Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

Dumping large amount of federal tax dollars into a small area usually results in a positive benefit of a fraction of that amount to the local economy. Hundred of millions of dollars may go to create a few dozen jobs, but I think that there are better uses for that money.

If "Propeller Investment" really thinks this is a great, profitable location for an airport, then they should invest to build it without subsidies and make there money back from future airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM

183 posts, read 298,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That's a really good point.

Though, it does not appear that this new airport is meant for practical purposes as much as it is meant for the purpose of sparking a major wave of multiple types of new real estate development (industrial, commercial and residential development) in Paulding County.

Paulding County wants to be the next Cobb or Gwinnett County when it comes to tax digest-enlarging real estate development and Paulding County officials see a new airport as a way of helping them achieve their goal of substantial economic growth.

And even with the obviously questionable location of this new airport, it likely still could potentially get much use as a second major Atlanta-area airport in the future as there just simply are not many, if any, other viable candidates for a second major Atlanta-area airport at this time for various reasons (ranging from too much existing development around some airstrips, and no interest from local governments because of fear of overdevelopment around other airstrips).
I could be wrong, but I just simply cannot see this airport as being a second airport at all unless maybe they build some type of highway to this location which is hard to do in this state. I honestly can't even see there being any type of demand for all those types of real estate developments that far out as Paulding County is probably one of the absolute least convenient place to be in all of the metro. Just as I said, I could be wrong, but Paulding County and this airport is just so far from the metro and its alot easier for probably about 95% including most of neighboring Cobb of the metro to just go to Hartsfield. Now this airport would be better for those in NW Georgia such as Rome, Carrollton, etc, but is there really such a demand for those areas

Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
I agree that Paulding is inconvenient for most of Metro Atlanta, especially the eastern portions. Plus, there is no good way to get to Paulding. Sure 78 is fine IN Paulding itself, but connections to 78 are another issue for now.
ALSO, there is an issue with other alternate modes of transport out there.

Maybe if the infrastructure was upgraded enough, I suppose it could be somewhat of an alternative, but there again is the issue with convenience to the eastern suburbs.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
I could be wrong, but I just simply cannot see this airport as being a second airport at all unless maybe they build some type of highway to this location which is hard to do in this state. I honestly can't even see there being any type of demand for all those types of real estate developments that far out as Paulding County is probably one of the absolute least convenient place to be in all of the metro. Just as I said, I could be wrong, but Paulding County and this airport is just so far from the metro and its alot easier for probably about 95% including most of neighboring Cobb of the metro to just go to Hartsfield. Now this airport would be better for those in NW Georgia such as Rome, Carrollton, etc, but is there really such a demand for those areas
I agree that the location of the Paulding County Airport is relatively far-flung from the most-densely developed and populated parts of Metro Atlanta where there would likely be the most demand for the services of a second major airport.

(...A better location for an airport would likely be on the Northside of the metro area, which the City of Atlanta bought the land for in Dawson County back in the mid-late 1970's, but Delta, the environmentalists and the NIMBY's have made development of that land a total impossibility at this point at that City of Atlanta-owned land that was originally intended as land for a second airport is on the verge of being designated an Appalachian foothills nature preserve.)

But it is that relatively far-flung and isolated location on the very-outer western edges of Metro Atlanta that could possibly work to the airport's advantage because there is currently very-little residential development within the immediate area of the Paulding County Airport, which means there will be very-little opposition to expansion of airport operations and facilities as needed if the airport experiences any type of growth.

You are very correct that it will be extremely-difficult politically to build some type of superhighway connection to this airport, but there is potential for the main radial drag through the area, Highway 278-6, to eventually be converted into some type of limited super arterial-type road with grade-separated intersections at selected junctions.

There is also some potential for some type of high-capacity passenger rail service to eventually be developed and implemented within the existing NS freight rail right-of-way that runs through the county roughly parallel to Highway 278-6.

It is also very understandable how those in more-developed parts of the metro area could be doubtful of the real estate and economic development potential of a relatively far-flung Paulding County.

But despite the county's seemingly far-flung location, Paulding has experienced extremely-explosive population growth over the last few decades, with the county growing by over 77% and gaining over 63,000 residents between 2000 and 2012 to a population of over 144,800 residents, numbers that are astonishing considering that Paulding County only had a total population of 41,611 in 1990.

That explosive population growth has been evident with the increasing amount of development that has gone up throughout the eastern half of Paulding County, particularly along the Highway 278-6 corridor through the Hiram area (where there is a very-heavy amount of commercial development centered on the junction of Highways 278-6 and 92) and into the Dallas area.

Though, one thing to keep-in-mind is that the Paulding County Airport is intended to be much more of a real estate and economic development centerpiece than it is to be for purposes of logistical convenience.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyb03 View Post
Huh?!? There are already RNAV instrument approaches that get aircraft into 3R at PDK. RNAV is the whole basis of NexGen. Heck, soon aircraft will be cleared for RNAV approaches, in IFR weather, abeam ATL instead of going out 20+ miles for ILS PRMs when landing the outer runways.
Yes you are right. There is an RNAV RNP curved approach in to runway 3. But it's DH is 338 AGL. Although better than the ILS in to PDK it's still not as good as a conventional ILS. And you aren't going to get a cat II or cat III out of that.

There aren't very many days when PDK is below minimums, but they do happen. General aviation just has to put up with it, but scheduled airliner service won't like that at all.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yes you are right. There is an RNAV RNP curved approach in to runway 3. But it's DH is 338 AGL. Although better than the ILS in to PDK it's still not as good as a conventional ILS. And you aren't going to get a cat II or cat III out of that.
What you talking 'bout, Willis?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
. It has a single 5,505 ft runway. A bit short but probably fine for 737s. And plenty of room to add another if they want to.
That is very short, for an airport that supports airline service. Runways at other airports in GA that have airline service range from 7,000' to 10,000'

The airports in Rome and Cartersville both have longer runways. Both airports are also home to charter operations that offer jet service. The main runway at Rome is 6000', and they are making tentative plans to extend it to 7,000'. This would make it the longest runway in Georgia at a uncontrolled airport (and airport without an control tower.) The justification for the longer runway is attract private jets that require a 7000' runway for insurance purposes. I am surprised that an air carrier's insurance company would allow a 737 to take off or land on a runway that is only 5,500' long, except in an emergency.

Someone once told me that one of the original proposed routes for I-75 was from Atlanta, though Rome, and eventually to Memphis. Apparently, the officials in Rome did not want an Interstate going through their town. This led to the ATL-Cartersviile-Datlon-Chattanooga route. I think Rome's airport would already have airline service, if it did not take 30-45 minutes to get the I-75.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 10-11-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What you talking 'bout, Willis?
Long winded and pilot-babble way of saying that PDK has fewer options than other similar airports when the weather gets bad And given its position they can only improve the instrument landing capabilities of one of the runways. I'm not sure if airliners would be too happy with that.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM

294 posts, read 451,195 times
On Atlanta Bus Chron says according to a letter from Delta expressing their opposition they supposedly haven't even gotten approval from the FAA. Im honestly thinking that this thing isn't going to "fly". Hehe

Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Second? You mean third. There is Dekalb-Peachtree, I think there is one commercial flight into it, I've flown there myself via private charter.
No,

PDK is charter only.

That is not the same thing as an airport set up for continuous commercial service, even if it is commuter oriented like the proposal for Paulding and previously Briscoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta