Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Now this I don't agree with because there are soooo many black people who are outside what is considered black culture. I'm not saying there's no culture either, but it still doesn't mean that it defines us all.

A black person not being into hip hop or rap music isn't an anomaly. But on the other hand I get what you are saying. I'm considered to be weird (at least here in Atlanta) because of my tastes in music. But back home it's common for black people to be into the things I'm into. I guess it varies by region or city.
I think you misunderstand black American culture. It's not just something as superficial as genres of music like its been pigeonholed as for the last two decade.

It's a culture you share with anyone who's ancestors were brought over as slaves. That history and the oppression after it created a culture all African Americans are a part of to some extent. Just because you listen metal or EDM doesn't mean you have no cultural ties to black culture and its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
smh at this thread....for so many reasons.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
smh at this thread....for so many reasons.
Lol. Why?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Now this I don't agree with because there are soooo many black people who are outside what is considered black culture. I'm not saying there's no culture either, but it still doesn't mean that it defines us all.

A black person not being into hip hop or rap music isn't an anomaly. But on the other hand I get what you are saying. I'm considered to be weird (at least here in Atlanta) because of my tastes in music. But back home it's common for black people to be into the things I'm into. I guess it varies by region or city.
I agree with the emboldened statement and it doesn't contradict anything I said.

I'm not saying that if a Black person isn't into any one particular genre that they are an anomaly, especially since a lot of it depends on age. But if a Black person isn't into hip hop, R&B, jazz, blues, OR Gospel, any one of them, then I think they can pretty much be considered an anomaly from a general cultural perspective since all of these genres generally spans age ranges.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with the emboldened statement and it doesn't contradict anything I said.

I'm not saying that if a Black person isn't into any one particular genre that they are an anomaly, especially since a lot of it depends on age. But if a Black person isn't into hip hop, R&B, jazz, blues, OR Gospel, any one of them, then I think they can pretty much be considered an anomaly from a general cultural perspective since all of these genres generally spans age ranges.
From personal experience, I get what you are saying. I listen to some music of these genres but none of them are my favorites in that they don't occupy much space or any in my music collection. And because I don't listen to this music I do get looks from other blacks so I hear you. I guess I just know so many black people who are like me. I can see both sides of it.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

We created rock and most of the foundations for all forms of EDM. Everything we listen to that isn't folk or traditional in nature had roots in black American and Caribbean culture.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
We created rock and most of the foundations for all forms of EDM. Everything we listen to that isn't folk or traditional in nature had roots in black American and Caribbean culture.
This is true; you can even throw country into that mix. I'd say those genres play more of a minor role in contemporary Black culture, but they still have a place.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:02 PM

567 posts, read 889,460 times
So my friend came.. and we had a ball! I even learned a thing or two. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
So my friend came.. and we had a ball! I even learned a thing or two. Thanks for the suggestions!
Hey hey hey now. We need a more detail response. Where all did you go? They did your visitor think? etc

Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Hey hey hey now. We need a more detail response. Where all did you go? They did your visitor think? etc

Sim, eu concordo com gerry--

Mais detalhes, por favor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta