Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Be careful since the MLK Historic Site is closed due to the gov't shutdown.
The King Center is open though. And hopefully this shutdown mess will be over by the time the guy comes to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Do it like Borat and go around Bankhead at 1 in the morning.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Do it like Borat and go around Bankhead at 1 in the morning.
On this specifically, the funny thing about that scene if you caught it was that it was one of the few times in the movie that Borat wasn't treated like crap or ran off. Sure, they were poking fun at him, but they were also joking with him and having a good time. Funny/sad how the American psyche says that someone like him showing up in the hood at 1am is a death sentence (he made it out fine), yet I bet that if he went to some random cul-de-sac in suburbs at 1am trying to talk to someone his chances of being shot would be significantly higher.

Borat being a gangster - YouTube

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
(Almost) all of the above, plus:

Stonecrest Mall
Atlantic Station
Lenox Mall (preferably on the weekend)
The Historic West End
Sweet Auburn Curb Market
Camp Creek Marketplace

also...
Ride down these streets (preferably from beginnng to end):
Cascade
Glenwood
Panola/Evans Mill
MLK
Auburn Ave.
Atlanta Ave.

And get out and stroll though/hang out at:
The Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spelman Campuses
Soul Vegetarian (West End)
Shine of the Black Madonna
Washington High School

and it would really help if you knew a lot about these places so you can discuss them with him as you tour the city...

just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
When is "later this year?"

If you're thinking the fall, AUC homecomings are finished by the end of October, and during the Thanksgiving holidays and winter break no one will be around.

If it's around Christmas, there are a lot of black holiday events (i.e. Kwanzaa celebrations, Black Nativity plays etc.) If you can provide a bit more specifics about the date, I can suggest some things beyond the whole "soul food and strip club" theme, though I thoroughly enjoy both of those haha!

In general though, I think an average night out in much of midtown will expose him to plenty of black Americans. Some primary nightlife spots:

- MJQ on a Friday night
- Apache on a Sunday night
- Castleberry Hill Friday or Saturday
- Compound, Reign, or Vanquish Friday/Saturday
- Tongue and Groove on Monday
- W Whiskey Park on a Thursday or Friday

General neighborhoods:

- West End/Cascade- eat at Chanterrelle's and/or Soul Vegetarian, then you can drive up to the Shrine of the Black Madonna Cultural Center and Bookstore and check out the Black Holocaust Museum. This year is the Shrine's 60th anniversary, so they're doing some things throughout the year. Check out one of their Sunday services if you're around (except late October because they're having an anniversary retreat outside of the city). If you're lucky, you might land on a book signing, since prominent public figures consistently make a stop at the Shrine when they promote their books. Up the road is Wren's Nest and then continue as it becomes Cascade Road where many of Atlanta's black political families reside, and Creflo Dollar, too. Maybe eat at The Beautiful or Q Time on the way back.

- Sweet Auburn/MLK Historic District/Edgewood Ave- Check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market and the Apex Museum. Travel up to the MLK historic site. Dine at Harold's Chicken and Ice Bar on Edgewood Ave. Later you can lounge at Cafe Circa or Indigo bar. On the weekends, Cafe Circa has a super late night brunch (2am-5 am). It's like going to Waffle House for the after party, but 10xs better food. FREE Mimosas this FRI & SAT Late Night 2am-5am = “Breakfast Club” @ Cafe Circa | Get Spinz

- Castleberry Hill- this is more for an evening out. Just check out this hood any given Friday and Saturday, and there's a good 5-6 bars restaurants you can enjoy. There's not a ton to see here, so maybe spend a few hours lounging and then go to bars/clubs in the city for an actual party.

-Greenbriar- The mall is really hood, so I wouldn't totally suggest that, but up the street is Tyler Perry's studios, which would be a cool experience. Despite all the critiques of the man, it's amazing how he started from being homeless to having an empire. His studios are huge and well worth a visit to see how this black dude became to own so much. Also, one thing that is typical for a lot of Black folk who grew up in Atlanta is a night at the skating rink. I loooved going skating growing up and often went to the Cascade Skating Rink--they have grown folks' nights!! Adult Nights Skating Sessions at Golden Glide and Cascade

Other things to do:
- There are plenty of black non-profits that do work in predominately black neighborhoods. One is WeCycle Atlanta, which consists of a lot of young black bicyclists and they do various service projects. A good way to actually meet people and learn the city on an intimate level beyond the ritz of nightlife that ATL is known for. An event for example: https://www.facebook.com/events/1419847974896858/

- The National Black Arts Festival is based here, and they have various fine arts and performing arts events throughout the year. Updates here: Events - National Black Arts Festival

Again, once you get a specific time frame in mind, I could suggest some other cultural activities (i.e. Black film festivals, art exhibits, music venues/concerts, etc.)
I agree with the above.

Also, even though I figure Ant was trying to be facetious, I do suggest going to Vine City, especially Sunset Avenue. Dr. King and Corretta Scott King lived on Sunset Avenue and Dr. King did a tour of the neighborhood, pictures of him on the tour are in the new Walmart near the AUC on MLK. A relative of the King family currently lives in their old home. Also, since I am in English Avenue and even though it is not a pretty neighborhood by any means, I know that the school on my street (English Ave) was the only school that was bombed during the Civil Rights Movement here in Atlanta due to integration. It is one of the oldest school buildings in Atlanta still standing. It is no longer being used, so is boarded up, but if your friend likes old architecture, it is a beautiful building IMO.

I hope that with the new Civil Rights Museum, they will highlight more of West Atlanta's prominence with the CRM here in Atlanta. I was thinking that once the area is fixed up a bit more, it would be great to have a Civil Rights tour on the Westside. There are a lot of sites that hold historic value in regards to the CRM.

And FWIW, I'm black and do think there is a black culture in Atlanta. I do think of myself as a "black American" and I am more American than anything, but black people do have a subculture of Americanism. Just like Italian Americans or Irish Americans and even Southern Americans. So I don't see it as anything racist or anything like that.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
On this specifically, the funny thing about that scene if you caught it was that it was one of the few times in the movie that Borat wasn't treated like crap or ran off. Sure, they were poking fun at him, but they were also joking with him and having a good time. Funny/sad how the American psyche says that someone like him showing up in the hood at 1am is a death sentence (he made it out fine), yet I bet that if he went to some random cul-de-sac in suburbs at 1am trying to talk to someone his chances of being shot would be significantly higher.

Borat being a gangster - YouTube
I thought I'd seen the whole movie and had no clue about this part. But what you said rings 100% true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above.

Also, even though I figure Ant was trying to be facetious, I do suggest going to Vine City, especially Sunset Avenue. Dr. King and Corretta Scott King lived on Sunset Avenue and Dr. King did a tour of the neighborhood, pictures of him on the tour are in the new Walmart near the AUC on MLK. A relative of the King family currently lives in their old home. Also, since I am in English Avenue and even though it is not a pretty neighborhood by any means, I know that the school on my street (English Ave) was the only school that was bombed during the Civil Rights Movement here in Atlanta due to integration. It is one of the oldest school buildings in Atlanta still standing. It is no longer being used, so is boarded up, but if your friend likes old architecture, it is a beautiful building IMO.

I hope that with the new Civil Rights Museum, they will highlight more of West Atlanta's prominence with the CRM here in Atlanta. I was thinking that once the area is fixed up a bit more, it would be great to have a Civil Rights tour on the Westside. There are a lot of sites that hold historic value in regards to the CRM.

And FWIW, I'm black and do think there is a black culture in Atlanta. I do think of myself as a "black American" and I am more American than anything, but black people do have a subculture of Americanism. Just like Italian Americans or Irish Americans and even Southern Americans. So I don't see it as anything racist or anything like that.
Good points. And even Vine City in its unpolished form can serve as a history lesson to the person visiting from Brazil about the unintended effects of various government policies, especially urban and housing policy, originally intended to help Blacks (and the insidious effects of those that were intentionally discriminatory, such as FHA/VA lending policy). Unfortunately, that's a part of our history and culture too, yet it represents an opportunity to learn and improve.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
I can see why he wants to experience black culture...black people are the BOMB!

come over to my folks house for a barbecue in kirk wood...it will be off the hook!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:21 PM

408 posts, read 393,299 times
Didn't one of the downtown universities buy the Paschal family out when the last brother retired from the restaurant business? I seem to recall that one of them got the family recipes in the deal.

Anyone flying into, out of or through Atlanta can get a taste of Southern culture just by visiting one of the Paschal's concessions in the airport; last I checked, there were Paschal's in the main atrium and in the center of the A concourse.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
N_A

21 posts, read 58,902 times
If this post was created 2 mos ago, I would have thought you were a friend of mine. My friend recently had a friend and his family from Brazil visit him. They stayed for a month, and went to the Black colleges, some bars downtown, “House in the Park” at Grant Park, Malcolm X Festival, Jazz Festival, Wednesday Winddown, Underground, Auburn Ave Library, houses of friends with families in various parts of metro Atlanta, Carter Center, MLK Center, March on Washington anniversary (in D.C.), rode MARTA, and plenty of other places, not including strip clubs or rib joints. Obviously, you can't take them to some of these, but Atlanta is full of Black culture.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM

386 posts, read 667,843 times

Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I have a Brazilian friend of mine who is coming to Atl later this year. He is interested in the city, but he is particularly interested in seeing "real" black culture. Given the fact the city is repeatedly called a "Black Mecca" what sorts of things could he do to see more of it. Other than riding MARTA and going to a soul food place (I kid I kid.. well kind of lol) what could we do? Also keep in mind we are young and not opposed to nightlife. Thanks!
A native black American barbershop or a native black American beauty salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta