Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times

Advertisements

I know that for years Clayton County has had bad things happen in it (most to do with bad leadership), but with all of the negitivity going on why isn't anyone doing anything? People in other counties speak up about their community and actually change things. Instead of talking about the school system and bad leaders, why not try to change them. I know i'm ranting but there has to be somebody who cares about where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I know that for years Clayton County has had bad things happen in it (most to do with bad leadership), but with all of the negitivity going on why isn't anyone doing anything? People in other counties speak up about their community and actually change things. Instead of talking about the school system and bad leaders, why not try to change them. I know i'm ranting but there has to be somebody who cares about where they live.
But one of the main problems that may keep something from being done on a large scale about Clayton County's issues is that the county has a very-large population of transient residents (from outside the county or state or country), many of whom live near, at or under the poverty line.

For many of those lower-earning transient residents, day-to-day survival is likely their primary concern and many of them whom move into the community from elsewhere may not even be keenly aware of the issues that may be going on within the political climate of their new (or newest) community.

What may seem like some really whacked-out politics to us in the Atlanta region may seem like a breath of fresh air for someone who may have been literally living 'hand-to-mouth' and barely surviving in someplace like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo or the southside of Chicago.

Lack-of-participation in local politics is not only a problem in Clayton County, but is also a problem in Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett counties where there are also extremely-high populations of transient residents, its just that Clayton seemingly has a much-lower percentage of more politically-involved affluent residents than the other four core metro counties which each have their own very-substantial issues with voter apathy at times.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 PM

567 posts, read 889,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I would say that on this forum, I am one of the few individuals that constantly defends the county. And I can honestly say that I love my county. Flaws and all, this is my home. I recognize both its downfalls and its opportunties. And I would say their is a number of us in this county that feel the same way. However, the task of uprooting a lousy poltical system and fighting against voter apathy is daunting. So what do I do? I do the little things, In the areas that I frequent, I hold fellow property owners and local goverment public places accountable. If I see that trash is being thrown around or grass is overgrown, I call and call until these issues are resolved. If there is some sort of defacement of public property, I call until that's resolved. I particpate in community forums and county meetings. However, I'm just one person. We exist demonta, but it seems like we are far and few between :/

Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM

68 posts, read 134,129 times
Nothing can be done about Clayton County. There is a reason I never go to the southside of town.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
Nothing can be done about Clayton County. There is a reason I never go to the southside of town.
That is a silly outlook to have.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
The airport is in Clayton County. I suppose you never fly?!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
I don't know how much can be done for Clayton. It seems like most of the county is either aging starter homes or aging multi-family units. What do you do with that? Tear it down? Not likely, not necessary.

As far as I can see, it will continue to be a place offering housing for low income residents. There are some nice areas scattered about, but the bad far outweighs the good.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM

567 posts, read 889,460 times
IMO one of the main problems in the county is economic development department. The department's leadership is seemingly jaded and thus lack the level of optimism and creativity needed in communities like these. It definitely doesn't help that we lost our deputy director as well. The problem is there is no vision. As a long as those in power view it as a lost cause it will be. Unless the people view it differently. My question is the following..how can I as a resident with a vision connect with a developer and then later the county in order to enact a plan for development?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
If I was a developer, the only way I would do anything in Clayton is if it had an immediate payout. The government is unstable. The citizens have skewed standards for elected officals. I wouldn't trust that any promises would be fulfilled. The only worthwhile project for a developer would be one with a quick pay off, no long term investment. Unfortunately, those generally have a long term negative effect on the area.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times
I just received a tweet (https://twitter.com/Bellamagistra/st...138752/photo/1) that the Jonesboro High Mock Trial Team just won the state championship.

Just shows that not all Clayton teens are thugs.

Congrats to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta