Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
I was trying to not just come out and say that
But its kinda true...I've been in Atlanta for 2 years and I've noticed that the majority of black men that I have met that have the same type of background as I do are dating white women. A lot of black women think of Atlanta as this mecca of educated black men and they move here thinking they are going to 'snatch up' one of them and end up disappointed.
I married a black woman so I did my part to help with the shortage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,242 times
I see that a lot of black women make too many big expectations on what a man should be from being caught up with Jesus, the media, and just there plain dreaming. I'm a good looking black male(a little above average looks) , have a career and few other things going for myself, but since I don't act like what they see on and, I don't fit into the convservative black male look, they don't know where to fit me, so they just keep it movin. I think if black women and generally people on a whole just lowered there unreasonably high exepectations we all would be much happier. Every woman is not gonna look and have a body like Beyonce and every man is not gonna be Morris Chestnut or Brad Pitt.

Also I forgot to add that the person who may make you happy may not be the same color as you. I dated a white girl when I was younger and got caught up in the "why you gotta be with a white girl" and eventually we split becuase I was ashamed to be with a white girl. So basiclly I tell everybody leave no door closed;your treasure may be behind it if you choose to explore!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 05:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
think if black women and generally people on a whole just lowered there unreasonably high exepectations we all would be much happier. Every woman is not gonna look and have a body like Beyonce and every man is not gonna be Morris Chestnut or Brad Pitt.
So true...this plays a large part...

Old 11-23-2007, 03:16 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
I was listening last week and reported that statistics reveal that about 8 out of every 10 Black women are either overweight or obese.
The current definitions of "overweight" and "obese" are somewhat questionable, however, especially since they seem to fail to take into account that a certain amount of extra weight might actually be healthy, at least in some situations.

Nothing is simple.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The current definitions of "overweight" and "obese" are somewhat questionable, however, especially since they seem to fail to take into account that a certain amount of extra weight might actually be healthy, at least in some situations.

Nothing is simple.
That may be true and all but the eyes don't lie. Dr Smith didn't come up with the idea of this 50 million pound challenge for nothing.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 19,793 times
I think everything mention in this thread is garage. There are plenty of successful HIGHLY PAID black men in Atlanta (who are not running to white women). The "white woman" card is nothing but an excuse. The fact is black women like everybody else are picky plain and simple. The same can be said for the men. People are going to go with who they are attracted to no matter what there race is or how much money they make. For the woman, it may be from a variety of reasons which include the brother being too short, too fat, too unattractive, too nice etc. For the brother, she may be too fat, too dark, too aggressive, whatever. There is nothing wrong with being picky, but I am tired of people lying to themselves about why they are single.

It is said that around 70% of all black women are single on Oprah not to long ago. I don't know how truth this statistic is, but I think people would be kidding themselves if they are trying to say most highly paid black men are running to white woman. The small percentage of NBA and NFL players don't count.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 PM

40 posts, read 160,041 times
Black this, white that...

Why don't people just start getting to know eachother and fall in love with the person and not the stereotypes...

Okokok - you all can scream now, "Go to Oprah, go to OPRAH!" LOL

Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What's more ironic is that, I believe there are stats where about roughly the same percentage of Black women that are single is close to the same percentage of single Black men within the same age range. So the potential is there, but it seems like people in general are scared to commit due to things like crazy expectations and another factor that people don't think about in that marriage isn't taken as seriously nowadays. Just look at the ridiculous divorce rate in this country and it hits various racial and ethnic groups.

Check this out from a Washington Post article from 2006:The marriage rate for African Americans has been dropping since the 1960s, and today, we have the lowest marriage rate of any racial group in the United States. In 2001, according to the U.S. Census, 43.3 percent of black men and 41.9 percent of black women in America had never been married, in contrast to 27.4 percent and 20.7 percent respectively for whites. African American women are the least likely in our society to marry. In the period between 1970 and 2001, the overall marriage rate in the United States declined by 17 percent; but for blacks, it fell by 34 percent.

This make me ask, since the percentages are close, why haven't these people bridged that gap?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,639 times
plenty of good black men in atlanta, instead of looking for them in the strip club or the nightclub look for them at the local colleges, in the bookstores, in the musems, political or business functions, sporting events, etc

Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
plenty of good black men in atlanta, instead of looking for them in the strip club or the nightclub look for them at the local colleges, in the bookstores, in the musems, political or business functions, sporting events, etc
Good point. Additionally, I have had friends who only dated useless guys because the nice guys were not "masculine enough". To me there is nothing masculine about getting someone pregnant and not being responsible. There is a serious problem in our community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta