U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
JPD

11,863 posts, read 14,468,147 times

Advertisements

So, this is going to wind up as one of those airports that caters to skydivers, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,828,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I still say Dobbins / Lockheed in Marietta is the best / easiest location for a second commercial airport in Metro ATL. The infrastructure (access roads, runways, facilities) is already in place, and the neighborhood is used to airplane noise.

If they can make this a hub for commuter / low-cost carriers like Chicago Midway, I can see it working. Better north-south connections to 20 and 75 will be the key, though.
I agree. Dobbins makes a lot more sense.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM

5,369 posts, read 4,891,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Maybe this will push GDOT to start on the long-waited Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis highway/freeway?
The Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis freeway could be a very-heavy (but not impossible) lift with the transportation investment-averse state governments of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee needing to coordinate with each other to build the massive project, funding of the project needed from a virtually bankrupt federal government, and opposition from environmentalist groups being very-difficult to contend with.

Quote:
I believe the airport is located in two counties (Paulding and Polk). UPS recently bought some land over there - I think for air cargo.
The airport is actually located completely within Paulding County (...but in the western portion of the county near the Polk County line).

Your comment that UPS recently bought some land near the Paulding County Airport is key because UPS has wanted to expand air freight operations very-near its world headquarters in Atlanta for many years, but has been unable to do so because of the overwhelming focus on passenger aircraft operations at the world-leading Atlanta Airport.

Right now, UPS' international air freight hub is located at the Louisville, Kentucky airport where passenger operations are nowhere remotely near as dominant as they are at the world-leading Atlanta Airport.

But UPS has always wanted to establish a major hub for its air freight operations much-closer to where its world headquarters are located in Atlanta ever since moving its world headquarters to Atlanta in 1991.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Plan is just awaiting FAA approval to begin commercial service.
Trust me, it's awaiting a lot more than just FAA approval. That in itself means that it needs to be certificated under Federal Aviation Regulation part 139 in order to accept commercial air service, which is a whole host of regulatory requirements.

Then the airport would actually need to find airlines interested in serving it. A 5,500'x100' runway might be okay for RJs, but a 737 is going to have some performance issues, especially in the summer when you consider the humidty + field elevation.

The only way I see it drawing even a single turbo prop is by guaranteeing the airline that it will make a profit on the flight. Other airports have done this, where if the airline doesn't make at least X amount of money per flight, the local authority chips in the rest.

I like how the article says,

Quote:
Smith said he's already in talks with several airlines to start commercial service and is working on proposals to convince big time aerospace and aviation companies to set up shop and create hundreds of high paying jobs.

"Like a Boeing or an Airbus or a Bombardier or a Garmin, those types of things," Smith said
That's like me saying, "Yeah, I'm a student film director, and I'm thinking about making a movie. I'm looking to get Ben Affleck, Bradley Cooper, or Bruce Willis to star in it, you know, one of those types of guys."

Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Your comment that UPS recently bought some land near the Paulding County Airport is key because UPS has wanted to expand air freight operations very-near its world headquarters in Atlanta for many years, but has been unable to do so because of the overwhelming focus on passenger aircraft operations at the world-leading Atlanta Airport.
You're not getting any cargo aircraft in or out of a 5'500 runway.

There's plenty of room to expand cargo operations at ATL, and the airport authority actively tries to at every chance it gets. Cargo activities stress the overall infrastructure of an airport much less than passenger flights, and all of UPS' flights occur in the dead of night, so it's not like they're having to share crowded airspace with anyone in and out of the airport.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh
Paulding airport plan includes airline flights | www.ajc.com

Paulding airport to bring in commercial flights | www.wsbtv.com

Plan is just awaiting FAA approval to begin commercial service. Would expand the airport to support 737s where the City of Atlanta owned land since the 70s that was to be a potential second airport to relieve Hartsfield. (Note that COA is not involved, deal is driven by "Propeller Investment" which tired this in Gwinnett last year).

The airport had no transit or interstate access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But it does have Rockmart Highway off of I-20.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pauld...,+Georgia&z=14

And if successful, they could build a connection with I-75.
Paulding County officials actually have a proposal on the books to build a tollway connection to I-75 to the north and I-20 to the south, but cannot get ever the slightest bit of political support from either the State of Georgia or neighboring Carroll and Bartow counties to complete the connection to both interstates.

Paulding County particularly cannot get support from neighboring Bartow County where there is very-hardcore opposition from the locals to the Outer Perimeter concept and where locals on the Northside of Cartersville are in a 3 decades long court battle-to-the-death with the Georgia Department of Transportation over the 411-75 Connector (a court battle-to-the-death that they currently seem to be winning courtesy of the ridiculously-wealthy Rollins Family and many well-funded environmentalist groups).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It has a single 5,505 ft runway. A bit short but probably fine for 737s. And plenty of room to add another if they want to.

I sort of imagined a 2nd airport as being further north because HJI's airspace is so congested.
The City of Atlanta actually owns land north of Atlanta in Dawson County that it bought in the mid-late 1970's with the intention of eventually building a reliever airport to Hartsfield-Jackson.

...But due to intense opposition from local residents and environmentalists (who are very-protective of the heavily-wooded foothills and low mountain range land north of the metro area, and get even more fiercely-protective of the land the farther one moves north away from Atlanta into the Blue Ridge Mountains region), the City of Atlanta has changed their plans for the land for either a mid-sized manmade reservoir to store drinking water with an adjoining recreational area, or as a nature preserve for hiking, hunting and fishing.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I still say Dobbins / Lockheed in Marietta is the best / easiest location for a second commercial airport in Metro ATL. The infrastructure (access roads, runways, facilities) is already in place, and the neighborhood is used to airplane noise.

If they can make this a hub for commuter / low-cost carriers like Chicago Midway, I can see it working. Better north-south connections to 20 and 75 will be the key, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I agree. Dobbins makes a lot more sense.
From a purely logistical standpoint (particularly with regards to existing road and future transit connections and its relatively very-close location to the major employment centers of Metro Atlanta), Dobbins would be a much-better choice.

But the extreme closeness of surrounding nearby residential development in heavily-developed and heavily-populated Southeastern Cobb County makes Dobbins an option that would be extremely difficult to bring online politically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You're not getting any cargo aircraft in or out of a 5'500 runway.
Well, obviously with their ambitions, Paulding County officials would gleefully commission the expansion of the runway to accommodate both cargo aircraft and larger passenger aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
There's plenty of room to expand cargo operations at ATL, and the airport authority actively tries to at every chance it gets. Cargo activities stress the overall infrastructure of an airport much less than passenger flights, and all of UPS' flights occur in the dead of night, so it's not like they're having to share crowded airspace with anyone in and out of the airport.
These are good points, but I didn't say that there was not any room to expand cargo operations at the Atlanta Airport.

...I said that passenger aircraft operations are the overwhelming focus at the Atlanta Airport, something which is obvious with the Atlanta Airport's status as the world's busiest passenger airport with well over 90 million passengers flying through the airport yearly and with the airport having more passenger aircraft operations than any other airport on the planet at the moment.

Though the airport authority actively tries to expand cargo operations at every opportunity, however much the airport tries to expand cargo operations at the Atlanta Airport likely still will never be enough to the liking of UPS which is looking for a set-up that is similar to the international air cargo hub at the Louisville Airport which is basically an airport where air cargo operations are the overwhelming focus and passenger airline operations are secondary by comparison.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Also, the backstory behind Paulding County's plans to expand their airport is that Paulding County has some fairly ambitious plans for future development in the county.

Paulding County's leadership basically aspires for the county to be the next Cobb County in terms of economic development and real estate development but could have difficulty enacting those huge ambitions because of the reluctance of Paulding's neighbors in Bartow and Carroll counties to embrace the tolled Western Bypass concept, which many see as a rehash of the very-unpopular Outer Bypass concept from a decade-and-a-half ago.

Paulding County may also have difficulty enacting its ambitions to be the next Cobb County because of the presence of the large Paulding Forest Wildlife Management Area within the county which any proposals to significantly disturb with development will draw fierce opposition from local residents and environmentalists.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM

11,572 posts, read 17,506,588 times
Second? You mean third. There is Dekalb-Peachtree, I think there is one commercial flight into it, I've flown there myself via private charter.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM

11,572 posts, read 17,506,588 times
Quote:
Maybe this will push GDOT to start on the long-waited Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis highway/freeway?

I believe the airport is located in two counties (Paulding and Polk). UPS recently bought some land over there - I think for air cargo.
UPS operates it's air cargo at it's central US depot, Louiseville, from Louseville Internationl, just like Fedex does with Memphis - MIA. They don't need seperate airports, most of the flights leave at night and they suplement with using commercial flights for air cargo. Having a seperate airport would not be efficient. What they need is hanger space.
It's a straight shot to Memphis from Atlanta...via Birmingham and 78. Forget about Huntsville. That's a northern route that I would never use. What they do need is to develop 78 and make the last 20 miles or so 4 lane into interstate 20 instead of dumping me in the outskirts of Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or