Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,937,957 times

Advertisements

I love the history of the place and I love Atlanta, but as other have said, the market has no place on a list like this. It's not even the best in Atlanta, nor can it compete with the likes of Reading Terminal Market in Philly, among many others. The quality and variety of the offerings just aren't that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,511,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post

Some people refuse to let Atlanta have anything. Shouldn't you be worrying about the government shut down ovethr there in Arlington?
I love how personally people take this crap. Where you the one suggesting I "grow up" via rep point?

Look at the other posts in this thread. They all seem to be agreeing with me. You are either not at all well-traveled or refuse to call BS on something you know isn't true. There are at least a half dozen markets I can name off the top of my head that can run circles around the SACM and those are just the ones in the states.

And btw, I'm about as far from the DC area you can get right now and the government shutdown affects the entire country you genius. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta has more federal employees excluding the Pentagon.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Say something positive about Atlanta, and here they come...

Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,076,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post

Some people refuse to let Atlanta have anything. Shouldn't you be worrying about the government shut down over there in Arlington?
Because it's a joke. Seriously, this little tiny market is one of the best food markets of the world? Right...

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,820,491 times
i'm not going to badmouth the sweet auburn curb market because it is by far the best market in downtown or midtown and i love all the restaurants located in there. it is FAR from being a "joke", and anyone who's been there knows what i'm talking about. fresh vegetables in an urban area can be quite rare.

that being said, it's on a list with international markets that are much, much, larger than sweet auburn curb market. it's probably the smallest market on the list, by far. it's great for a small market, but it can't compete with some of these huge european and asian markets you see on the list.

the reason i think your dekalb farmer's market is not on the list is because it's not technically a "market"— there's only one seller (besides the restaurant up front, but i think even that is run by the same folks) in a giant warehouse.

i have high hopes for ponce city market, but i fear that it will become only a market for the very-well-to-do, specializing in 'charcuterie' and 'epicurean delights' rather than a broad variety of raw produce, breads, meats, and international imports sold by regular people for reasonable prices.

the only two spots i can think of in atlanta that come close to that concept of many sellers, lots of variety and low prices are the sweet auburn curb market and the state farmers' market— and the state farmers' market doesn't look so hot these days.

i hope PCM will prove me wrong and become a real marketplace rather than another put-up job for the ultra-rich, but i'm not keeping my fingers crossed. either way, i'm happy that building is getting used.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,617,406 times
How do you all think KSM and PCM will be ranked regionally when they open next year

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,211,419 times
Those places are probably going to be collections of boutiques and restaurants, and not really markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta