U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM

204 posts, read 187,522 times

Advertisements

On my cover letter I said I was living in North Carolina but moving to Atlanta in a month with or without a job. I submitted my resume to a few companies companies and two days later I got a call from a company that wanted to interview me later in the week. I called in sick to work that day and drove down to Atlanta for the interview. Two days later they called me and offered me a job.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,727,669 times
You guys make it sound easy as 1-2-3.....but for some of us that have skills that don't set up aside from the general population, it's hard..Currently in a city which Im trying to relocate from and Im having the hardest time due to being an out-of-state candidate. Very frustrating...By the way Rocco...great thread.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM

11,436 posts, read 4,437,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
My story is similar. I lived in Ohio and wanted to move elsewhere. Applied for a job with a major employer here, was flown down for a bunch of interviews, got the job, then relocated. They paid my expenses too.

Same for me, but it was a small non profit and Massachusetts to California.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
You guys make it sound easy as 1-2-3.....but for some of us that have skills that don't set up aside from the general population, it's hard..Currently in a city which Im trying to relocate from and Im having the hardest time due to being an out-of-state candidate. Very frustrating...By the way Rocco...great thread.

Well, sure, when I didn't have the skill set for anything more than entry level I just had to pick up and relocate at my expense then apply to jobs where I moved to. That only makes sense.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,727,669 times
Unfortunately for a lot of people, moving without a job lined up is not an option. Don't mind paying for my own relocation.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for a lot of people, moving without a job lined up is not an option. Don't mind paying for my own relocation.

I can't think of a situation where it really wouldn't be. You just need to save the funds to make it work. The reality is, for entry level or unskilled positions, there is no reason for an employer to consider non local candidates.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 869,953 times
Quote:

Thanks and all of the best to you.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM

408 posts, read 537,964 times
We were looking to move south. Husband set up a LinkedIn account (well, I did it for him), he updated his resume and then we put feelers out to companies he already had a relationship with at his previous employer. His new employer here is a vendor of his old employer. His new company paid for all relocation expenses but his is a higher level position. He's always looking for smart programmers/data people FYI and I like to help. Kharma and all.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 PM

1,655 posts, read 998,331 times
How? B4 I even started working each day I looked for a job for 3 hours out of my 8 hour day. I love using work hours to look for another job lol. After several months of doing this I got a job. What I dark period in my life. I was ready to leave the city I was in and I turned very moody until I finally got that job

Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 PM

163 posts, read 221,999 times
I know that what many of us (me included) are posting, it sounded easy. But to someone else's point, it depends on a lot of things:

1) Your career position (entry-level, mid-career, etc.),
2) Your specific chosen career (what you do, your skills, etc.)
3) The demand for people who do what you do
4) Your resume and how well it speaks to the needs of what the job poster is seeking
5) Your ability to hit the right people with your background and skills in a way that resonates with them

While I was able to quickly tweak my resume, post it, and then pretty much forget about it, it doesn't mean it was easy to get to that point. I am:

1) Someone with 20+ years of experience and master's level education (doesn't matter much, but it still gets attention on the resume).
2) Not particularly in a "hot" career--it's pretty specialized in terms of skills, but there are also a lot of people out there who do it.
3) See #2
4) In the communication (PR, marketing) field, so...if my resume doesn't quickly and easily sum up who I am, it's going nowhere. I've got it at the point where it always gets a good response, but that's largely because every single time a job came up, I tailored it TO THAT JOB, emphasizing the skills and qualities I had that they were looking for. I think that people overlook this a lot if they're early in their career. I'm a generalist, but if a position is asking for someone with PR experience, I am going to tweak the resume to play up EVERY SINGLE BIT of PR experience I have. Same if it's marketing comms, internal comms, etc. Not lying, just so we're clear: you have to pick what to play up, and you have to think about SEO screeners for electronic submissions, so use some of the same words in your resume and cover letter that they do in the job posting.
5) See #4.

It's something, honestly, that comes over time, all of it, and it requires work. It's not easy and it's not quick to learn that. And the resume is only the first step. I am a director. I have a team, and I have to interview others to be on my team. They fare much better in a 30-minute phone screen if they can:

1) Sum up their experience in a couple of minutes.
2) Offer examples of what they've done, and their results, when I ask.
3) Be themselves. I'm not looking for a robot. I want someone who's comfortable in his or her own skin, and it comes across even in a phone screen. I'm not saying everyone is like me, but I want someone who has that ease. You'll do better 90% of the time if you're yourself, as long as yourself isn't so insane it puts off the interviewer in the industry you're in.
4) Are open to doing things that fit their skill sets and the position, but that will require them to branch out and learn new things.

This isn't rocket science, and I'm not the end-all, be-all. My point is that it looks easy when we all post it this way, but it isn't. I think that those early in their careers and later in their careers have it harder, but it doesn't mean it never works out.

It's just hard work, landing a job. Even if it's all "behind the scenes," rather than in how you hit the "send" button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta