U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM

13,422 posts, read 16,981,227 times

Advertisements

HOLD ON THERE COMPADRES! This ain't about TRANSIT ... LOL!

It's about a new effort by the Fayette Chamber to establish a countywide vision for future growth and development in the county, specifically economic and job growth. In a stunning about-face, Fayette County leaders now realize that it cannot remain a quiet, semi-rural bedroom community forever and stay economically viable. As this letter in The Citizen explains, they have looked to Williamson County, TN for inspiration and have already held a community forum that brought together a healthy mix of stakeholders who offered up widespread support:

"Committee members were confident that our community of highly educated and involved citizens, along with our desirable geography and proximity to metro Atlanta, would benefit tremendously from its own visioning process.

The steering committee also concluded that Fayette citizens were clearly up to the task, and would be well served by some expert assistance. After a two-month search, the committee asked two consulting organizations to present proposals to some 150 Fayette County citizens last Friday at the Dolce Conference Center.

That very mixed audience of elected officials, business owners, high school students, non-profit workers, retirees, entrepreneurs, executives, and others listened intently and questioned the briefers for two hours."

Though still very much in the beginning process, I'd say this is evidence of very good days ahead for Fayette County!

This letter was just published today and thus far has none of the usual cynical reader comments that are typical of the Fayette Citizen's readership. I'm anxious to see what the reaction will be ... positive I pray!

Fayette County is on the move

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-22-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 AM

Another very encouraging letter about the future of Fayette County, this one by County Chairman Steve Brown.

Fayette County drifted into a state of dormancy prior to the recession. There was no vision. Once the recession hit, we began a slow decline with property values sinking and sales tax revenue flattening. Our economic fog will soon be lifting. It is absolutely imperative that we get our county back to a competitive state of mind.

Fayette rode the top of the quality of life wave for over a decade. Our stellar statistical accomplishments were the envy of the entire state.

We are now in a position where our quality of life numbers are being surpassed by other metropolitan jurisdictions. Forsyth County to the north now takes the top honors with schools, median income and median home values. They are also attracting the top job prospects....

Again, many of the things he is calling for here would have gotten previous elected officials thrown out of office. New roads? Police consolidation? Sewers? PUBLIC ART?!?!

The arrival of Pinewood Studios has indeed been a "game changer" for Fayette. I'm hearing longtime residents express pride in the community and faith in the future that I haven't heard in years. People are actually starting to think "what can we become?" rather than worrying about the way things used to be. Good days are ahead!

Brown: Must seize opportunities for Fayette

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-27-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM

13,600 posts, read 22,053,050 times
Like.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM

29,394 posts, read 26,351,880 times
Fayette is on fire again.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,642,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

In a stunning about-face, Fayette County leaders now realize that it cannot remain a quiet, semi-rural bedroom community forever and stay economically viable.
I don't know how to take that line. To me that screams DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT. I like what they are doing right now, I love the studio and the supposed educational component. But with all of that, we need to make sure that Fayette County does continue to remain a quiet semi rural county. Its difference between us and Clayton, Henry, and Coweta (to a lesser extent).

The one thing that will always keep Fayette a much nicer place to live than Clayton or Henry is our zoning. We don't need more neighborhoods. I loathe more multi-family units, but can live with it when it is across the street from the studio. We certainly DON"T need to destroy the rural character of the county by over development.

I know that is probably not what you are saying News. But that along with the plan for "West Fayetteville" pop up fears of speculative development. This could be and likely is the best thing ever to happen to Fayette County. It also could be the worst if too much development comes along without the demand or tax credits are revoked.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I don't know how to take that line. To me that screams DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT. I like what they are doing right now, I love the studio and the supposed educational component. But with all of that, we need to make sure that Fayette County does continue to remain a quiet semi rural county. Its difference between us and Clayton, Henry, and Coweta (to a lesser extent).

The one thing that will always keep Fayette a much nicer place to live than Clayton or Henry is our zoning. We don't need more neighborhoods. I loathe more multi-family units, but can live with it when it is across the street from the studio. We certainly DON"T need to destroy the rural character of the county by over development.

I know that is probably not what you are saying News. But that along with the plan for "West Fayetteville" pop up fears of speculative development. This could be and likely is the best thing ever to happen to Fayette County. It also could be the worst if too much development comes along without the demand or tax credits are revoked.
Tiki, you're blinded to reality and missing the point: Fayette County CAN NOT remain a "semi-rural bedroom community" and stay economically viable. How can the economy grow and thrive if there is "no more development" ?! Where are new residents going to live if there are "no more neighborhoods" ?! Surely you cannot be serious!

But the GREATEST challenge is this: Where will Fayette County's young people work and live? What will bring young families back into the county? For more than 30 years, the county's population growth was primarily driven by established families already with school-age children. They moved here for the schools, yes, but they were also the only ones who could afford it -- the average price of a home in Fayette County has always been twice the Metro average. By design, there WAS no entry-level housing, or very little that first-time homebuyers (young families) could afford. Sad to say, in an attempt to keep the county "upper class," many young people were priced out. I graduated high school in the 1980s, and many of my classmates are JUST NOW able to afford to live in Fayette County. Hundreds of them instead live in Coweta and Henry. Indeed, much of the population growth in East Coweta over the past 20 years has been due to Fayette County kids who couldn't afford to move back to the place where they grew up.

This phenomenon has had an enormously complicated impact on the schools. For many years, Fayette County has been the ONLY school district in Metro Atlanta (maybe the state) where the MIDDLE and HIGH SCHOOLS enrolled more children than the elementary grades. Why? Because families with teenagers were more likely to be able to afford to live here.

In fact, because of the remarkably low drop out rate and culture of academic excellence (ie competitiveness), Fayette has historically seen the enrollment grow with each passing grade -- right up through high school. In 2011, Fayette County Schools enrolled 1,295 1st graders, 1,645 6th graders and 1,874 12th graders!!!

When the recession hit, not only did new home construction (and population growth) stop, but turnover of existing homes to newcomers stopped. Families with children stopped moving in -- and school enrollment dropped dramatically! Of course, everybody blamed the Board of Education for "overbuilding" but it clearly wasn't their fault!

Couples whose children are grown and gone aren't moving to retirement communities on the coast; they're staying put. As a result, the average age of Fayette County residents has gotten VERY high. The community has aged at a remarkable rate, and that must be addressed. Young people are needed! But to draw them back, there must be jobs, housing and a "lifestyle" that appeals to them.

NOBODY is advocating for Fayette County to abandon it's long-held policies of slow, controlled, quality growth. They are simply stating that a healthier mix is necessary for survival. This story in the Fayette County News better explains the chamber goals than the first link in this thread. Read it and get back to me. I think you'll change your tune.

News, Classifieds, legal announcements, sports, advertising, Articles and information in Fayette, Coweta, South Atlanta, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Tyrone and Senoia, Georgia

Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Ok news. You should choose your words a little better man. Blinded to reality? Come on.
I think there is an extremely high risk of over zealous developers coupling up with friendly commissioners and speculating Fayette County's real estate into the tubes. Look along 54 W, virtually one company owns and is selling all the land in that area. Something about that doesn't sit right with me. It makes for a much more friendly scenario to collusion.
And more starter homes in Fayette? Uhhh, no thanks. It is the lack of starter homes that helped Fayette weather the s storm that Clayton and now Henry are going through. I understand your point about the schools, but its not worth it. We need to attract younger people, yes. But more apartments and starter home neighborhoods w/ 1/4 acre lots are not the answer.
I see your talk of development and try to look down the line. If these tax credits and removed and that studio moves out, what is all the development based on? Now we have too much housing stock, values go down, the schools go farther down with it, and then we are worse off than if we never had a studio move in.
I like the idea of attracting corporate campuses, more high end industry, etc. But that needs to come before real estate developers go all out. I guess we agree, we need a mix, we need to attract business. But the speculative BS needs to be avoided like the plague.
And yes, we need to remain a quiet semi-rural county. That is absolutely compatible with the type of high end development Fayette should attract.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,560,404 times
It should be noted that many development (or OVERdevelopment) minded interests in Henry County think that Henry County is UNDERdeveloped (...many of those development-minded interests have openly and repeatedly espoused an intense desire to be to South Metro Atlanta what Gwinnett County is to North Metro Atlanta).It can also be argued that if were not located on the Northside next to Lake Allatoona relatively close to the mountains directly on a major transcontinental superhighway (I-75), Cobb County would likely be in a similar position to Fayette because of its tax credits geared towards attracting senior citizens and retirees and a historical emphasis on ATTEMPTING (seemingly unsuccessfully) to limit the amount of rental property and lower-end single-family homes in the county.But Cobb's location on the Northside on a major transcontinental Interstate superhighway near the lake and the mountains made it virtually impossible for the county's residents to fight off the overdevelopment interests.If Fayette County were located directly on a major transcontinental Interstate superhighway (or even an Interstate spur), we would likely be having a totally different conversation about development (see neighboring Coweta and Henry counties, or almost any OTP suburban county in North Metro Atlanta).Fayette's location on the Southside away from any superhighways and away from major lakes or mountain ranges has made it much easier to limit overdevelopment, something that has never really been an option (or at least has not been an option for many years) in other metro counties, particularly on the overdeveloped and overpopulated Northside.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Latest update Here

Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It should be noted that many development (or OVERdevelopment) minded interests in Henry County think that Henry County is UNDERdeveloped (...many of those development-minded interests have openly and repeatedly espoused an intense desire to be to South Metro Atlanta what Gwinnett County is to North Metro Atlanta).It can also be argued that if were not located on the Northside next to Lake Allatoona relatively close to the mountains directly on a major transcontinental superhighway (I-75), Cobb County would likely be in a similar position to Fayette because of its tax credits geared towards attracting senior citizens and retirees and a historical emphasis on ATTEMPTING (seemingly unsuccessfully) to limit the amount of rental property and lower-end single-family homes in the county.But Cobb's location on the Northside on a major transcontinental Interstate superhighway near the lake and the mountains made it virtually impossible for the county's residents to fight off the overdevelopment interests.If Fayette County were located directly on a major transcontinental Interstate superhighway (or even an Interstate spur), we would likely be having a totally different conversation about development (see neighboring Coweta and Henry counties, or almost any OTP suburban county in North Metro Atlanta).Fayette's location on the Southside away from any superhighways and away from major lakes or mountain ranges has made it much easier to limit overdevelopment, something that has never really been an option (or at least has not been an option for many years) in other metro counties, particularly on the overdeveloped and overpopulated Northside.
Good points all around.

I have always considered it a blessing that no interstate touches Fayette County. I think Fayette is great for the metro in that it offer a different experience than other metro counties. . Due to the land use plans and the points mentioned above, Fayette has escaped the over development that has defined many of the suburban counties.

Fayette isn't for everyone, but it plays a role in diversifying the lifestyle choices in Metro Atlanta. I hope Fayette sticks to the brand while attracting diverse high end, low density development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or