Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

Early March, in Panama City Beach, I got pulled over for driving too fast while a police officer was writing someone else a ticket. First I'd like to say that I did not see another officer on the side of the road nor did I see any flashing blue lights but I doubt I'd be able to prove that so I'm just going to ignore it. Secondly, after I got pulled over, the officer issued me a careless driving citation and said that because I lived in Georgia, all I would have to do is pay the fine. I looked down at the ticket and saw that it was only for $110 so I wasn't angry at all. When I got back home from PCB the following week, I reanalyzed the ticket and saw that the ticket I was issued wasn't even my ticket. It had the information to someone else, their car, as well as a completely different violation. The $110 was for an out taillight. I had no idea what to do at all and now, 6-7 months later, they sent me a debt letter saying I owed them $236. How do I go about handling this? Any advice and personal input will be much appreciated as well.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 AM

10,338 posts, read 11,339,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagodawgs View Post
Early March, in Panama City Beach, I got pulled over for driving too fast while a police officer was writing someone else a ticket. First I'd like to say that I did not see another officer on the side of the road nor did I see any flashing blue lights but I doubt I'd be able to prove that so I'm just going to ignore it. Secondly, after I got pulled over, the officer issued me a careless driving citation and said that because I lived in Georgia, all I would have to do is pay the fine. I looked down at the ticket and saw that it was only for $110 so I wasn't angry at all. When I got back home from PCB the following week, I reanalyzed the ticket and saw that the ticket I was issued wasn't even my ticket. It had the information to someone else, their car, as well as a completely different violation. The $110 was for an out taillight. I had no idea what to do at all and now, 6-7 months later, they sent me a debt letter saying I owed them $236. How do I go about handling this? Any advice and personal input will be much appreciated as well.
Talk to a GOOD traffic lawyer in the Panama City Beach area and see if it would be possible to maneuver your way towards eventually getting the ticket and the fine throw out since the original ticket had the information for someone else's violation on it.

You also need to talk to a lawyer to make sure that you do not have a warrant out for your arrest so that you do not possibly end up in jail and in a heap of trouble that will be even more costly than it already possibly could be on your next traffic stop or interaction with the police.

This sounds like a legal situation that you may most definitely need legal assistance with as soon as possible, so whatever you do, do not wait or let this go any further.

Handle this situation today before it possibly grows even worse.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,826,674 times
i'd talk to a lawyer here. from what i remember, there are certain states that don't extradite traffic tickets or accept extradited traffic tickets— this happened when my dad got pulled over in NC, and for technical reasons, he could have not paid the fine as long as he never went back through north carolina... but if he got pulled over again up there, he could be arrested (he paid the fine). but as long as he stayed in georgia, the ticket didn't have any legal standing.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 AM

386 posts, read 665,285 times
I thought if the ticket you're issued is incorrect in any way it's invalid.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,778,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagodawgs View Post
How do I go about handling this? Any advice and personal input will be much appreciated as well.

No one here can (or should) dispense what is essentially legal advice on such matters. Please take the one best piece of advice given and contact an actual attorney that deals with such matters (the yellow pages are overflowing with them). Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta