U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM

512 posts, read 815,686 times

Advertisements

I just recently visited Atlanta and thought it was going to be great considering all the good press about Hotlanta and such but i thought the downtown was awful. Pretty dead during the day with not much retail, restaurants or other things going on. Maybe Im just spoiled coming from Philly but man it was a disappointment.

I later talked to people from Atlanta and they said Midtown and Buckhead was really good but i was disappointed in those two areas too. Midtown sorta felt it was built in the 80's/90's and sorta was a cross between a downtown and office park. It didn't really work and there were so few people on the streets. It felt like a ghost town during a weekday. Buckhead felt light a series of strip malls but with rail access. Like King of Prussia back home.

Is there some other urban area that people work/shop/go to because these areas totally didnt cut it for me. I have been to Dallas, Charlotte, Houston, NOLA, and others. I honestly thought that Atlanta had the worst downtown and that Midtown/Buckhead were poor substitutes compared to other places.

Please dont shoot the messenger. I hope its getting better downtown but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that Downtown Atlanta is not pulling its weight for such a large and prosperous region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,056,883 times
We might not be as walkable as Philly but we have better weather, better nightlife, our last call is later, we have more attractive women, we hosted the Olympics, we have more direct flights, our cost of living is cheaper, we have better topography, more people visit Atlanta than Philly, our taxes are lower, etc as Philly.

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 09-30-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,593,089 times
Lol. Atlanta is one of the more vibrant southern downtowns during the day. Definitely more energy than any of those cities you mentioned, but NOLA probably. Even at night, areas around the Peachtree Center districts an Centennial Olympic park area still has good amounts of people walking around.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM

20,910 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Spoiled guy from Filthydelphia? Two can play at that game.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,909,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Spoiled guy from Filthydelphia? Two can play at that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
We might not be as walkable as Philly but we have better weather, better nightlife, our last call is later, we have more attractive women, we hosted the Olympics, we have more direct flights, our cost of living is cheaper, we have better topography, more people visit Atlanta than Philly, our taxes are lower, etc as Philly.
Opinion, opinion, opinion, not sure, opinion, fact, fact, fact, opinion, fact, fact.

5/11 on the facts there.

Why do many Atlantans dismiss criticism about the area and boast other nonsense instead of addressing the points raised by the OP? I understand they're opinions too, but the views of outsiders should be recognized and not shunned. Whenever someone says something not 100% positive about Atlanta, it is written off as another 'Atlanta basher.' It gets old.

The aforementioned rant is applicable to multiple threads, not just this one.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,345,209 times
Atlanta has one of THE BEST big city downtown/CBDs in the South. Why anyone would expect it to be like the older Northern cities, I have no idea.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM

13,109 posts, read 15,917,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I just recently visited Atlanta and thought it was going to be great considering all the good press about Hotlanta and such but i thought the downtown was awful. Pretty dead during the day with not much retail, restaurants or other things going on. Maybe Im just spoiled coming from Philly but man it was a disappointment.

I later talked to people from Atlanta and they said Midtown and Buckhead was really good but i was disappointed in those two areas too. Midtown sorta felt it was built in the 80's/90's and sorta was a cross between a downtown and office park. It didn't really work and there were so few people on the streets. It felt like a ghost town during a weekday. Buckhead felt light a series of strip malls but with rail access. Like King of Prussia back home.

Is there some other urban area that people work/shop/go to because these areas totally didnt cut it for me. I have been to Dallas, Charlotte, Houston, NOLA, and others. I honestly thought that Atlanta had the worst downtown and that Midtown/Buckhead were poor substitutes compared to other places.

Please dont shoot the messenger. I hope its getting better downtown but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that Downtown Atlanta is not pulling its weight for such a large and prosperous region.
Is it possible you were looking too hard? Seriously, though some of what you said is valid ... much of it can be dismissed. The Centennial Park area of downtown is most definitely NOT awful. The area around Five Points swells with thousands of office workers and college students from Georgia State University every weekday. On most any night of the week, concerts or sporting events bring even more people downtown.

Midtown has come a long way from what it was in the 1980's and '90s and is now a true 24-hour live / work / play neighborhood inhabited by thousands of young families with young children. Did you go anywhere near Piedmont Park? Obviously not or you would have seen HUNDREDS of active people on the streets! Did you venture into the vicinity of Technology Square, the East Midtown campus of Georgia Tech? Guess not. Did you cross the 17th Bridge to see what life is like at Atlantic Station -- the most successful brownfield reclamation project in the history of the country? I think we know the answer to that question.

Not too many years ago, Buckhead mostly WAS a suburban area and a handful of strip shopping centers from that era remain. But the district today is part of the City of Atlanta and dominated by office towers, ritzy hotels, high-rise condos and the south's most exclusive shopping malls -- the only thing that makes it similar to King of Prussia.

And not to shoot the messenger, but I've been to Philly. Much of the city is a filthy dump. I'll take "boring" yet beautiful Atlanta over what Philly offers anyday.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-30-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM

6,906 posts, read 9,591,544 times
Does Atlanta Have the worst big city downtown in the South?

NO.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 PM

28 posts, read 29,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I would give weather, nightlife and women to Philadelphia. Everyone has their opinion though.

And no, it is a proven fact more overseas travelers visit Philly.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,647,939 times
I understand the OP's reaction to Atlanta. After having lived in NOLA before moving here, I did wonder who decided to put the "HOT" in front of "lanta" if referring to partying, Buckhead was pretty cool before it became a mostly retail district.

For now, midtown is where I like to play. I'm fine with running at Piedmont Park, chilling at Starbucks with my dog, or having a late night meal at a number of places. At least they stay open at night unlike some of the surrounding areas. Let's just say I find that area a bit less restrictive; I mean it's so blue law here that they didn't even start selling alcohol in stores on Sundays until last year.

I have not been to Decatur Square in a month of Sundays, but if it's the same way it was before, then you might like the atmosphere there.

Also, you have to keep in mind that Atlanta metro is not very pedestrian-friendly so things are going to be a little different than maybe what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or