Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
WHAT? I hope you're being facetious.

First of all, a cell phone is NOT a necessity, nor am I or the gov responsible for providing you with one. For years, states had a "lifeline" phone offering for low cost landlines for low income people. Typically they cost $5 to $15 and provided only basic local calling. That was 30 years ago...$5 is a pittance for people to pay if they must have a cell phone.
It's the same Life Line service., Neil. Companies have just expanded it to the cell phone arena.
Quote:

In fact, the Federal Communications Commission, which oversees the service, tightened requirements last year after investigations found that the program was rife with fraud. The scams were perpetrated not only by individual beneficiaries but also by giant telecom companies, who are paid a $9.25 monthly subsidy for each customer.

Among other remedies, the FCC ended a $30 a month subsidy to phone companies for each new connection, saying it gave them a “perverse” incentive to sign up ineligible beneficiaries.
Yea, let's blame the poor again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Oh, I agree big cuts are needed to Corp Welfare and Military even more so. But we still need to stop trying to have government give people what it thinks they need. All government should be doing is ensuring people have the means to provide for themselves. Let the people be free to decide what is best for them.
Yet when people say let's push the government to raise the minimum wage and pay low-wage workers a living wage, people then turn around and say that someone who works at McDonald's is not smart. That such a job requires minimum skill and therefore a person working said job is undeserving of making enough money to not have to get food stamps to supplement their income or free cell phones because they can't afford a bill.

So the poor shouldn't get phone assistance, food stamps, medical care or a living wage. The poor can't win.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yet when people say let's push the government to raise the minimum wage and pay low-wage workers a living wage, people then turn around and say that someone who works at McDonald's is not smart. That such a job requires minimum skill and therefore a person working said job is undeserving of making enough money to not have to get food stamps to supplement their income or free cell phones because they can't afford a bill.

So the poor shouldn't get phone assistance, food stamps, medical care or a living wage. The poor can't win.
So true, I remember as a kid the only people who worked at McDonald's were my classmates, or other teenagers. Now fast food places are the entry level positions for adults, where do teenagers work? I rarely see HS age kids with jobs these days.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It's the same Life Line service., Neil. Companies have just expanded it to the cell phone arena.
Right, except it's free in most states with the "Obama-phone" program. Georgia is the first to institute the nominal fee, and that's getting the bleeding hearts all up in arms.

I agree, there used to be lifeline service previously that was a POTS landline for a nominal fee, and I have no issue with a similar program for cell service, since that's where the technology is now, but with an attendant fee.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Now fast food places are the entry level positions for adults, where do teenagers work? I rarely see HS age kids with jobs these days.
I have 3 teens...one in college and two are in HS. They all work.

My youngest daughter went and got hired at a local McDonalds, until they found out she was only 15, and they require kids to be 16. The manager was all too eager to hire her. She showed initiative to apply; dressed well; spoke clearly and communicated well; and generally showed a pleasant, can do attitude with a willingness to start at the bottom to make some spending money.

I contrast that with the attitude of many teens today who think the world owes them something, and they want to do the least amount of work for the greatest amount of money. I wonder where they get that from...hmmm? One only has to look to the "Occupy" types and Democrats, where the mantra is: Why work hard? Just demand free things from others and take over parks or streets and throw a tantrum to get it.

Also many kids today can't do math, can't speak or communicate clearly, and don't deserve to be hired.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:46 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

Along with about every federal and state welfare program, minimum wage should be ended too. Minimum wage increase unemployment. Replace all of it with a basic income. People will have enough to get their very basic needs and will not be forced to get jobs they don't really want so they can get welfare benefits. Any dollar on top of that you earn will not harm you. And people will be free to work towards what they actually want rather that a check-box on a form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: