewood, Kirkwood, Sweet Auburn, O4W, Grant Park, L5P, Vinings, downtown Decatur, East Atlanta Village, Castleberry Hill, etc. don't exactly tickle touristy fancies, but they add immensely to the quality of life of residents.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

13,169 posts, read 16,001,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I will be visiting Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami shortly and from my research (given the size of the regions and their reputations) i should be pleasantly surprised by their downtowns.
STOP RIGHT THERE! After all that's been said on this thread, and the benefit of the doubt that's been extended to you by Atlanta posters who agree our downtown is not the greatest, the suggestion that you probably missed the best that it has to offer, and the explanations that have been given to you about why Atlanta's downtown cannot be fairly compared to other downtowns ... YOU have already established that "I should be pleasantly surprised" by the downtowns of other Southern cities which you have never visited!

You weren't honestly asking if Atlanta has the worst downtown in the South, you'd already decided that ... WITHOUT SEEING ANY OTHERS! Which suggests you created this thread with a preconceived bias under the intention to troll.

It's one thing to visit a city and then ask natives later, "Help me understand what I saw." It's quite another to visit a city, tell natives "You are the worst place in your region ... of course, I've not yet seen anything else in your region ... but I'm sure I'll like those places over you!"

Old 10-01-2013, 05:07 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure nobody (outside of other parts of MS) is calling Jackson a "big city."

As it regards the question at hand, no, Atlanta doesn't have the worst big city downtown in the South.

That said, it has the potential to be so much more than what it is.

Outside of the tourist attractions and special events, Atlanta is more of a livable city in the day-to-day sense, which is why the real essence of the city is to be found in our neighborhood commercial districts. Midtown, Buckhead, Edgewood, Kirkwood, Sweet Auburn, O4W, Grant Park, L5P, Vinings, downtown Decatur, East Atlanta Village, Castleberry Hill, etc. don't exactly tickle touristy fancies, but they add immensely to the quality of life of residents.
Same can be said about many cities. The best of NYC can be found between both of the two main CBDs of Manhattan. It's just that NYC has incredibly interesting neighborhoods that make even tourists want to visit them. I'm not sure a tourist is too keen on visiting Kirkwood.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think people expect those cities to have terrible downtowns, but not Atlanta, being that it's a global, major city and The Capital of the South.
Why would people automatically expect Birmingham and Huntsville to have terrible downtowns (and neither are big cities, nor do I think they have "terrible" downtowns)? Just because they're in Alabama? Surely not because they're smaller than Atlanta because size has nothing to do with the state of a city's downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, maybe it's because I'm from Atlanta, but I never go to ANY city looking to be entertained downtown. If it has a great downtown, HOORAY! But that's not gonna be my first place to look!

Would anybody actually think to go to downtown Miami? NO! Downtown Orlando? NO! Downtown LA? NO! Downtown (CBD) New Orleans? NO! Downtown Vegas? HELL TO THE NO!
I think you're an exception. The historic urban core is where I tend to start first, then branch outward--unless I'm already staying in one particular part of a city that's already vibrant. But many of my first encounter with cities have been via conventions and meetings, which occur in venues downtown for the most part. So that's where I tend to start.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Same can be said about many cities. The best of NYC can be found between both of the two main CBDs of Manhattan. It's just that NYC has incredibly interesting neighborhoods that make even tourists want to visit them. I'm not sure a tourist is too keen on visiting Kirkwood.
But those neighborhoods are in addition to Manhattan's CBDs and they are pretty seamlessly connected to them due to NYC being the most highly developed city in the country.

I'm aware that a tourist wouldn't be too keen on visiting Kirkwood, which is why I explicitly stated that many of our neighborhood commercial districts "don't exactly tickle touristy fancies." Even so, tourists would be more prone to do so if dense, urban development was consistent from downtown all the way out to Kirkwood and downtown Decatur.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,984,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I guess in my case (Los Angeles), I was just responding to somebody who put LA on a list that it shouldn't have been on. DT ATL is great! I used go on these forums but not comment all the time when I lived in ATL and was always a booster. To me at least, it seems like ATL can dish but doesn't like to receive criticism. You can be critical, compare it with other cities, while at the same time loving the city.
The reason why Atlanta posters are so defensive is because, These post and threads happen to Atlanta daily about the same crap. Just go to city vs city threads and see how many threads are created with Atlanta in it with people making outlandish statements instead of giving a more rational one. I dont think the posters have a problem with people criticizing Atlanta but the things that keep being brought up our city council mayor and citizens know that. We never get credit for the strides the city is trying to make to make sure our citizens can have a great urban life and suburban life.

THE SAD THING IS WITH THE MINDSET OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE, UNTIL WE LOOK LIKE PHILLY OR NYC WE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE PEOPLE TRYING TO PUT US IN OUR PLACE.

Some cities on here just get passes because there walkable have great transit and history, The troubles and issues those cities have gets swept under a rug as if they don't exist.

This kinda stuff doesn't happen in some of the other forums Go to Charlotte forum and try doing what most are doing here and they will run u out of there quick fast and a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or