Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 15,128 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job which is located right across the street from Perimeter Mall. I currently live in Acworth on my own, so I am definitely moving closer to avoid traffic.

Currently, I am searching for apartments within a mile of the office. Some are close enough to walk. Walking to work would be great but are there any pitfalls? Such as not enough "change of mode" time, the person that everyone will call on to work weekends b/c I live close or being the only one walking. I didn't like living on campus in college, as I was on campus all the time. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Also, suggestions for good apts around Perimeter would be nice. Additionally, are there any other places that don't have nasty commutes (Buckhead, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
It's a great area with a wide variety of restaurants and shopping of all kinds, everything from Nordstroms to Walmart. The Perimeter Community Improvement Districts is constantly working to find ways to enhance the goal of having the area be super pedestrian friendly and a prime live/work environment, and is in the process of re-working a free shuttle that runs around the entire area to add stops and additional shuttles. Perimeter Community Improvement Districts They were a big part of bringing the diverging diamond interchange to Ashford Dunwoody and 285, as well as major improvements along Ashford Dunwoody up and down from 285 past the Walmart area. Plus, you'll have access to two different MARTA stations, depending on where you end up living -- the Dunwoody Station and the Sandy Springs station on the northwest corner of the Perimeter area. At least two Starbucks :-), a 12-theater movie

I just spent a year out of state with my husband on a temporary assignment. I ended up finding a job that was literally 244 steps from my house to the office. I could leave the house at 7:55 and be early for 8:00 work -- I loved it, it was so easy to pop home for lunch, relax, walk the dog, etc. And the area I was living in was MUCH less interesting than the Perimeter area!! And you'll have MARTA very handy, whenever you want to head to Buckhead, Midtown or downtown.

Lots and lots of apartments in the area -- also, don't forget to check out the condominiums surrounding the area for individual rentals, too. Between Target and the Mall you have Amli, north of Target is Walton Ashwood and the back door to Windsor at Mt. Vernon. Clustered around Ashford Dunwoody is The Point At Perimeter, the Gables Metropolitan, Ashford Park Apartments, Perimeter Lofts, Savannah at Park Place, Axis at Perimeter, Asbury Square, Post Crossing, and, a bit further up, Jefferson at Perimeter, as well as a few others. You won't have any trouble finding an apartment :-), it just depends on how much you want to spend, the amenities that are important to you and how many bedrooms.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
There is an AMLI at Perimeter place in the shopping center that houses the Target, Taco Mac, Carrabas, etc. That would put you close enough to walk in to work.

Another alternative are the apartments up Peachtree Dunwoody Rd which would put you in walking distance of the North Springs MARTA station which would give you a nice alternative to having to drive to the airport.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 AM

329 posts, read 638,319 times
walking to work is great... dont worry about any "change of mode" time, as soon as you get out of your office and walk, you won't think about the work you are leaving behind. don't forget, its great exercise too.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
I think living close enough to work to walk would be great. That area has a lot of good restaurants as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Pretty much every apt complex on Ashford Dunwoody Rd is nice, both those inside and outside the perimeter. I suggest you just drive down the street and visit some so you can get a feel for the area.

I am all for a short commute and the drive to and from Acworth to Perimeter will be awful if you do it during rush hour. Even though I work in Marietta and live in Kennesaw, I've had to commute to OTP Sandy Springs some mornings and the traffic is so bad that I swear I just felt like turning back sometimes.

I'm trying my level best to get out and actually found a pretty cool site that rates things like the walkability of apartments, http://www.walkscore.com/.

In concept, I think being able to walk to work is great. In practice, I do not believe it would be the best idea ever if you value your privacy.

Among tons of things, what if I call in sick and go to Walgreens pharmacy looking like a train wreck, do I really want to risk running into co-workers? What if I call in sick for a bs mental health break, can I take the stress of potentially getting busted while leaving my apt because the office is right there? Do I necessarily want to run into co-workers driving by while walking the dog or going out to eat? This does not mean I believe it couldn't happen if I lived a bit further away, but I'm really upping the odds if I'm within walking distance. In short, I prefer a little more separation between home and work.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
When I first moved to Atlanta, I lived in Gables Metropolitan and walked to work. It was awesome not having to deal with a car. There are lots of good places to eat around there. If your not lazy, you could almost walk to everything around there. Convenient access to MARTA.
Quote:
Pretty much every apt complex on Ashford Dunwoody Rd is nice, both those inside and outside the perimeter. I suggest you just drive down the street and visit some so you can get a feel for the area.
Not true. Stay away from Ashford Park Apts and Jefferson at Perimeter. Defiantly stay along the Ashford-Dunwoody Corridor, Chamblee-Dunwoody Corridor is too far away from most amenities. What's your price range?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM

329 posts, read 638,319 times
I used to live in Gables Metro too, and the farthest I've walked was past the Dunwoody MARTA station, almost to Peachtree Dunwoody Rd.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
In concept, I think being able to walk to work is great. In practice, I do not believe it would be the best idea ever if you value your privacy.

Among tons of things, what if I call in sick and go to Walgreens pharmacy looking like a train wreck, do I really want to risk running into co-workers? What if I call in sick for a bs mental health break, can I take the stress of potentially getting busted while leaving my apt because the office is right there? Do I necessarily want to run into co-workers driving by while walking the dog or going out to eat? This does not mean I believe it couldn't happen if I lived a bit further away, but I'm really upping the odds if I'm within walking distance. In short, I prefer a little more separation between home and work.

Well, what you have to remember is that your co-workers, most likely, do NOT live in your complex or in the neighborhood, and probably don't hang out at the local Walgreens during the work day. So the chance of you running into them while you are running in with your antibiotic prescription with your hair pulled back in a scrunchie are pretty slim. Your co-workers will most likely be in their cars, racing home -- they won't be pulling over to the side of the road to chat with you as you walk your dog.

The minute you walk out of your office, you have as much privacy as you want. No one is going to be following you from the office and hammering on your apartment door screaming, "COME BACK TO WORK!!!"

And, frankly, if you make a habit of lying to your employer, you probably SHOULD feel guilty about being caught out if you are kicked back at the patio at Cafe Intermezzo enjoying a coffee with a visiting girlfriend and a co-worker comes by on their way to Eclipse for lunch.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
...And, frankly, if you make a habit of lying to your employer, you probably SHOULD feel guilty about being caught... for lunch.
I knew when I used that as an example, this was coming but of course I do not make a habit of it. However, anyone who says they have never called in sick when they weren't is lying. I've listened to many employees spin a pretty good yarn over the years and let it go. May as well stay where they're at because they're not going to do anything constructive when they get here.

Just because most employees don't live near work does not mean they don't often play near work. I'm not in a micro-managed environment so it would not be uncommon to bump into a co-worker who ran up to Walgreens to quickly pick up something.

I am siimply saying, short commute = yes, walking distance = no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta