Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times

Advertisements

Norcross High and Duluth High--two outstanding high schools. Please read link below:

AJC special report: SAT scores rise with family wealth. A... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Great job, Gwinnett County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
Does anybody have any theories?

I'm going to wager that it has to due with minority immigrants. Maybe even though these immigrants are technically impoverished, they still have high education standards and demand performance from their children.

I'm not sure about Norcross, but I do know that Duluth high school is about as diverse as you can get. It's more or less a quarter white, a quarter black, a quarter Hispanic, and a quarter Asian. Out of all those groups, only the Asians have a track records of educational excellence despite poverty....so maybe there is something else at play. Maybe just the fact of being so diverse plays into success?

It's an interesting case study, for sure. Maybe it just shows that dedicated teachers and a good school can make a difference no matter what the kids come from.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Does anybody have any theories?

I'm going to wager that it has to due with minority immigrants. Maybe even though these immigrants are technically impoverished, they still have high education standards and demand performance from their children.

I'm not sure about Norcross, but I do know that Duluth high school is about as diverse as you can get. It's more or less a quarter white, a quarter black, a quarter Hispanic, and a quarter Asian. Out of all those groups, only the Asians have a track records of educational excellence despite poverty....so maybe there is something else at play. Maybe just the fact of being so diverse plays into success?

It's an interesting case study, for sure. Maybe it just shows that dedicated teachers and a good school can make a difference no matter what the kids come from.

I do think Norcross and Duluth are exceptional schools...

But they are exceptions rather than the rule.

Poverty (or lack thereof) is one of the main (maybe even the primary) determinant(s) of test scores.

There are certain things that I think Norcross and Duluth unique. I may go into it further (I don't have the time right now).

I'd also like to know the poverty rate for the following schools:

Wheeler
North Springs
Riverwood
Decatur
Marietta
Lakeside

Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 PM

SAT scores: 'A strong measure of accumulated opportunity' | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM

I'd be very interested in your theories as to what makes Duluth high unique, since it's the school I'm districted for and I don't know too terribly much about it aside from the demographics and the fact that all the high school aged kids around here seem to be really good kids.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,667,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I'd also like to know the poverty rate for the following schools:

Wheeler
North Springs
Riverwood
Decatur
Marietta
Lakeside
From the AJC on Sunday for the same story:

46%
45%
35%
N/A
N/A
41%

I'm assuming Decatur and Marietta are missing because of this:
Only scores reported for schools where at least a fifth of seniors took the test are included here.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'd be very interested in your theories as to what makes Duluth high unique, since it's the school I'm districted for and I don't know too terribly much about it aside from the demographics and the fact that all the high school aged kids around here seem to be really good kids.
Cool--should have more time tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
From the AJC on Sunday for the same story:

46%
45%
35%
N/A
N/A
41%

I'm assuming Decatur and Marietta are missing because of this:
Only scores reported for schools where at least a fifth of seniors took the test are included here.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,319,995 times
Like was mentioned in the AJC "Get Schooled" article/blog, Norcross High School is located in a community that is extremely socio-economically diverse with two extremes that range from poverty and transience and aging multi-family homes along Peachtree Corners Circle and Jimmy Carter Boulevard/Holcomb Bridge Road at the low-end of the economic scale to substantial wealth and six and seven-figure single-family homes on the banks of the Chattahoochee River at the high-end of the economic scale.

The vast socioeconomic diversity of the feeder zones for Norcross and Duluth high schools is likely one of the major reasons for their academic success despite their very-high poverty rates.

Both Norcross and Duluth high schools are also extremely racially diverse, though with 21% of Duluth High School's total enrollment being made up of Asian students, Duluth High School has a much-higher percentage of Asian students than does Norcross High School.

Norcross High School student demographics courtesy of Great Schools.org:
Norcross High School - Norcross, Georgia - GA - School overview

Duluth High School student demographics courtesy of Great Schools.org:
Duluth High School - Duluth, Georgia - GA - School overview

Norcross High School in particular also has a special powerful fundraising organization called the "Norcross High School Foundation for Excellence" that provides additional financial assistance to the school's academic, arts and non-football athletic programs.
Norcross High School Foundation for Excellence - Home

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Do you think the E-SPLOST that Gwinnett county has a long track record of voting in has an impact on the actual quality of schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta