U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,558,164 times

Advertisements

From Midtown Patch...

"In a recent newsletter from the Midtown Ponce Security Alliance, we learned how the trans-prostitute gangs are becoming more and more dangerous. According to the article, "more dope boys are marauding around among the trans gang," making the situation even more scary for area residents..."

Full Story: MPSA Gives Update on Midtown's Trans-Prostitute Gangs - Police & Fire - Midtown, GA Patch
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
Interesting. While the story doesn't mention it, this is a problem that has been growing in South Midtown (below 5th street and above Ponce...although there is bleed over) for the last 10 years or so. When I used to live in the area, it was a constant problem and nuisance. In fact, it was one of the main reasons we moved since I was getting tired of all the weirdos who would frequent the neighborhood even in the middle of the day looking for a trick or a score.

Funny story: A few weeks ago on a Saturday nigh, my wife and I were entertaining some friends in town from Cali. After having dinner and drinks out in VA-HI, they wanted to see where we used to live on 4th street since we used to regale them with stories of our old crazy neighborhood.

While I expected to see a few trans prostitutes hanging out on Argonne and on 3rd street, I wasn't prepared for how many I saw. There were at least a dozen hanging out from every street street corner along with what I thought were their pimps. I guess these were the dope boys mentioned.

I am wondering though if the APDs effort to cleanup Boulevard (which seems to be working since you don't see as many dope boys hanging out on corners as there used to be) has pushed the business over a few blocks. With the narrow streets and tight buildings, it would be hard for police to maneuver a squad car in that neighborhood on a chase and easy for a perp to hide.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Funny how people move to Midtown and then stand in their front yards complaining about trans prostitute gangs and dope boys.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,745,054 times
Thanks for posting! My tennis coach and I were just discussing this when I was having my tennis lesson today at Piedmont Park. He said there had been a lot of transvestites in the park lately. Just as he completed that sentence, a person fitting that description walked into the tennis center.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Funny how people move to Midtown and then stand in their front yards complaining about trans prostitute gangs and dope boys.
LOL, very true.

For the record, when I first moved there and figured out what was going on, it didn't bother me too much. The prostitutes and dope boys will leave you alone when you walk down the street once they realize you aren't a potential client. In fact, I ended up feeling bad for them. Especially the prostitutes, since most of them were strung out and/or homeless and were doing it just to "get by".

In all honesty, the Johns were invisible to me most of the time, Only the crazy and loud bums that came scrounging over from Pine Street were a problem, and they would usually leave you alone too after seeing you a few times and not giving them any money to support their habit.

That is of course until I got married and my wife moved in. She was a city girl too, so I knew she wouldn't be phased by the prostitutes or drug dealers. The Johns and druggies were the ones that made it unbearable. They'll leave a man alone in most instances, but women they specifically target to harass. On more than a few occasions, she was forced to duck into a storefront and ask the clerk or hostess for help because some whacked dude was yelling at her for several blocks for change or some creepy dude was being creepy.

While I agree with you that people moving to that area shouldn't get all shocked at what they'll find, I can't fault them for wanting to do something about it. I don't think you will ever be able to eradicate it completely (then again, 15 years ago this was what the corner of 5th and Peachtree was like and it's like it never happened today), but it definitely is a problem that needs immediate attention.

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-01-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
WTF? I just learned something new about Atlanta. I guess I always knew there were some trannies ho'n it up around Ponce. I just never knew it was this big of a deal. JJEEEZZZZZ

Pine St "shelter" strikes again...

Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM

1,132 posts, read 878,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
WTF? I just learned something new about Atlanta.
I know, right? I was expecting an article from The Onion.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:10 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
That article read like something from The Onion.

Was smelling like goats really the best description that could be used in a police report? Seriously? Why not just say often carry a foul odor?

Am I the only person who found this entire report derogatory and sensed a judgmental bias to the whole thing?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
I'd prefer to see the trans prostitute gangs and dope boys relocated to Duluth. They've got an awesome town green up there as well as a more open minded population.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,055,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd prefer to see the trans prostitute gangs and dope boys relocated to Duluth. They've got an awesome town green up there as well as a more open minded population.
At least they are bringing foot traffic to the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta