U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM

143 posts, read 187,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm surprised that Augusta employer didn't try to make you pay back all the perks and bonuses; they could have you know.

Also, I'm curious if you will include that one-month stint on your resume in the future, and how you'll explain it to future potential employers? That could come back to bite you.
They couldn't MAKE me pay it back because there was never any contract that I signed that said I would pay any of it back if I left within a certain time frame; additionally, if they tried to sue me, they couldn't prove to any kind preponderance of evidence that I took the job and signing bonus with the intention of walking. My defense would be that the job wasn't as advertised (and I have the posting vs. the duties that I was told when I was onboard) and that would be a truthful and valid defense and I would back that up with the 1 year lease I signed to rent a house there (the landlord was nice enough to let me break the lease...with a fee of course - thanks to that signing bonus).

And no, I won't be putting it on my resume because the duties that they wanted me to perform are not in line with my skills and desired position, so there is no need to do so. Also, my resume only lists months and years of employment. I started in Augusta at the beginning of the month...I started working in Atlanta at the end of that same month...so my resume does not appear to be missing anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,449,307 times
Thanks for all of the replies.......I'll be implementing a lot of the suggestions.

Keep'em coming!

Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM

55 posts, read 84,493 times
I applied for a graphic design job on AIGA right after I graduated based in Atlanta (as well as in other places), and during my first interview was told (a) we telecommute but (b) they still prefer everyone to live near Atlanta. So I said if I was offered the job I would move over as quickly as possible. I was hired and telecommuted from my parents' house for two weeks before finding and moving into an apartment in Duluth.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2k4 View Post
I applied for a graphic design job on AIGA right after I graduated based in Atlanta (as well as in other places), and during my first interview was told (a) we telecommute but (b) they still prefer everyone to live near Atlanta. So I said if I was offered the job I would move over as quickly as possible. I was hired and telecommuted from my parents' house for two weeks before finding and moving into an apartment in Duluth.

What state did you come from?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM

264 posts, read 820,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
You guys make it sound easy as 1-2-3.....but for some of us that have skills that don't set up aside from the general population, it's hard..Currently in a city which Im trying to relocate from and Im having the hardest time due to being an out-of-state candidate. Very frustrating...By the way Rocco...great thread.
One of my coworkers bought his cousin a prepaid phone with an Atlanta number so that he could make the potential employers think that he was in Atlanta when he was really in St. Louis., I don't know if it worked as I haven't asked about his cousin recently. With you being out of state and wanting to relocate maybe that's something you could try if you could get someone to purchase the phone for you and mail it back to you.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM

55 posts, read 84,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What state did you come from?
Alabama

Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2k4 View Post
Alabama

Thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 8,645 times
I've been in Atlanta off & on for the past 9 years. I went to school here, but didn't finish...primarily due to my father's cancer diagnosis - he was paying for most of my education. When I moved back home in 2008, I was 22 & really wanted to build a solid resume. I was an English major during my time at undergrad, but also had a burgeoning Photography hobby. Long-story-short, over four years...I worked in the Customer Service/Health Insurance field while taking courses at the local Community College for a Fine Arts Associate. Occasionally, I would travel to Atlanta & DC for various nightlife/fashion editorial shoots; building THAT portfolio.

After covering a New Years Eve 2013 event here in Atlanta, I decided to move back to the city by the end of summer. By this time, I had a solid Customer Service/Health Insurance resume AND an awesome Photography portfolio. I started applying in January. I used Indeed primarily, as well as friends/old college contacts who were already working at reputable companies. By March, I had a call back from one big-named company...interviewed over-the-phone...and secured the position, that started in July.

After my father's passing in June, I moved down here. Started the job in July, but quit in September - I was not happy. Between then & now, I accepted another position at a company in Kennesaw...but recently turned it down. Now, I just got hired with a well-known photography company in the city. I'm very excited about the new opportunity.

For me, relocating to a new city was all about years of planning to get myself to the point where I could be marketable. Atlanta is a great market for Customer Service. I feel like my journey back to Atlanta eventually lead me to what I love to do the most: Photography.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Great story with exception of your father's death.

I'm a well established middle to Sr. level manager in the facilities industry.

I see plenty of opportunities in the Atlanta area for my area of work.

It's just a matter of landing a opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjson View Post
I've been in Atlanta off & on for the past 9 years. I went to school here, but didn't finish...primarily due to my father's cancer diagnosis - he was paying for most of my education. When I moved back home in 2008, I was 22 & really wanted to build a solid resume. I was an English major during my time at undergrad, but also had a burgeoning Photography hobby. Long-story-short, over four years...I worked in the Customer Service/Health Insurance field while taking courses at the local Community College for a Fine Arts Associate. Occasionally, I would travel to Atlanta & DC for various nightlife/fashion editorial shoots; building THAT portfolio.

After covering a New Years Eve 2013 event here in Atlanta, I decided to move back to the city by the end of summer. By this time, I had a solid Customer Service/Health Insurance resume AND an awesome Photography portfolio. I started applying in January. I used Indeed primarily, as well as friends/old college contacts who were already working at reputable companies. By March, I had a call back from one big-named company...interviewed over-the-phone...and secured the position, that started in July.

After my father's passing in June, I moved down here. Started the job in July, but quit in September - I was not happy. Between then & now, I accepted another position at a company in Kennesaw...but recently turned it down. Now, I just got hired with a well-known photography company in the city. I'm very excited about the new opportunity.

For me, relocating to a new city was all about years of planning to get myself to the point where I could be marketable. Atlanta is a great market for Customer Service. I feel like my journey back to Atlanta eventually lead me to what I love to do the most: Photography.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,127,789 times
We still waiting on your official Atlanta thread man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or