Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,005,029 times

Advertisements

For those of you that moved here from another state BUT lined up your job before you moved, what was your process.

JOB TRANSFER SITUATIONS ARE NOT TO BE INCLUDED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 PM

163 posts, read 429,397 times
Honestly? I was looking for a job, one popped up on TheLadders.com (or maybe it was LinkedIn, I don't remember), it was located here. I was looking in the NY/NJ area, where I was born and had lived almost my entire life. To be truthful, I really wasn't interested in moving from NYC metro. However, the job description looked great, my resume fit it well, the company was great (Coca-Cola), so I said, what the hell, filled out the application, hit send, and forgot all about it, continuing to interview for several positions in NYC.

That was February 2012. I heard from them shortly after, interviewed with a billion people, and by late August 2012, I'd moved here.

I know that most others don't have it that easy, but it truly just randomly happened for me. Never look a gift horse and all that.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 PM

283 posts, read 358,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Honestly? I was looking for a job, one popped up on TheLadders.com (or maybe it was LinkedIn, I don't remember), it was located here. I was looking in the NY/NJ area, where I was born and had lived almost my entire life. To be truthful, I really wasn't interested in moving from NYC metro. However, the job description looked great, my resume fit it well, the company was great (Coca-Cola), so I said, what the hell, filled out the application, hit send, and forgot all about it, continuing to interview for several positions in NYC.

That was February 2012. I heard from them shortly after, interviewed with a billion people, and by late August 2012, I'd moved here.

I know that most others don't have it that easy, but it truly just randomly happened for me. Never look a gift horse and all that.
My story is similar. I lived in Ohio and wanted to move elsewhere. Applied for a job with a major employer here, was flown down for a bunch of interviews, got the job, then relocated. They paid my expenses too.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM

10,339 posts, read 11,347,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
For those of you that moved here from another state BUT lined up your job before you moved, what was your process.
One can also call the companies where they want to work and ask to speak to the people in charge of the departments that of interest to them, make friends with the people in charge of those departments at those companies that are of interest to you and talk your way into interviews if they are hiring.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM

386 posts, read 665,416 times
Landlord was a douche bag back in NYC. Typed in my job title and desired salary in one of those job search engines. Clicked the first ad, stalked some of the company's employee's on LinkedIn, saw multiple hot chicks, threw together a resume, emailed it to them, was hired 4 weeks later. Flew down and haven't really looked back. Although I do miss home every now and then.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,803,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Landlord was a douche bag back in NYC. Typed in my job title and desired salary in one of those job search engines. Clicked the first ad, stalked some of the company's employee's on LinkedIn, saw multiple hot chicks, threw together a resume, emailed it to them, was hired 4 weeks later. Flew down and haven't really looked back. Although I do miss home every now and then.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM

175 posts, read 372,283 times
We used a recruiter and had two job interviews within a week. He landed a job within three weeks. People are so negative about the Atlanta market, but this post alone should make you feel more optimistic. It depends on your line of work I'm sure but you should go for it.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahope1980 View Post
We used a recruiter and had two job interviews within a week. He landed a job within three weeks. People are so negative about the Atlanta market, but this post alone should make you feel more optimistic. It depends on your line of work I'm sure but you should go for it.

Fortunately for my line of work Atlanta and any city of over 250K population, has much too offer as a result of all of the schools, buildings, etc.....there is always work and opportunity in my field. I just need to get plugged in.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post

I'm going to get a LinkedIn profile up too.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,799,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

JOB TRANSFER SITUATIONS ARE NOT TO BE INCLUDED.
My first job here that resulted in my relocation? I called in sick, got in my car, and drove to ATL for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta