Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
1. So whats your Point? Philly's downtown is still way better than Atlanta's. Atlanta still cant compete with better downtowns in the South.
2. So what? Philly is more than 2x the size of the detroit and 3x the size of atlanta. Philly is growing, Detroit is shrinking. Philly is growing wealthier, Detroit is growing poorer. Philly has better universities than both Detroit and Atlanta. Has better transit than Detroit and Atlanta (easy to do). All three have similar size metro regions.
3. Philly does not particularly like NY. Its just as old and has more historic sites. It looks and feels very different from NY. Have you even visited the two cities?
4. Umm ok... but at least i can walk to all the bars in the city and take the train home to the burbs or walk to the neighborhoods.
5. Good for you. If you lived up here you could visit NYC or DC/Baltimore for a day trip. I do it all the time. NYC has a better downtown/midtown than Philly but so what? This thread is about Atlanta's downtown versus others in the South. not Philly v. NY.

Atlanta does not even have the best downtown in GA. That honor goes to Savannah. A city that cares about its historic architecture and built environment.
-Philly is the armpit of the Northeast with Bmore coming in close
- Philly has the worst nightlife next to Boston and Bmore in the Northeast
- Philly has the most rough looking women in the Northeast
- Philly last call is at 1:30am LOL
- Philly is just a garbage trashy dirty crime infested city
- Nobody from Atlanta is moving to Philly but Atlanta is filled with people from Philly.

The moral of the story is Atlanta nightlife, direct flight access, COL, topography, entertainment, quality of women, weather, we have more annual visitors, more hotel rooms, etc is better than Philly. Sure Philly is more walkable but if you have to run from bullets, drug dealers, hookers, mafia members, rats, roaches, etc on every streets that doesn't matter. The End/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
- Nobody from Atlanta is moving to Philly but Atlanta is filled with people from Philly.

The moral of the story is Atlanta nightlife, direct flight access, COL, topography, entertainment, quality of women, weather, we have more annual visitors, more hotel rooms, etc is better than Philly. Sure Philly is more walkable but if you have to run from bullets, drug dealers, hookers, mafia members, rats, roaches, etc on every streets that doesn't matter. The End/
I hate to say it, but this is kind of true. I'm a massive lover of big, dense, walkable cities as many on this forum sees through my posts, but for some reason, I have no interest in Philly. It has great density, but I don't know....I'd rather live in ATLANTA than Philly. If I'm going to live in Philly, I might as well live in D.C., NYC, or Boston instead.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hate to say it, but this is kind of true. I'm a massive lover of big, dense, walkable cities as many on this forum sees through my posts, but for some reason, I have no interest in Philly. It has great density, but I don't know....I'd rather live in ATLANTA than Philly. If I'm going to live in Philly, I might as well live in D.C., NYC, or Boston instead.
Might as well go to Chicago or Nyc. What's the point of living in walkable Philly if the bars close at 1:30am and if the women look like they just came out the MJ Thriller video?

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 10-04-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
Quote:
Might as well go to Chicago or Nyc. What's the point of living in walkable Philly if the bars close at 1:30am and if the women look like they just came out the MJ Thriller video?

I thought Atlanta had alot of obese or "thick" looking people. Unless you consider that beautiful...

You get used to the early bar closing.. you go partying earlier and not at midnight.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta could be the greatest city in America if y'all redirected your energy towards actually doing something to make the world a better place.
Ummmm....yeah, about that:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change

The Carter Center: Advancing Human Rights and Alleviating Suffering

Andrew Young Foundation

Joseph E. Lowery Institute

The Task Force for Global Health |

American Cancer Society

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta could be the greatest city in America if y'all redirected your energy towards actually doing something to make the world a better place.

If you defend the condition of Atlanta's downtown then you've highlighted why things are like they are. If you want anything done or anything to change in this town, you gotta do it yourself.

Here are two pictures illustrating less than perfect areas. NYC is cleaner than it's ever been, every streetlight from LaGuardia is functioning. There is nonstop drive to improve every aspect of life.

Over the past several months, I have reported about 20 burned out traffic signal bulbs in Atlanta. One intersection off North Ave went 3 months with a burned out bulb.

Now that Ponce De Leon has been reduced to 2 lanes in each direction, watch how long it takes for the overhead lane signage to be modified. I'll bet a year from now no one will have done anything.

Entire swaths of highway lighting on Buford Highway aren't working. I've reported it to GDOT and city of Atlanta.

Until Atlantans take some initiative, the status quo of 3rd highest rate of armed robbery, frequent smash and grab break ins, car jackings, constant advertising of title pawns and injury attorneys will constitute life here in metro Atlanta.

If you think it's like this in the majority of other major US cities, you're sorely mistaken.

Here are more of my small steps trying to maintain Atlanta as a well regarded American city.

Emails and photos to City of Atlanta Public Works and GDOT:

Y'all?LOL.Since when do you know anything about anybody on here?
Being defensive does not mean that there is nothing being done.It was proven within the first few pages of this thread that all the accusation of Atlanta and Downtown not improving have been laid to rest with factual data that actually has shown what has been done and what is developing as we speak.

Just a short 20 years ago Times Square was a cesspool.It was in way worse shape than Downtown Atlanta was.If NYC can do it,Atlanta will to.It did not happen over night.Just like it did not happen over nt for it to degrade to what it is currently.

Have you ever been to Philly?Baltimore?LA?You see those same tyoe of places EVERYWHERE in those cities also.

I think you should just move away.You are really complaining about a stop light being out?Most people have more things to worry about.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Numerous foundations

Georgia Tech Research Corporation

Habitat for Humanity

Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
Quote:

-There are lots of ****y cities in the Northeast. I doubt Philly is the worst after Baltimore.
-Rough looking women? What study proves this? Are you joking or mentally ill?
-and last call makes Philly's downtown worse than Atlanta or Atlanta better than other cities in the South? Sorry for the DWI or expensive taxi ride that i dont have to take in Philly.
-"garbage trashy dirty crime" Some one is again bashing with no data. You look like a fool.
- Again where your data on moving?
- Philly is a hub for US Airways. I never in all my traveling had to connect for a flight. Plus Newark Airport and BWI are right around the corner.
- "have to run from bullets, drug dealers, hookers, mafia members, rats, roaches, etc on every streets that doesn't matter" - more name calling without sources ... REALLY??!!?!

Are you seriously a real poster? or just some troll with a temper.

Im sorry that you have to make Sh*t up to boost Atlanta and bring down Philly. But no matter what you say Atlanta's downtown sucks and even though Philly is not the best ... At least it is playing in the Majors while Atlanta's downtown clearly is in the minor league... a step above Phoenix, OKC, and Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta